Editorial: Hits and misses - Our take on the week in news

The city of Oroville is lucky to get a man of former Sheriff Perry Reniff's stature to serve as police chief, if only for a few months. Full Story
juanita

Paradise, CA

#1 Feb 6, 2010
why not free parking? Malls have acres of parking, paid for by the merchants who profit off my business. Downtown Chico is like a bird in a cage - the efforts made to prop it up only make it less desirable.
Jim Brobeck

United States

#2 Feb 6, 2010
Free parking on acres of asphalt can only happen when commercial developers are allowed to break ground on undeveloped landscapes. Juanita, I think you know as well as anyone that the current social-economic system that encourages us to think casual, habitual, daily operation of motor vehicles is normal must change. Either we allow ourselves to adopt a more body-centric mode of mobility or the natural restraints of equitable distribution of resources including our planet's atmosphere will force the change on us.
Jim Brobeck

United States

#3 Feb 6, 2010
I agree with David's praise of the Butte Fire Safe Council's community chipper program that helps rural residents to reduce brush removed to create defensible space in our fire-evolved landscape. I am proud to coordinate the chipper program in Cohasset and look forward to serving residents. I encourage people to support Butte Fire Safe Council by joining our "Wildfire Safe Neighbors Membership Program." This will help us move forward in helping people live in harmony with inevitable wildfire incidents. Check out the Fire Safe Council website:
http://www.thenet411.net/
LongTime Local

Marysville, CA

#4 Feb 6, 2010
Hey David-
How about using the Newman incident as the basis for an investigative series on heavy-handed and wasteful policies an the USFS? I thought we were in the midst of a national economic crisis. I was stunned to see time and resources devoted to punishing a hard working citizen over what can only be described as trivial infraction.

Since: Oct 09

Chico, CA

#6 Feb 6, 2010
LongTime Local wrote:
Hey David-
...I was stunned to see time and resources devoted to punishing a hard working citizen over what can only be described as trivial infraction.
Amen!
Old timer

Grants Pass, OR

#7 Feb 7, 2010
LongTime Local wrote:
Hey David-
How about using the Newman incident as the basis for an investigative series on heavy-handed and wasteful policies an the USFS? I thought we were in the midst of a national economic crisis. I was stunned to see time and resources devoted to punishing a hard working citizen over what can only be described as trivial infraction.
Agreed

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Cross Country Skiing Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Injured Justyna Kowalczyk wins 10km cross-count... (Feb '14) Feb '14 Smith 1
IOC reprimands athletes for commemorating the dead (Feb '14) Feb '14 RayOne 2
Picture of twin toilets in Sochi goes viral (Jan '14) Jan '14 Uh Clem 15
cross country in October (Feb '13) Feb '13 conor 1
electric socks (Jan '11) Jan '13 monty 2
Ramer Ski Bindings (Sep '12) Sep '12 Stephen 1
Marathon ski trail in Laurentians to stay open ... (Feb '12) Feb '12 Paul 1
More from around the web