Rare spirit - Hawaii News

Full story: Honolulu Star-Bulletin

Despite suffering a rare type of cancer, a teenager refuses to allow the disease to slow down his life By Helen Altonn POSTED: 01:30 a.m. HST, Aug 03, 2009 Return to Paginated View The first thing 13-year-old Gavyn Takamoto asked his doctor when told he had a very rare, very aggressive tumor, was whether he'd be able to go on a vacation in June.
Comments
21 - 39 of 39 Comments Last updated Apr 7, 2011
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Byron Ogata

Honolulu, HI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 3, 2009

Thank you all for the kind words and support for my grandson Gavyn. Please keep your thoughts and prayers coming. Gavyn's long road to recovery is just beginning. It will be a long and rough journey but with Gavyn's positive attitude and loving support of family and friends, Gavyn has a good chance of beating this rare cancer. Hope to see some of you at the fundraiser on August 16th.
Richard

Koloa, HI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 3, 2009

With that spirit, you can be a U.S. Marine. You would make a good one.
Good luck.

Since: Oct 07

Honolulu, HI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 3, 2009

Dear,Gavyn Thank you, thank you for the simple way that you put things into perspective reading your story and the courage that you have humbles me.You and all the "other" sick children are in my prayers take care and may the good lord keep you in his loving care.

Since: Oct 07

Honolulu, HI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 3, 2009

Oahu Portagee wrote:
<quoted text>
It makes me VERY ashamed grumbling about having to sit in traffic or not being able to find parking at the mall, or about a restaurant taking too long for my food, etc. Very insignificant things that really don't matter.
You hit the nail spot on. This story made me feel ashamed too and also greatful. Good post.
Aging Observer

Honolulu, HI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 3, 2009

Judged:

I was saddened because my shoes were tattered until I looked at the man next to me and saw he had no feet.

There will always be someone who is better off than you and someone who is worse off than you.

The foregoing remind me of my good fortune. And now I have Gavyn's inspiring story to remind me that the key to life is being positive. Be grateful for what you have been blessed with. Angels like Gavyn are special. Best always to you!
sue

Lahaina, HI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 3, 2009

Judged:

Keep your spirits high, keep fighting! It's a special person like you who makes us all understand what life is all about and puts things in to perspective....
Wrat Tayle

Mililani, HI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 3, 2009

Gavyn, best wishes. Keep up the good fight.
bobby

Hilo, HI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 3, 2009

of course, everyone is pulling for gavyn...
ocean lady

Kailua, HI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 4, 2009

a truly inspirational young man ... you go guy!
justornot

Pearl City, HI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 4, 2009

gavyn...i'm so ashamed to say this but you having this terrible illness frightens me. how brave you are...i so worry about my family members getting sick and look at you...so brave and positive...hopefully i will learn from this...prayers for you and your family...
P Robertson

Damariscotta, ME

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 6, 2009

We have an online yahoo support group for desmoplastic small round cell tumor with ours who are also fighting this disease. You are welcome to join us to share information and resources.

Best wishes to you and your family. We understand.

http://health.groups.yahoo.com/group/DSRCT/
Kendra Dill

Grand Prairie, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 6, 2009

You sound so much like my daughter.
She to has the desmoplastic small round cell tumor. She was diagnosed in April.
Stay strong.
Kendra n Taylor
caringbridge.org/visit/taylorhargrove
Ps this is her website if you want to read about her
ldykaraoke

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 15, 2009

Gavyn, God bless you & keep up your positive attitude. You are an inspiration to my family. I remember you when you were just a baby & later on I saw you when you were maybe 3 yrs. old, hitting golf balls in your grandparents backyard. You were good too. You were determined to hit those balls & with that same determination you're fighting this cancer, so I believe in my heart you're going to make it. Keep up the spirit & God be with you.
ken hayase-fong

Wahiawa, HI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 31, 2010

Judged:

he my best friend and i love very much i hope better and ashley i told i wasnt lying about him. your very support of me.
Hack

Honolulu, HI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 31, 2010

Judged:

Cough, barf, puke. EEEeeewww 2009 old histrionics?
Anti Alice

Houston, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 31, 2010

Judged:

Truly humbling and inspirational.
Best of luck to you, Gavyn.
name

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 7, 2011

Gavyn passed away about a week ago. Although I didn't know him well, it makes me think about what I have in life.
alice

Kaneohe, HI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 7, 2011

Judged:

RIP!
NephewSlippah

Honolulu, HI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 7, 2011

Judged:

Yup, *Splat*.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Bobsledding Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Farewell, Sochi! Russia closes costliest Olympics Mar '14 NoOneCaresAfter 4
US athletes feeling safe (Feb '14) Feb '14 USA Today 1
The Biggest Loser RECAP 1/14/14: Season 15 Epis... (Jan '14) Jan '14 Wang 2
Ed Rampell:`Uncle Tiger' is not out of the wood... (Feb '10) Oct '13 zionist Hollywood 7
Cool Todd Hays Bobsledding Video (May '13) May '13 bobsleddingvillain 1
How Does the Iditarod Race Work? (Mar '10) Apr '13 Marilyn 3
Boob Sledding Through the Arctic (Feb '13) Apr '13 michellepain 47

Search the Bobsledding Forum:
•••
•••