American Success / U.S. athletes are ...

American Success / U.S. athletes are silencing host country's boasts

There are 10 comments on the SFGate story from Feb 23, 2010, titled American Success / U.S. athletes are silencing host country's boasts. In it, SFGate reports that:

About that "Own the Podium" thing? Right phrase, wrong country. While Canada came into the Vancouver Winter Olympics hoping to send more athletes to the podium for gold, silver and bronze medals than ever before, it is the United States atop the medals chart, running away from everyone else.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at SFGate.

frack

Kelowna, Canada

#1 Feb 27, 2010
Canada is still leading in terms of most gold medals won, and the US population is 8x that of Canada- percentile wise, I'm fairly certain that puts Canada on top. Good for them I say. Its a personal best, and I bet they're incredibly happy about their performances, which is more than I can say for a lot of other countries who cry and glower upon receiving their -silver- medals: hint hint, US women's hockey... buck up ladies, you didn't lose gold, you won silver.
Nice Try

Niagara-on-the-lake, Canada

#2 Feb 27, 2010
A number of American trolls have been seeking out and posting articles like this in a vain attempt to bash Canada.

To Roboblogger - nice try, but ultimately a dismal failure.

Quote from the article: "At the conclusion of Saturday night's events, Americans had won 23 medals with eight days of competition remaining. Canada has eight."

This article was written on Feb 21st.

We have 25 medals now, as well as more gold medals than any country, and have also tied the record for most gold medals in winter olympic history.

OOPSIE!!! No medal for you. Canada wins again.
usaLosesOlympics

Mississauga, Canada

#3 Feb 27, 2010
lol, what kind of moron would claim victory with 8 days left. lol. oh,nevermindddddddd. way to win it all Canada, 13 gold, record setting and amazing. way to rock the bronze podium usa ;]
Rules R Rules

Santa Fe, NM

#4 Feb 28, 2010
Nice Try wrote:
A number of American trolls have been seeking out and posting articles like this in a vain attempt to bash Canada.
To Roboblogger - nice try, but ultimately a dismal failure.
Quote from the article: "At the conclusion of Saturday night's events, Americans had won 23 medals with eight days of competition remaining. Canada has eight."
This article was written on Feb 21st.
We have 25 medals now, as well as more gold medals than any country, and have also tied the record for most gold medals in winter olympic history.
OOPSIE!!! No medal for you. Canada wins again.
Congrats to Canada...Well Done. Must be nice to FINALLY earn some bragging rights! As for the U.S. Been there Done That.
Gman

Phoenix, AZ

#5 Feb 28, 2010
Rules R Rules wrote:
<quoted text>Congrats to Canada...Well Done. Must be nice to FINALLY earn some bragging rights! As for the U.S. Been there Done That.
Oh here's another for you. On the Human Development Index published by the United Nations, Canada is #4 (highest rated in the Westerm Hemisphere), and the USA is #13...so I guess my fellow Canadians can brag about that one too. Better education, higher literacy rate, safer country, less crime, less polution, better economy (especially in recent years). Put that one in your pipe and smoke it! USA #1, huh?
Rules R Rules

Santa Fe, NM

#6 Feb 28, 2010
Gman wrote:
<quoted text> Oh here's another for you. On the Human Development Index published by the United Nations, Canada is #4 (highest rated in the Westerm Hemisphere), and the USA is #13...so I guess my fellow Canadians can brag about that one too. Better education, higher literacy rate, safer country, less crime, less polution, better economy (especially in recent years). Put that one in your pipe and smoke it! USA #1, huh?
We are talking Olympic Medals here....stay focused. What are you doing in Arizona? Yet another transplant from another country lowering our standards. USA #1 destination for immigrants. See a pattern here?
Adrian in Tacoma

Lakewood, WA

#8 Feb 28, 2010
These are your games Canada, we're just better in the rocky slush conditions - have a chance to redeem uteselves come high noon...wink
Spitfire

Sweden

#9 Feb 28, 2010
Is USA realy that good...has 310 million inhabitants to choose from and can "just" win 35 medals!
Comapre USA against:
* Norway, has 4 million inhabitants, has won 22!
* Sweden, has 9 million inhanbitants, has won 10!
I do not belive that USA is so good after all!!
Mitchell

Keswick, Canada

#10 Feb 28, 2010
I agree the scandanavian countries are truly amazing at the winter olympics (and standard of living)! Also anyone who says that the U.S. is the number one destination for imigrants has not looked at how many come to Canada! Toronto is the world's most multi-cultural city
usaLosesOlympics

Mississauga, Canada

#11 Feb 28, 2010
Spitfire wrote:
Is USA realy that good...has 310 million inhabitants to choose from and can "just" win 35 medals!
Comapre USA against:
* Norway, has 4 million inhabitants, has won 22!
* Sweden, has 9 million inhanbitants, has won 10!
I do not belive that USA is so good after all!!
ya, the scandanavians are always strong winter olympians. And i am not justsaying that because Borje Salming was my childhood hero

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Apolo Ohno Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Newly retired Apolo Ohno to work in TV at Olympics (Jul '13) Jul '13 Old Sam 1
Apolo Ohno nude (Sep '12) Sep '12 Catherina 1
News JR Celski's sun tattoo pays homage to his Filip... (Mar '10) Apr '10 jasmin 4
News Apolo Ohno Takes Silver, Stirs Olympic Controversy (Feb '10) Feb '10 photoguy 4
More from around the web