LVPA students are 'well-educated'

Regarding the Jan. 25 story about the Lehigh Valley Charter School for the Performing Arts: I have a child at the school, and her grades are better than they were in the East Penn School District. Full Story
First Prev
of 3
Next Last
LVPA mom

Kulpsville, PA

#50 Sep 22, 2010
LVPA is an amazing school were our children are taught skillsso well,that when they graduate ,at least 95 percent get scholarships at colleges. Which I don't hear other High schools bragging about!! Also,there are no gangs,violence,bullying like in other schools. Our students respect one another and their teachers. The kids at LVPA want to be at school,not like other high schools where the kids don't want to be. It has been a very positive learning experience and I think it is the BEST High school by far!! Love it!!
a graduate

Junction City, KS

#51 Jan 3, 2011
wow. this is rediculous. all of you are saying horrible things about this high school and horrible things to each other, are you sure you aren't still in high school yourselves? you sure sound like it! I went to this school the first couple of years it was open and graduated from it, got into penn state university for kinesiology, had a 3.8 gpa, and didn't graduate because I joined the military as a cryptic linguist and signals intelligence recruit. now tell me students that go there are not getting a good enough academic education.
as for the teacher who said they taught there, in the beginning, ill admit, academics were horrible, but as the years went on there was progress. I am now married and starting my own family. Even though I did not pursue my major at this school, I still consider myself successful and would not be here without this school.
student

Bethlehem, PA

#52 Mar 22, 2011
um yeah LVPA doesnt lack important academics. I go to LVPA and during my freshman year we had to read Romeo and Juliet. My friend, who went to a public high school and was in an honors class, didn't even get the chance to read that until 10th grade. Just because a few students dont work like their supposed to doesn't mean our entire school is bad. I know my parents wouldn't have allowed me to go there if the academics were that bad. If you don't go to LVPA and you dont send your kids there, then why do you care? Don't worry about it if you don't have anything to do with it.
Sza

Allentown, PA

#53 Apr 5, 2011
student wrote:
um yeah LVPA doesnt lack important academics. I go to LVPA and during my freshman year we had to read Romeo and Juliet. My friend, who went to a public high school and was in an honors class, didn't even get the chance to read that until 10th grade. Just because a few students dont work like their supposed to doesn't mean our entire school is bad. I know my parents wouldn't have allowed me to go there if the academics were that bad. If you don't go to LVPA and you dont send your kids there, then why do you care? Don't worry about it if you don't have anything to do with it.
I couldn't agree more.
Anon Art

Bally, PA

#54 Apr 29, 2011
i went to LVPA to shadow a student because i wasn't sure if i wanted to go there next year or not. well, i'm happy to say that i WILL be attending. when i visited, i saw actual work getting done in the classes. the students were all friendly to eachother, and they were even nice to me, even though i didn't know ANY of them. the teachers helped the students out when they needed help, and they were learning. when i went through the halls at lunch, kids were sitting on the floor playing their guitars and eating. they were enjoying themselves. when i walk through a regular high school, not many smile; they just walk like zombies to their next class, not even acknowledging eachother. this school is definetly friendlier, and thats something you need in a school in order to thrive.
Student

Easton, PA

#55 Jul 9, 2011
The english classes are very much up to pa standards and the classes are just the same if not better than public schools where there is fights, gang activity and unhappu students
Future LVPAer i hope

Easton, PA

#56 Jul 27, 2011
All wrong wrote:
I'm a former LVPA student who went through the whole 4 year term and HATED it. The school is a joke. I was laid back the whole time, IT WAS GREAT! I didn't go to any classes, and I still got good grades! Thanks to the two principals there, nothing really gets done because the teachers are always freaking out about being fired every year. LVPA is a joke, sorry, but I DON'T love it.
Just a question. If you "HATED" this school so much than why did you stay for 4 years? I've heard from real LVPA students themselves that they loved the school, and I've heard from LVPA PARENTS themselves that they love the school also. I've also picked up from a student that if you are FAILING a class you are not allowed to participate in your major until you get your grade up. Plus, the school has around 400 students. My school has 2,000 or more and we only have three principals, and plenty of work gets done in my school. Although I'm not in the LVPA yet (crossing my fingers), I know it is a serious school that needs to be respected. You are obviously lying. You probably are someone that wanted to go, but weren't dedicated or talented enough to get in. One part of being a good performer is understanding that you didn't make the cut, and taking reality with dignity. Grow up.
Future LVPAer i hope

Easton, PA

#57 Jul 27, 2011
Monkey wrote:
<quoted text>
You could send a chimp to LVPA, and it would still get amazing grades!!!
I'm someone who isn't even a part of the LVPA yet, but I hope to be. Just from attending camps and dance classes I have truly learned how accepting it is. It has an amazing faculty (I love them all!) that honestly know exactly what they're doing. And guess what smart a** an actually student that currently attends there has told me that if you are failing a class you are not allowed to participate in your major. Get your facts straight. And to all those lying about there identities (like the "teacher" that claims they used to teach there) you are pathetic. The students in that school work so hard, and they don't need to be bashed on. I bet if this was a sports school, no one would have a problem...
Informed parent

Allentown, PA

#58 Nov 18, 2011
Proud LVPA Parent wrote:
Keep up the good work LVPA we support you!
my daughter graduated from LVPA and not only did she excel at her art, she excelled at academics, which is why she not only got an artistic scholarship, but a matching academic scholarship. That of course is why my other daughter is going there.
I find that LVPA students are more interested in their art and academics than "who is wearing what" and "can you believe what she did to her hair".
I thank everyone involved at LVPA for all their efforts.
Oh, and by the way, my daughter in college has made honor roll for three consecutive semesters...Thank you LVPA for giving her everything she needed to excel at college and in life.
Figure skater at LVPA

Bethlehem, PA

#59 Feb 1, 2012
Future LVPAer i hope wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm someone who isn't even a part of the LVPA yet, but I hope to be. Just from attending camps and dance classes I have truly learned how accepting it is. It has an amazing faculty (I love them all!) that honestly know exactly what they're doing. And guess what smart a** an actually student that currently attends there has told me that if you are failing a class you are not allowed to participate in your major. Get your facts straight. And to all those lying about there identities (like the "teacher" that claims they used to teach there) you are pathetic. The students in that school work so hard, and they don't need to be bashed on. I bet if this was a sports school, no one would have a problem...
Agreed. People wouldn't have a problem if it was a sports school because that's the stereotypical high school right there. Everyone assumes that all teens are good at sports and will get by in high schools with just that. Regular high schools don't have any kind of probation when they're grades slip. I can tell you im doing things at LVPA that some of my friends don't do until next year. Haters, don't bash our school just because your child wasn't good enough to go or because they didn't accept you. Being accepting to CHANGE and students who have a different perspective on how they want to live their lives.
glitter

Northampton, PA

#60 Mar 13, 2012
ok im sorry i am extremely late in this conversation, but these people are making me sick! I will attend LVPA next year and am very proud of that! I dont know who these people think they are to bash a school they know nothing about! But hey it's okay when LVPA kids are famous these jerks will be in the audience screaming their name (:
Current Student

Hellertown, PA

#61 Jul 22, 2012
Well, I'm going to give my honest opinion on LVPA. I'll be starting my fourth year at LVPA in the fall. I have grown up with LVPA, and LVPA has grown up with me. As a student, you can never be fully happy with your administration. They are, after all, authority. What teen likes authority? Seriously, though, the administration has gone through A LOT of ups and downs, but in the end, we've all come out okay. There have been times when I adore LVPA and am bursting with school pride, and there are other times when I considered going back to my old school. However, since I've grown up, I've realized that nothing and no one is perfect, and everyone's trying their best to give students in the Lehigh Valley a great alternative education.

To the disgruntled 'former student' who said, "I was laid back the whole time, IT WAS GREAT! I didn't go to any classes, and I still got good grades!" No. This doesn't happen. I understand you may not have had a picturesque high school career, but if you skip a class, you WILL get in trouble. You may be one of the fortunate students who doesn't need to study to get good grades. Power to you, but that definitely doesn't reflect on the school, it reflects on you.

To anyone considering going to LVPA, give it a try. follow me on tumblr for more tips and opinions on day-to-day schooling at LVPAsurvivalguide.
A future student

Easton, PA

#62 Aug 1, 2012
Students who go to LVPA actually care about school. If they didn't, they would go to public school. They audition because they want to be a part of the school. They are the students who care. On LVPA's website, it says that they don't breed their kid to be the next superstar, just to be the best that they can be at what they do. I was accepted to the school, and will be going there in the fall. I have shadowed and while they are lax in some areas, they are a lot tougher than other schools in some areas. The students are committed, and as one student told me, "If you're not totally committed 100% to what you do, you won't survive here." The book that I have to read to enter Freshman year is one that they read at Bethlehem Catholic (which is a great school, and where I would have gone) later in their academic careers. The discussion that I sat through in English class was deep and went over my head. And, I'm a student that went to a school who's standardized testing said we were two years above public school grade levels. At LVPA you don't have just one major like other schools (Academics), You have Two. So, I don't think that anyone should judge if they don't know much about it.
Current Student

Hellertown, PA

#63 Aug 2, 2012
Yeah. Let me just explain to you the way I feel about LVPA. I would have gone to Wilson High School. I was in the gifted program in what was at the time Philip F. Lauer Middle School and Williams Township Elementary School. At those schools, I was placed in the "stupid" classes so that my IQ would raise the average IQ. I was then given something called "independent study" which allowed me to fool around all year in the A/V room with the other gifted kids. My value for education was severely diminished because of my old school. Here at LVPA, I am rewarded for the work I produce. I am given a 70% if the paper I write is worthy of a 70%. I have been on academic probation before. Trying to juggle the intense honors and AP course work with perfecting pieces for a recital is an extremely daunting task, and should not be undervalued. The people who went to the school in its early years experienced corruption and loss of academic rigor, I get that. Times are much different now. Academics matter as much - if not more - than the arts.(Has anyone ever been told that they can't turn in homework because they performed badly?) Academics are still put first. Keep in mind that this school is only 9 years old. Getting the mix just right requires time and patience. We're on our way.
a student

Easton, PA

#64 Aug 4, 2012
You get a better education at LVPA then some of the other schools in the area.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Winter Sports Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Martin Brodeur Going Home To Montreal? Sep 12 CHforever 3
Figure skating medal sweep no fluke,... Aug 27 Yuzu s fan 1
Canada travel information and guide (Jan '10) Aug 27 disastermaster 2
Kevin Ward Jr.'s hometown remembers easygoing, ... Aug '14 Just saying 4
Clara Hughes rides to Sudbury for mental health... Aug '14 sadly peanuts if ... 2
Atlanta youth hockey continues to grow in 2015 Aug '14 West Nile vs Ebola 1
Kevin Dineen back in the NHL with Chicago Black... Jul '14 B-Hawks Forever 1
•••
•••

Winter Sports People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••