LVPA students are 'well-educated'

Full story: The Morning Call

Regarding the Jan. 25 story about the Lehigh Valley Charter School for the Performing Arts: I have a child at the school, and her grades are better than they were in the East Penn School District.

Comments

Showing posts 1 - 20 of55
< prev page
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Proud LVPA Parent

Allentown, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 3, 2009

Judged:

Keep up the good work LVPA we support you!
Not accurate

Macungie, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 3, 2009

Judged:

No one doubts that LVPA caters to the artistic needs of its clients; however, as a teacher in an area public high school, I've seen these students transfer into our system, and most of them lack basic skills that you'd expect from a teenagers.
They do not have strong writing skills; their ability to use reading strategies is lacking; I've had numerous who cannot name one part of speech or write in complete, grammatically sentences. Sure, they can sing, they can dance, they can play the violin. Can they read and write well enough to prepare them for the real world? Chances are no. And as for getting better grades than East Penn? East Penn and many other schools stress rigor in the field of academia, while the LVPA has rigor in performing.
Really Now

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 3, 2009

Judged:

Do you really think that LVPA made your kid that much smarter? Maybe the classes just don't demand as much academically. I find it hard to believe that her academic classes are as rigorous at LVPA as they were in East Penn. But then again, who needs to know how to read or write if they can just "skate" on by?
Proud Parent of LVPA

Whitehall, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 4, 2009

Judged:

Since you are obviously a teacher in the East Penn School district You are WRONG!!!!! My daughter is getting better grades because the classes are smaller and the kids get more help then what they get in public school. ALl the public school do is let children slip through the cracks that have special needs such as ADD because they do not want to be bothered with the paperwork that has to be done for these children. This is coming from a parent that has experienced it first hand. Also my daughter reads and writes better now then she ever did In East Penn. So get off your HIGH horse and help the children that need it. Last time I looked that is what my TAXES are paying for.
Not accurate wrote:
No one doubts that LVPA caters to the artistic needs of its clients; however, as a teacher in an area public high school, I've seen these students transfer into our system, and most of them lack basic skills that you'd expect from a teenagers.
They do not have strong writing skills; their ability to use reading strategies is lacking; I've had numerous who cannot name one part of speech or write in complete, grammatically sentences. Sure, they can sing, they can dance, they can play the violin. Can they read and write well enough to prepare them for the real world? Chances are no. And as for getting better grades than East Penn? East Penn and many other schools stress rigor in the field of academia, while the LVPA has rigor in performing.
MisInformed

Whitehall, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 4, 2009

Judged:

I am sorry to say that you ARE Misinformed about the education which LVPA gives. Being a former teacher at LVPA, I was told to not follow any rules for education just give the students good grades so that it looks good for our advertising regarding the school.

I left due to the poor academic efforts put forth by the school. The school is only concerned about the Arts and the academic values are BELOW PA Standards! I got into teaching to help students and thought that LVPA would offer me a better chance to help students because of the smaller classes.

However, since I was told on numerous occassions to not worry about the students grades that I am only there to help them improve their love for the Arts.

Many of the students come into LVPA lacking skills for Reading and Writing (which is the home school district issues), but LVPA does NOTHING to help these students and thus their skills are not improving.

The school should be investigated further and the academics program needs to GREATLY Improve!

“"Mister, we ARE the weirdos."”

Since: Mar 08

Allentown, Pa

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 4, 2009

Judged:

Calm down, Captain Anger-Management-Issues. Sheesh. No one is insulting your little Cash Cow, I mean, Princess, I mean kid.
Proud Parent of LVPA wrote:
Since you are obviously a teacher in the East Penn School district You are WRONG!!!!! My daughter is getting better grades because the classes are smaller and the kids get more help then what they get in public school. ALl the public school do is let children slip through the cracks that have special needs such as ADD because they do not want to be bothered with the paperwork that has to be done for these children. This is coming from a parent that has experienced it first hand. Also my daughter reads and writes better now then she ever did In East Penn. So get off your HIGH horse and help the children that need it. Last time I looked that is what my TAXES are paying for.
<quoted text>

Allentown, Pa

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 5, 2009

Judged:

Proud Parent of LVPA wrote:
Anger management huh?? You should talk!! What a loser you are!!!
<quoted text>
What about my post implied that I am a "loser"? You know what? Never mind. It really doesn't matter to me what you have to say, considering that the very best you could come up with was some sophomoric drivel.
*Yawn* You lose. Next.

Allentown, Pa

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 5, 2009

Judged:

Proud LVPA Parent wrote:
It's people or should I say "Cowards" like you that will always lose in the end so get over yourself. Please you are putting me to sleep!! zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzz
<quoted text>
I know that I shouldn't respond. I shouldn't feed into your obvious craving for attention, but I admit, I find you humorous.
I really don't have anything to add here, I mean, no matter what I say, you will just re-word it and regurgitate back it in a juvenile attempt to insult me. It's actually quite sad. Someone of your age with your OBVIOUS intelligence should be able to come up with something other than a thinly-veiled immitation of the exact same thing I just said in a previous post, but I digress.
I will leave with your delusions of grandeur, and your lifelong dream that your little Princess makes it to the top 12 on American Idol. I wish you the best with that. As for me, I need to get back to work.
No reply is needed, as I can safely assume that you have nothing intelligent to add to this post.
Spider Jerusalem

Philadelphia, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 5, 2009

Judged:

provide..lol
CCCP

Philadelphia, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 5, 2009

Judged:

Spider Jerusalem wrote:
the arts provied under educated fruitcakes.
Agreed! Put'em in a real world situation (such as a real high school), and they would have no clue how to survive.
Jkjhgfdgfnkbngjk

West Chester, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 14, 2009

Judged:

CCCP wrote:
<quoted text>
Agreed! Put'em in a real world situation (such as a real high school), and they would have no clue how to survive.
You obviously don't know what you are talking about. I went to LVPA for the entire 4 years, graduated, and now go to a University. I'm in the real world. I was in the real world at LVPA, too. It's life, and it's REAL. EVERYWHERE. So whatever "real world" you think LVPA students can't thrive in does not exist.
NYC

Jenkintown, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 15, 2009

Judged:

Jkjhgfdgfnkbngjk wrote:
<quoted text>
You obviously don't know what you are talking about. I went to LVPA for the entire 4 years, graduated, and now go to a University. I'm in the real world. I was in the real world at LVPA, too. It's life, and it's REAL. EVERYWHERE. So whatever "real world" you think LVPA students can't thrive in does not exist.
It's amazing your still alive. Most of the potatos are baked when they come out of that school.
Norbert

Bethlehem, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 15, 2009

Judged:

LVPA is a boondoggle, paid for by taxpayers, for the benefit of students who want to feel special without achievement, and teachers and administrators who could not earn a living in the real world.
It is also laden with those so-called `indigo' students whose parents think they are the next step of evolution.
LVPA is part self-delusion, part scam, and all a waste of time and money.
Norbert

Bethlehem, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 15, 2009

Judged:

Students who care about their education and parents who care about them will take them out of this school and return them to the real world.
It is pleasant, and easy, to be in an environment where everybody praises everything. It is not realistic or productive.
Take a hard look at what you want to do and move on.
Monkey

Philadelphia, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 20, 2009

Judged:

Senior_Student wrote:
Good God, let this whole thing die already. We get it, people have differing opinions. Is this new? I'm just really sick of all the "adults" throwing empty insults back and forth.
Yay, you're kid goes to LVPA and gets good grades. Nothing to post a blog about. And for the people that don't like LVPA, get over it, you don't go there. Grow up and go do something productive, like your jobs, or something. Now, enough is enough.
You could send a chimp to LVPA, and it would still get amazing grades!!!
Senior_Student

Nazareth, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 20, 2009

Judged:

Monkey wrote:
<quoted text>
You could send a chimp to LVPA, and it would still get amazing grades!!!
I'm supposing you don't understand the definition of the word "enough".

Allentown, Pa

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 20, 2009

Judged:

With all due respect, no one had posted on this thread in almost a week. By you coming on here and shouting "LEAVE BRITNEY ALONE!" You just assured that it would be brought back to the top of the list. Good job, kid.
((And no, I'm not trying to argue. Just making an observation))
Senior_Student wrote:
Good God, let this whole thing die already. We get it, people have differing opinions. Is this new? I'm just really sick of all the "adults" throwing empty insults back and forth.
Yay, you're kid goes to LVPA and gets good grades. Nothing to post a blog about. And for the people that don't like LVPA, get over it, you don't go there. Grow up and go do something productive, like your jobs, or something. Now, enough is enough.
Duhhh

Easton, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 20, 2009

Judged:

Senior_Student wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm supposing you don't understand the definition of the word "enough".
What would think would happen by bringing this back up again? The topic was dead, you brought it back up and someone else commented, big deal.
Senior_Student

Nazareth, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 20, 2009

Judged:

als18102 wrote:
With all due respect, no one had posted on this thread in almost a week. By you coming on here and shouting "LEAVE BRITNEY ALONE!" You just assured that it would be brought back to the top of the list. Good job, kid.
((And no, I'm not trying to argue. Just making an observation))
<quoted text>
That's actually hilarious. Good point. Haha.
LVPA student

Bethlehem, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 18, 2009

Judged:

One thing I've learned from this place is that you are accepted here. Our school is fairly new, and we're just getting started. I know fo r a fact that we ALL have a better opportunity in life when we go here. When you look around you, who makes the most money in the world? Celebrities, musicians, singers. This place is teaching us a way to take what we've been given and work with it, perfect it, give us the skill we need to make it work for us and get out there and show the world our talent.

Who are you to tell us that our academics lack? When you see students flunking out of public schools because they just don't give a damn about it, do you blame the school? No. You blame the child. Here, our grades our EARNED, not handed out like candy. We earn our grades, we work to acheive our goals, and you blame the school for poor grades? If you're getting a bad grade here, it's not because of the teachers. It's the student, because they chose to slack off. Don't bash our school.

We're a proud, thriving community of performers, and how dare you take everything that's wonderful about this place and crap all over it. The point of this place is to perfect our art. If your grades are in the can, you need to step it up a bit. LVPA requires dedication. So if you lack the drive to keep up, you should either leave, or start learning how to balance your life. But don't take this out on the school. We're a damn good school. The teachers are brilliant, and the students are as educated as they wish to be.

I'm tired of people saying "Thsi place is such a waste". I love LVPA, and it's been the greatest opportunity to better myself. So stop saying we're a horrible place. If anything, we're better than public schools. Less fighting, more acceptance, you can be who you want to be without worries! Our academics are fine, and that's all there is to say about them.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 1 - 20 of55
< prev page
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••
•••