Russians still stuck on sweet fizz

Russians still stuck on sweet fizz

There are 1 comment on the The Drinks Business story from May 24, 2013, titled Russians still stuck on sweet fizz. In it, The Drinks Business reports that:

Russian consumers have yet to embrace brut sparkling wine despite the efforts of one of the country's top fizz producers to lure drinkers away from demi-doux. Speaking at the London International Wine Fair at ExCel this week, Pavel Titov, director of historic Russian sparkling wine estate Abrau-Durso, explained: "When I joined the company we had 34 ... (more)

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Drinks Business.

“In the cockles of weirdness”

Since: Oct 12

Location hidden

#1 May 24, 2013
“When I joined the company we had 34 different labels in our range. My first decision was to scale it right back and discontinue half of the wines.

“The aim was to get rid of all our demi-doux and demi-sec styles, as I believe brut is the way forward, but this didn’t make commercial sense as Russian consumers are still stuck on sweeter sparklers.

“I wanted to try and change the market trends, but the love of sweeter wines is so deeply ingrained in Russia that it’s hard to influence age-old drinking habits,” he said.

-----

I dont get it... why not give them what they want? Why try to "influence" (force) people to drink something they don't like? Is there more money in brut ??

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Wine Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Russia's Largest Wine Producer Expanded Its Ter... May 28 Stephany McDowell 1
News San Pablo police commander arrested in DUI stop May 27 Video Sam 5
News Australia makes its mark on global coffee culture May 25 Skipslayer 1
News 10 Great Ontario driving holidays you can take May 11 Ollie 1
News Scientists on the trail of flurries of tremors ... May 7 Sam 1
Anti-racist is codeword for anti-white May 3 7948hkdj 1
Be aware of faked wines from Chile Pirazzoli wi... May 3 eddy 1
More from around the web