Were you at the Neil Diamond concert? Tell us what you thought of the performance

Aug 25, 2008 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: Columbus Dispatch

Sweet Caroline was not so sweet last night as Neil Diamond struggled through his Value City Arena concert with a painfully sore throat.

Comments
1 - 13 of 13 Comments Last updated Aug 12, 2012
Lahaina

Brunswick, OH

#1 Aug 26, 2008
We were at the concert in Columbus last night. Neil Diamond was obviously in pain and it was also painful to watch. It was so bad that we ended up leaving about 45 minutes into the show. It was horrible. Mr. Diamond obviously made the wrong choice to not cancel. I suppose it was "darned" if you do or "darned" if you don't. Very disappointed.
Laura

Columbus, OH

#2 Aug 26, 2008
I was at the show last night, and I was surprised that he did not cancel, BUT he did such a wonderful job nonetheless. He's a gret performer and he would've disappointed thousands if he cancelled. I guess he knew that. He did look a few times like he was having trouble standing. I wondered if he were feverish along with the sore throat. Although his voice was so rough,(it came in and out throughout the concert) his band and backup singers made the evening just as enjoyable. It really was a fun concert. I believe he lives to perform!
Jane

Cincinnati, OH

#3 Aug 26, 2008
I was at the concert last night from Cincinnati and I thought it was great. You could tell Neil had a bad sore throat but it a very good concert. He did a wonderful job as always and still has all the moves he's always had. He is the best entertainer in the world and I hope he continues making albums and touring for another 10 or 20 years.He will always be the best for me.
Dave

Annandale, MN

#4 Aug 26, 2008
That was the worst show I have ever seen. There was no reason for neil to perform. The show should have been reschedualed. I went to the show in 2005 and it was 100% better!! Very disapointing.
roger Moody

Columbus, OH

#5 Aug 26, 2008
Attended concert in Columbus, Ohio on Aug. 25. Bought 8 tickets at $130 each even though I am 65 years old, but wanted my children and grandchildren to experience THE MASTER.. If you don't already know it was a disaster as he was ill with throat and COULD NOT SING. Shame on him and you for not permitting refunds or rescheduling.
Evan

Kingsport, TN

#6 Aug 26, 2008
i want to go to a Neil Diamond
Lyle

Canal Winchester, OH

#7 Aug 26, 2008
I was a a disgrace to Neil and his fans deserved better. This was the third Neil Diamond concert I have attended and it was not good. He should have cancelled and rescheduled. It's been done before, just last year Elton John had to cancel and it was worth the wait.
40 Karats

Clarksville, OH

#8 Aug 26, 2008
Nice show think about retirement
Columbus Concert Attendee

Columbus, OH

#9 Aug 26, 2008
I was at the concert last night. Worst show I have ever witnessed. 90% of the songs he actually spoke the words and did not sing. The remaining 10% he actually tried to sing, but only managed to prove that he should have rescheduled the show. He hit rock bottom when he managed to butcher one of the most beautiful songs ever written. "You don't bring me flowers" was absolutely painful to sit through.
KGW from Columbus

Barnesville, OH

#10 Aug 31, 2008
I was at the show and I am incensed by how this artist could knowingly perform sub-par for a crowd that took time out from their evening to come and hear him and dissapoint everyone in such a way. This was greed at its ugliest.
def2251

San Francisco, CA

#11 Sep 7, 2008
KGW from Columbus wrote:
I was at the show and I am incensed by how this artist could knowingly perform sub-par for a crowd that took time out from their evening to come and hear him and dissapoint everyone in such a way. This was greed at its ugliest.
Greed at its ugliest? By giving a refund he is charged with being greedy. Hmm,,,imagine all the pissed off people that there would have been had he canceled on the day of the show. At least he tried and admited his fault. Go Neil Go.
Evan

Kingsport, TN

#12 Oct 8, 2008
i have got to get a Neil Diamond mini figurine
Kes

Los Angeles, CA

#13 Aug 12, 2012
Ya'll are SO lucky this is moderated...
so Mr. Diamond DID offer refunds after all..as well as offering an explanation and appology.
think 99% of the posters here shoulddo the same: what jerky a-holes u come off as. Why all the hate? If you've seen him before you knew something was up and you don't go from selling out stadiums....to a shot voice in @ a year.
those who meowed as their first show...wouldn't have liked him no matter what.
Way to represent~~
Ps...as a performer u don't walk out and say 'I suck tonight but trust me!'You sing over it and hope for the best. Only when its a mess do you do what ND did. Note: he did.
How ya'll feel now??
Waves from LA...but 3 fingers & a thumb r busy ~
Xxxooo!:):):)@--

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Wine Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Napa quake seen as 'reality check' to Bay Area ... Thu Natural Disasters... 1
5 things to know about earthquake faults Aug 28 Earl Keel 1
Ontario Winery Profile: Strewn Winery Aug 27 Wine 1
Napa earthquake hastens calls for warning system Aug 26 Junior 1
'Duck Dynasty' wine: Will Bible Belt fans approve? (Nov '13) Aug 24 Lola 293
Russia considers state monopoly on wine production Aug 20 Avenger 1
Vallejo brings Wine Country to the waterfront Aug 17 Jose 1
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••