Something's wrong when greatest can't...

Something's wrong when greatest can't draw crowd

There are 16 comments on the Asheville Citizen-Times story from Apr 1, 2007, titled Something's wrong when greatest can't draw crowd. In it, Asheville Citizen-Times reports that:

On March 22, I had the privilege right here in Asheville of attending an outstanding performance by the Jazz Orchestra of Lincoln Center, led by Wynton Marsalis.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Asheville Citizen-Times.

Mtnbred

Redmond, WA

#1 Apr 2, 2007
Mumpower has everyone scared of going anywhere near that "Amsterdam Hash" house. The bad always over-rides the good! Score another one for Mumpower!!
Bobbettte Kilgore Mays

Greenville, SC

#2 Apr 2, 2007
Asheville has always been a city that doesn't promote well. If I had know about the concert I would have been there. The news media concentrates more on the negative than the positive.
When will it change?
FedUp2

Wilsons Mills, NC

#3 Apr 2, 2007
I didn't know they were in concert. Would like to have attended.

Since: Feb 07

Asheville, NC

#4 Apr 2, 2007
Perhaps it's because Wynton Marsalis is a racist.
Dick

Eddyville, KY

#5 Apr 2, 2007
I too, only found out about the Wynton Marsalis performance AFTER it was past. Several musician friends also missed it, seemingly because of poor publicity.
jimlong

United States

#6 Apr 2, 2007
I wonder if ol' Carl found any dope heads ?
Chris Dewer

Savannah, GA

#7 Apr 2, 2007
No Parking
is one of the big reasons people like myself avoid going into town
But luckily we do have a prime central located space that houses the ol folks, who pay no taxes, and cost us who do, big bucks

Buncombe/Henderson border

#8 Apr 2, 2007
Go scuzhole downtown Asheville on purpose? Yeah, right. Too bad such a crappy venue was selected for such a talented artist.

Asheville

#9 Apr 2, 2007
I haven't even heard of him...or that he was playing.
JohnC

Tappahannock, VA

#10 Apr 2, 2007
I heard about this the day before the concert. Then, the following week, I heard that BB King was here, again, one day before the concert. We hear about Belle Chere all year, but when two world class musicians come to town, nothing. How can that be?
ChuckJ

Manteo, NC

#11 Apr 2, 2007
why would anyone want to go downtown and pay $10 to park and have to worry the whole time if you'll have a car left when you come out. not to mention almost every wrecker service in town is running a scam on towing.

Savannah, GA

#12 Apr 3, 2007
It seems to be against the city to advertise anything. While the promoter of the shows should do the bulk of it the city COULD step in and assist as they make money when people attend.
Just Gina

Richardson, TX

#13 Apr 4, 2007
We were all at the racetrack meeting.
Dave

Wilsons Mills, NC

#14 Apr 4, 2007
Was this the back-up band for Iron Maiden?

Buncombe/Henderson border

#15 Apr 7, 2007
I think it was Iron Butterfly.

“Fool Forgiven”

Since: Mar 07

Asheville

#16 Apr 7, 2007
Who cares?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Wynton Marsalis Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Wynton Marsalis cancels Venezuela shows (Mar '15) Mar '15 loganclaws6 2
News Happy Birthday, Louis Armstrong, Legendary Jazz... (Feb '13) May '13 yessika 4
News Jazz: Pianist captures Porter prize | The Colum... (May '11) May '11 Mayorarnett 1
News Eric Clapton jams in jazz set with Wynton Marsalis (Apr '11) Apr '11 QsBlues 1
News Eric Clapton jams in jazz set with Wynton Marsalis (Apr '11) Apr '11 nakrul 3
News Celebrity birthdays on Oct. 18 (Oct '10) Oct '10 monica 1
News In Havana, Jam Sessions With a Master Trumpeter (Oct '10) Oct '10 Suprashoesweb 1
More from around the web