On Dec. 17, 1903, Wilbur and Orville ...

On Dec. 17, 1903, Wilbur and Orville Wright conducted the first...

There are 2 comments on the Philadelphia's WB 17 story from Dec 17, 2010, titled On Dec. 17, 1903, Wilbur and Orville Wright conducted the first.... In it, Philadelphia's WB 17 reports that:

Today is Friday, Dec. 17, the 351st day of 2010. There are 14 days left in the year.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Philadelphia's WB 17.

Question Authority

Triangle, VA

#1 Dec 18, 2010
I wish people understood how exciting this was AND how exciting it is to study the history of it.

Having been to Kitty Hawk and visited the first place they flew there and their hanger, and their place in Dayton; I was hooked. It was also interesting to read their biography (or one of them!) after having visited their bicycle shop in Dayton. I think it's a part of Dayton's history to be proud of.

Might not encourage the kids too much to kowtow to the education establishment, but the Wright brothers didn't like school too much. they did their schoolwork, but were bored with it. They were very inquisitive, read their father's books, were inspired by a little helicopter-like toy in their childhood, and ultimately ended up having to write their own engineering book because one was not available at the time! The museum at Kitty Hawk has part of their manuscripts that they worked from.

The boys would haul junk and do other odd jobs to get money both for candy and for parts to build things. They are an inspiration to all those with curious minds and determined hearts.

Isn't it amazing how far this nation has come in ONE century? From 1903 not even knowing how to fly, and going to the moon and beyond!

Since: Oct 10

Dayton, OH

#2 Dec 18, 2010
Couldn't agree more QA - I'm a bit of an airplane "junkie" myself (being from Dayton area helps). Seeing Kitty Hawk, the distance traveled on the 1st flight as compared to the others kind of reflects the leaps and bounds by which we have advanced over this past Century+. Ever wonder what Wilbur and Orville would think if they saw a F22, or C5A or Space Shuttle fly, knowing they were the beginning of it all?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

William Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Colorado's pot law spurs other states (Jan '14) Jan '14 Junior 10
News Adoption by Gay and Lesbian Couples: Politics &... (Dec '11) Dec '11 Quest 2
News Jennifer Hudson, Black Eyed Peas Join Michael J... (Sep '11) Sep '11 veronica 6
News White Wedding - Billy Idol (May '09) May '11 REBEL Race 3
News Alice in Chains: 'Check My Brain' Video Released (Sep '09) Sep '09 Alicefanforyears 1
News Perez Hilton Assaulted, Yaay (Jun '09) Jun '09 nette 1
News Charges in alleged assault against Perez Hilton (Jun '09) Jun '09 Adam 2
More from around the web