Immigrants leave; their money returns -

Immigrants leave; their money returns -

There are 6 comments on the Baltimore Sun story from Aug 19, 2007, titled Immigrants leave; their money returns -. In it, Baltimore Sun reports that:

Josif Poro pats his new sofa, points with pride to his carpets and runs a wrinkled hand over a gleaming white refrigerator.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Baltimore Sun.

Patrice Nkhono

Warwick, UK

#1 Aug 20, 2007
Those are very interesting statistics. As the author rightly argues, the migration phenomenon will continue for some time yet; in fact, as long as there is so much inequality in incomes around the world, there is no stemming the tide. And, it is not a bad thing either. As immigrants make more money for themselves and for their struggling families back home, the host nations also benefit from the ready and cheaper labour supplied by immigants. The problem as I see it though is that there easily is so much resentment in the host nations against migrant presence. It has been argued for example in the UK recently that immigrants were subverting the British way of life because they were unwilling to assimilate with the local population. I think that is simplistic: attitudes in the UK against immigrants so easily verge on the xenophobic. "Immigration Inc." has huge potential for redistributive justice. It should be allowed to flourish with minimal restrictions. We need global coordination of the phenomenon at UN level. With so much "donor fatigue" for the Third World, Immigration Inc.is not only the alternative, it is also the better option. I do realise that it is a very controversial subject in the host nations. But please, whatever happened to a common humanity?
American

Mount Vernon, MO

#2 Aug 20, 2007
Patrice Nkhono wrote:
Those are very interesting statistics. As the author rightly argues, the migration phenomenon will continue for some time yet; in fact, as long as there is so much inequality in incomes around the world, there is no stemming the tide. And, it is not a bad thing either. As immigrants make more money for themselves and for their struggling families back home, the host nations also benefit from the ready and cheaper labour supplied by immigants. The problem as I see it though is that there easily is so much resentment in the host nations against migrant presence. It has been argued for example in the UK recently that immigrants were subverting the British way of life because they were unwilling to assimilate with the local population. I think that is simplistic: attitudes in the UK against immigrants so easily verge on the xenophobic. "Immigration Inc." has huge potential for redistributive justice. It should be allowed to flourish with minimal restrictions. We need global coordination of the phenomenon at UN level. With so much "donor fatigue" for the Third World, Immigration Inc.is not only the alternative, it is also the better option. I do realise that it is a very controversial subject in the host nations. But please, whatever happened to a common humanity?
Were not interested in humanistic,tower of babel garbage. It's time these third world countries stood on their own 2 feet sand quit being parasites of the western world. All this unchecked immigration has caused is destruction of cultures,spread of disease and the third world always looking for a welfare handout. Not to mention the ungodliness of it all. Nothing short of Satanic garbage at it's worst.
Michael Gordon

Fort Wayne, IN

#3 Aug 20, 2007
Interesting article. But it says "The U.S. lost $41.1 billion in 2005". The U.S. didn't lose a penny. That money belonged to the hardworking people who earned it.
ALbanian

Enschede, Netherlands

#4 Aug 20, 2007
this is great news :)
ilir boston

Amesbury, MA

#5 Aug 23, 2007
Were not interested in humanistic,tower of babel garbage. It's time these third world countries stood on their own 2 feet sand quit being parasites of the western world. All this unchecked immigration has caused is destruction of cultures,spread of disease and the third world always looking for a welfare handout. don't forget your grandfather kill the indian after thanksgiving
Vegan

AOL

#6 Aug 24, 2007
Michael Gordon wrote:
Interesting article. But it says "The U.S. lost $41.1 billion in 2005". The U.S. didn't lose a penny. That money belonged to the hardworking people who earned it.
And what if all the hard working people took their money and sent it abroad? Do you get it?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Western Union Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Refund (Jul '16) Feb 27 Napo247 3
Western Union Sucks! (May '12) Feb 21 brunocookie 52
Sending from Ghana Jan '17 eward 1
Tracing western union payments Jan '17 tijanbah74 2
Western Union sucks (Jul '07) Jan '17 Vicki 69
unseriously service WU! Dec '16 John 1
Need help - WU holding money because of governm... (Jun '16) Jun '16 Mariota6 1
More from around the web