Disney revives hotel discount

Walt Disney Co. announced its first major hotel discounts in years Thursday to counter a "sobering" economic outlook for 2009, after reporting lower profit in its most recent quarter because of a decline in ... Full Story
First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Mark

Lakeland, FL

#1 Nov 7, 2008
Looks like Disney will start kissing the butts of Florida residents again after years of sticking it to us.I WONT be going to Disney World anymore!!!!!
Busted II

Melbourne, FL

#2 Nov 7, 2008
Awwww... poor Disney executives... I guess they won't be getting their bonuses this year... Well, TOO BAD!
Marcia

Ocala, FL

#3 Nov 7, 2008
Well if Disney lowers their rates, then Lake Buena Vista, International Drive and Kissimmee hotels will have to lower their rates even more to compete. From what I hear, they are already hurting, so expect a brutal year in 2009!
DriveBy Poster

United States

#4 Nov 7, 2008
Disney profit bad corporate executives bad profit money underpaid bad profit Disney corporate CEOs overpriced Disney bad profit bad.

Dang, a couple of y'all beat me to it already.
Busted II

Melbourne, FL

#5 Nov 7, 2008
jajaja... sorry DriveByPoster :)
star

Gainesville, FL

#6 Nov 7, 2008
We are Disney freaks and I wish that I could live there and go everyday.
But....Disney is quickly pricing so many families out of visiting Disney.
Times are tough for everyone and everytime you turn around Disney is raising the prices on admission, hotel rates, food.
We used to get season tickets and go about 8-10 times a year.
Disney priced us out of doing that.
We go about 1 time a year now and only for a few days.
It has just gotten too expensive for the average family.
star

Gainesville, FL

#7 Nov 7, 2008
Marcia wrote:
Well if Disney lowers their rates, then Lake Buena Vista, International Drive and Kissimmee hotels will have to lower their rates even more to compete. From what I hear, they are already hurting, so expect a brutal year in 2009!
I could not believe what the hotels are charging out on Irlo Bronson. We used to stay at the Econo Lodge on Irlo Bronson and they raised their prices so much that I can actually stay cheaper on Disney property now.
trtsmb

Tampa, FL

#8 Nov 7, 2008
star wrote:
We are Disney freaks and I wish that I could live there and go everyday.
But....Disney is quickly pricing so many families out of visiting Disney.
Times are tough for everyone and everytime you turn around Disney is raising the prices on admission, hotel rates, food.
We used to get season tickets and go about 8-10 times a year.
Disney priced us out of doing that.
We go about 1 time a year now and only for a few days.
It has just gotten too expensive for the average family.
The prices are insane, especially for food in the parks.
beach bum

United States

#9 Nov 7, 2008
Disney should lower the florida resident fee.
ut oh

Orlando, FL

#10 Nov 7, 2008
I'm a Florida resident annual passholder, and won't be renewing my annual pass for 2009. That $345.06 can go towards my mortgage.

Disney is way too expensive, and Disney executes need to suck it up and accept reduced salaries. It would also be nice if they stopped marketing so aggressively to the English, too.
Metro West

Orlando, FL

#11 Nov 7, 2008
ut oh wrote:
I'm a Florida resident annual passholder, and won't be renewing my annual pass for 2009. That $345.06 can go towards my mortgage.
Disney is way too expensive, and Disney executes need to suck it up and accept reduced salaries. It would also be nice if they stopped marketing so aggressively to the English, too.
I couldn't agree more. Disney won't be getting my money after April when my pass expires!
Passholder

Geneva, FL

#12 Nov 7, 2008
If Disney would let passholders make monthly payments like Seaworld then they would get a bigger chunk of the locals that just can't afford 1,000 at a time for Seasonal and Annual Passes. The Mouse seems to think it can be as greedy as it wants.
MJD

Windermere, FL

#13 Nov 7, 2008
I agree with Passholder. Also remove the parking fee, my family has the seasonal pass and there are times that we would love to go but just can't because that $12 parking fee is need elseware in our budget. I know Disney does not care because they have the money from us from the pass purchase. We would spend the $12 there any way (ie snack, drink, etc) but I can't spend $12 to park and then an additional $12 for those extra's.
DriveBy Poster

Schaumburg, IL

#15 Nov 7, 2008
ut oh wrote:
It would also be nice if they stopped marketing so aggressively to the English, too.
Umm...that might need a little more explanation. What difference might it make to you if they stopped marketing so aggressively to the English? I'm not trying to be confrontational, but I'm trying to find a connection, and I don't see it.
Jackie

United States

#16 Nov 7, 2008
We get our passes from AAA, it saves us like $20 a ticket. They need to have free parking for all of the passes though.
DriveBy Poster

Schaumburg, IL

#17 Nov 7, 2008
Passholder wrote:
If Disney would let passholders make monthly payments like Seaworld then they would get a bigger chunk of the locals that just can't afford 1,000 at a time for Seasonal and Annual Passes. The Mouse seems to think it can be as greedy as it wants.
$1000 at a time? I'm assuming that's for more than one pass. The Premium Annual is only $479 for adults (Florida resident); for theme parks only, the annual is only $359. I understand your point either way, but IMO, the annual pass is a tremendous value even if it does require that hefty up-front payment. On the Premium Annual, you only have to go 6 or 7 times in the year (none of which need to be grueling, all-day treks where you feel you need to get your money's worth) to make it worth your while. On the parks-only pass, you only have to go 5 times in the year.

Either way, it begs the question why tourists are willing and able to budget and save to make the trip, but some locals aren't. I'm a local, and I have the parks-only annual pass. I renew every year, biting the bullet but knowing it's worth it.
Mark Byrn

Kissimmee, FL

#18 Nov 7, 2008
So they're giving a discount to those who can afford to pay $4,000 to $6,000 for a week vacation? That's all well and good, but we're in the midst of an economic crisis that makes the post 9-11 downturn look like the best of times and Disney has jacked up the pries of park tickets, annual passes, and food non-stop to the point of obscene. The corporate suits have yet to experience the true impact of the crisis we're in, and with a new President coming in to make some changes, it's time for those who live in the Ivory Tower to step into the real world. Cutting a break to wealthy vacationers will not save your bottomline this time around.
DriveBy Poster

Schaumburg, IL

#19 Nov 7, 2008
MJD wrote:
I agree with Passholder. Also remove the parking fee, my family has the seasonal pass and there are times that we would love to go but just can't because that $12 parking fee is need elseware in our budget. I know Disney does not care because they have the money from us from the pass purchase. We would spend the $12 there any way (ie snack, drink, etc) but I can't spend $12 to park and then an additional $12 for those extra's.
I'm willing to take your word for it, but I have a hard time believing that $12 makes the difference in your decision whether or not to go when you already have the seasonal pass(es). If you've committed to the seasonal pass ($211 each for young children, more for adults, and you don't say how many are in your family) the $12 seems a trivial amount to keep you from going. Why did you even buy the pass(es)?
Every time I've gone, I've been allowed to carry in some outside bottled water, no questions asked. Since you cited drinks as something you'd prefer to spend the $12 on, you might consider carrying in (more) bottled water and save yourself that expense inside the parks.
MsFluffy

Daytona Beach, FL

#20 Nov 7, 2008
We are passholders and can go from our livingroom to inside the Kingdom in 35-45 minutes and do so several times a month. So even at about $350 each, it is well worth the price. Too expensive for you? Good, makes it less crowded for the rest of us, ha!
DVC Member

Dayton, NJ

#21 Nov 7, 2008
The last time WDW offered reduced rates, they did so at all levels of accommodations. This is an opportunity for families that couldn't afford to go otherwise; and it's also an opportunity for families to upgrade out of the Value Resorts.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Walt Disney Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Travel: Disneyland Paris, France (Aug '12) Apr '14 iride401 4
Mayor Rahm Emanuel Proclaims 'Walt Disney Day' ... (Dec '13) Dec '13 jimbo 2
Disney's MyMagic+ system falls behind schedule (Nov '13) Nov '13 Jim 1
Disney to disabled guests: No more cutting in line (Sep '13) Oct '13 Charles R Darwin 11
Walt Disney's Magic LGBT Kingdom (Jul '13) Jul '13 KittenKoder 9
9 Ways to Console Yourself Now That You Finishe... (Apr '13) Jun '13 Adnen 4
Cannes Winner Rithy Panh Launches Heritage Film... (May '13) May '13 King Kampu 1

Walt Disney People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE