Chambersburg Area School District's t...

Chambersburg Area School District's trip to Disney cost $31,584.65

There are 133 comments on the Public Opinion story from Sep 17, 2008, titled Chambersburg Area School District's trip to Disney cost $31,584.65. In it, Public Opinion reports that:

The Chambersburg Area School District's expenses for an educational conference at Walt Disney World totaled more than $30,000, according to financial records.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Public Opinion.

First Prev
of 7
Next Last
View

York Springs, PA

#121 Sep 20, 2008
So many people have the "We want results...but let's not pay any money for training, teachers, and supplies for the children." mentality.

Just how do you expect to have improved results if teachers/staff do not receive proper training?

Ever hear the saying, "If it's not broke, don't fit it?" Well, in this situation, they recognize that something does need to change and are taking time to see that people get training and DO something about it.
Lil John

Chambersburg, PA

#122 Sep 20, 2008
View wrote:
So many people have the "We want results...but let's not pay any money for training, teachers, and supplies for the children." mentality.
Just how do you expect to have improved results if teachers/staff do not receive proper training?
Ever hear the saying, "If it's not broke, don't fit it?" Well, in this situation, they recognize that something does need to change and are taking time to see that people get training and DO something about it.
'''Just how do you expect to have improved results if teachers/staff do not receive proper training'''you wrote!

Are you saying that the teachers that are now employed at CASD are not qualified unless the take a 30k trip to disney world ?

PLEASEEE!!!! I wonder how schools that are passing their acheivment tests and do not have to take an annual junket , are managing to do it!

let's see a quick total here -- 15 thousand for gettysburg last year and 30k this year HMMMM
anon coward

Wilmington, DE

#123 Sep 21, 2008
Lil John, what level of education did you attain? have you ever gone to a conference, or had any on the job training during your work experience?
Lil John

Chambersburg, PA

#124 Sep 21, 2008
anon coward wrote:
Lil John, what level of education did you attain? have you ever gone to a conference, or had any on the job training during your work experience?
The first think a loser ask's is to compare resumes!!

What I do or not do , have attained or not attained is irrelevamt I don't recieve taxpayer funds. My work depends on merit.

Do your teachers work on merit or just plain tenure and union protection?

Answer the friggin question of how schools pass the achievment tests without 30,000 dollar junkets.......
Lil John

Chambersburg, PA

#125 Sep 21, 2008
I can't wait till I hear of a teacher complaining about buying booksa and supplies out of their own pocket again!! LOLL
Give me a break

Chambersburg, PA

#126 Sep 23, 2008
xipot wrote:
<quoted text>
Give me a break...Give me a break!
You have got to be a teacher or even worse, an administrator.
And you must have been educated here...good response. Nice logic...well argued.(and no, I'm not a teacher or administrator).
BENT OVER IN JERSEY

Bergenfield, NJ

#127 Sep 23, 2008
It seems to me that the pro confernece individuals are missing the most important fact. Private sector spending is a moot point in this forum. As far as I'm concerned a private sector company can spend thier money any way the see fit to advance thier company. After all, it is their money. However, public sector spending is an entirely different issue. It is after all money that is taken from the taxpayer and intended, in this case to educate children.

So private sector conference supporters should just shut the %&*$ up! I work hard for my money and don't appreciate when it is squandered away. Hell, I could use a trip to WDW, but all the taxs that I pay prevent it!!
anon coward

Wilmington, DE

#128 Sep 23, 2008
Lil John wrote:
<quoted text>
The first think a loser ask's is to compare resumes!!
What I do or not do , have attained or not attained is irrelevamt I don't recieve taxpayer funds. My work depends on merit.
Do your teachers work on merit or just plain tenure and union protection?
Answer the friggin question of how schools pass the achievment tests without 30,000 dollar junkets.......
my point was if you had experience at a conference you might understand why spending the money could be worth it and lead to net benefit to the district. since you've never attended a conference, i can see why you would be skeptical. that's all i meant.
anon coward

Wilmington, DE

#129 Sep 23, 2008
BENT OVER IN JERSEY wrote:
It seems to me that the pro confernece individuals are missing the most important fact. Private sector spending is a moot point in this forum. As far as I'm concerned a private sector company can spend thier money any way the see fit to advance thier company. After all, it is their money. However, public sector spending is an entirely different issue. It is after all money that is taken from the taxpayer and intended, in this case to educate children.
So private sector conference supporters should just shut the %&*$ up! I work hard for my money and don't appreciate when it is squandered away. Hell, I could use a trip to WDW, but all the taxs that I pay prevent it!!
i think the private sector analogy stands. we do it in the private sector because you can spend a relatively low sum of money ($30 K would not even hire another teacher) and increase the productivity and efficiency of 20 teachers by 10%, which would be like adding 2 teachers. in this case it's cheaper to send 20 teachers to WDW, which should make people happy.

why is it impossible to believe this could be a win for taxpayers? it's pretty ironic to discount the education of our educators
Lil John

Chambersburg, PA

#130 Sep 23, 2008
anon coward wrote:
<quoted text>
my point was if you had experience at a conference you might understand why spending the money could be worth it and lead to net benefit to the district. since you've never attended a conference, i can see why you would be skeptical. that's all i meant.
Well we'll see if it leads to improvement.

You're right I am skeptical, given CASD's history!

Didn't say I never attended a conference -- have been sent to many programs for additional training, though never to a resort.
Never attended one without an attendance record!

Did they keep records of who attended what at the conference?

Bottom line -- according to the guidelines(rules) this expenditure of grant funds seems to be beyond the scope of the grant!
BENT OVER IN JERSEY

Bergenfield, NJ

#131 Sep 26, 2008
anon coward wrote:
<quoted text>
i think the private sector analogy stands. we do it in the private sector because you can spend a relatively low sum of money ($30 K would not even hire another teacher) and increase the productivity and efficiency of 20 teachers by 10%, which would be like adding 2 teachers. in this case it's cheaper to send 20 teachers to WDW, which should make people happy.
why is it impossible to believe this could be a win for taxpayers? it's pretty ironic to discount the education of our educators
Dude, I'm sorry that I don't view the world through your rosy Obama spectacles (I'm assuming that you are an Obama backer) but a 10% Improvement in efficiency? Are you serious? The closest that most of the attendees improved upon was a 10% improvement on their tans.
One thing that I learned by living my whole life in New Jersey is to not trust anything that anyone says. The only way to believe and/or maybe trust someone is by their actions.
In todayís economy many companies are making cuts. One area that my company is cutting back in is offsite training. With todayís technology it is just more cost effective and as far as we can tell so far the results are greater. Onsite training allows the employee to apply what is being learned to actual real world applications while actually completing some work. This is a win win situation, learning while working. The bottom line is that there is accountability. As far as I see it the Teachers unions and the school boards have pretty much taken that out of the equation.
So please donít be so naive as to believe that all people are honest and conscience. A 10% improvement might be possible in the private sector, although thatís very doubtful. However, in the public sector, thatís a pipe dream. So letís be true to ourselves, the money would have be better spent on some good ole number 2 pencils.
K Rich

New London, CT

#132 Sep 27, 2008
It amazes me that the same district that had to shut its cyber academy down at the end of last year could do this!? They could not find adequate funding to ensure that it's cyber student could remain in their programs; however, they made the budget fits a trip to Disney World in. Whether this trip was for educational purposes or not; we all know very well that the expense was a lot more because of the location!
mom4

Wilmington, DE

#133 Sep 27, 2008
Hometown Girl wrote:
And my family and friends wonder why I REFUSE to put my daughter into CASD!! Are you kidding me?? The teachers are overworked (too many students per teacher) and underpaid...while the administration sit around sipping coffee and pulling in 6 figure salaries??!! Am I the ONLY person who is confused by this??
Looking forward to my child starting school in Shippensburg next year. Imagine that...a SCHOOL that is a LEARNING FOCUS SCHOOL. Between TSD and CASD, I was starting to wonder if ANY school out there is for the kids and their education...
Why do you think Dr. Padasak won't bring his children to the CASD?

My sister was once a teacher in this district. She got so tried of all the political crap, she quit CASD, and is now teaching in Shippensburg. Very smart move you made there.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 7
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Walt Disney World Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News 5 New Yorkers detained in Disney World brawl (May '07) Mar '17 Truth Hurts Hard 130
Disneyland/WDW Hate Thread Mar '17 Truth Hurts Hard 1
Crybaby basketball team (Dec '16) Dec '16 Tru 1
News Disney's Magical Express thriving at OIA; rival... (Feb '08) Dec '16 Tomy 126
News Disney's Already Tight Security Gets a Boost Af... (Jun '16) Jun '16 Peter Pan 3
News Global Travel Service still sees consistent bus... (May '16) May '16 Propaganda 3
News Christian Activists Warn Parents to Steer Clear... (Jun '14) Feb '16 Rose_NoHo 55
More from around the web