Chambersburg Area School District's t...

Chambersburg Area School District's trip to Disney cost $31,584.65

There are 133 comments on the Public Opinion story from Sep 17, 2008, titled Chambersburg Area School District's trip to Disney cost $31,584.65. In it, Public Opinion reports that:

The Chambersburg Area School District's expenses for an educational conference at Walt Disney World totaled more than $30,000, according to financial records.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Public Opinion.

First Prev
of 7
Next Last
So What

New Castle, DE

#1 Sep 18, 2008
So what do you think a Mickey Mouse School District would do???
America rocks

Elizabethtown, PA

#2 Sep 18, 2008
Thank you to Mr. Piper for keeping tabs on district spending, and thank you to the PO for checking into it and getting the information to the local area. You did what a news agency is supposed to do - Keep 'em honest.

The article does beg the question: Does everyone working for the district get a $300/month stipend in addition to their salary?
tph

Shippensburg, PA

#3 Sep 18, 2008
Unfortunately I think the comment made by "so what" will set the tone for other vultures ready to pounce. Wake up Franklin County- workshops like this are held at places such as Disney to attract participants. I don't care what business you are in, most trade shows and conferences are held in areas with reasonable airline accessibility, adequate hotel space, and attractions for other family members who normally foot their own portion of the bill. Don't pounce on the expense. The proper response will be to follow-up in 6 months and ask each of the participants to write a report on how they benefited from the conference and exactly what learned skills were put to work for the district. Extract that level of accountability- don't take the easy route and simply criticize the trip
anon

South Plainfield, NJ

#4 Sep 18, 2008
So the money came from state funds?? Sylvia, where does the state get its money ??
anonymous

Chattanooga, TN

#5 Sep 18, 2008
Seems to me it would have been less costly to bring the speaker to Chambersburg and pay his/her expenses than go to Disney World for a workshop.
Ok Dokie

Chambersburg, PA

#6 Sep 18, 2008
tph wrote:
Unfortunately I think the comment made by "so what" will set the tone for other vultures ready to pounce. Wake up Franklin County- workshops like this are held at places such as Disney to attract participants. I don't care what business you are in, most trade shows and conferences are held in areas with reasonable airline accessibility, adequate hotel space, and attractions for other family members who normally foot their own portion of the bill. Don't pounce on the expense. The proper response will be to follow-up in 6 months and ask each of the participants to write a report on how they benefited from the conference and exactly what learned skills were put to work for the district. Extract that level of accountability- don't take the easy route and simply criticize the trip
Did you and your family enjoy your trip to Disney?
John Madrid

Inkster, MI

#7 Sep 18, 2008
Absolute waste of funds. Disgusting behavior by our school administrators. They can't afford to fund activities and provide supplies but they send employees on junkets to the tune of $30,000? This whole mess needs to be cleaned out from the school board to the substitute teachers.
inquiring mind

Chambersburg, PA

#8 Sep 18, 2008
"Their visit to the conference was paid for by a $207,000 state Project 720 grant spread over three years, which requires a portion of the funds be used for professional development. "
What portion of the Project 720 grant is to be used for professional development?
anon

Norristown, PA

#9 Sep 18, 2008
I am soo sorry students but the field trip to Harrisburg, Gettysburg etc...that is educational for you all won't happen this year because gas is soo expensive. BUT rest assured we've sent 19 teachers and administrator to Disney World for a conference!!
Exec

Washington, DC

#10 Sep 18, 2008
Our company does these types of trips occasionally. I have to agree with what Poster "tph" says. I will add in rebuttal to the comment "Seems to me it would have been less costly to bring the speaker to Chambersburg and pay his/her expenses than go to Disney World for a workshop." --- that yeaahhh, you could bring the speaker here, but these types of conferences have many speakers, and to bring all those speakers here would require a much greater cost.

Additionally, these representatives from the schools were sitting with and talking to leaders from other school districts, sharing ideas, mindstorming and coming away with a lot of new ideas. I've been there. I know what happens and the benefits.

I guess those of you criticizing these conferences are most likely someone who has never been to a conference, or if you had, you where those handfull of clods that choose to NOT participate and glean all you can from the opportunity. We've had a few of those ... attending a few sessions and then skipping off to play golf. That was the last time he/she attended. My people go to be engaged in the conference, and each one must come back and provide me a written report.
What

York Springs, PA

#11 Sep 18, 2008
Nothing ever pleases anyone in this town anymore.
jtb

United States

#12 Sep 18, 2008
WHAT THE...

I don't care who paid for it.

"she got the gold mine...I got the shaft..."
CASHS alum

Taylor, MI

#13 Sep 18, 2008
Wasn't it nice that BOTH of the VanArsdales got to go?
Justasking

Newville, PA

#14 Sep 18, 2008
Where is Padasak's name on the list? I see 'good ole' Mr.Purvis got another free trip like last year on the 'band' trip his son arranged through his travel agency. These people take as much as the public allows. GREED!!! What is a learning support teacher?
I am one

Riverside, NJ

#15 Sep 18, 2008
Justasking wrote:
Where is Padasak's name on the list? I see 'good ole' Mr.Purvis got another free trip like last year on the 'band' trip his son arranged through his travel agency. These people take as much as the public allows. GREED!!! What is a learning support teacher?
If you don't know what a learning support teacher is, you must have needed one
Fed Up Being OverTaxed

Virginia Beach, VA

#16 Sep 18, 2008
anonymous wrote:
Seems to me it would have been less costly to bring the speaker to Chambersburg and pay his/her expenses than go to Disney World for a workshop.
Isn't that the truth!
Al Bundy

United States

#17 Sep 18, 2008
Complete waste of time and money. They'd have been better off just having an In-Service Seminar with all the local and regional school districts.

Yes, tis nice that both Van Arsdales made the trip. Perhaps they should be a learning support team at the High School.

As far as "The Pad", what else would you expect from him. He has been thumbing his nose at the locals ever since he got his Little Kingdom.
ingrmnt

Philadelphia, PA

#18 Sep 18, 2008
The posts by tph and exec are right on the mark. Anybody who has ever been anywhere or done anything is aware of conferences like this. We want the local schools to measure up and yet when opportunities like this present themselves many people criticize. Getting in touch with the latest techniques is a most important part of improvement.
inquiring mind

Chambersburg, PA

#19 Sep 18, 2008
Let's see.$207,000 over three years. That comes to $69,000/year for three years. This professional development trip utilized 46% of this year's portion, or a little over 15% of the total amount for three years.

On what is the rest of the money supposed to be spent?
Dave

United States

#20 Sep 18, 2008
If we complain about the school's education that they provide, we shouldn't complain about trying to do something about it.

After all, to study the schools that did well is a rather obvious thing.

However, Disney World?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 7
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Walt Disney World Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Global Travel Service still sees consistent bus... 14 hr Propaganda 3
News Christian Activists Warn Parents to Steer Clear... (Jun '14) Feb '16 Rose_NoHo 55
News 5 New Yorkers detained in Disney World brawl (May '07) Jan '16 SUNFLOWER 126
News For students, climate change is elementary (Oct '08) Dec '15 Common sense 2
News Luxury homes inside Disney attracting families (Feb '15) Feb '15 phil n 1
News Dozens of Disney workers arrested over sex with... (Jul '14) Jul '14 no doubt 1
WDW Gay Days (May '14) May '14 Wondering 1
More from around the web