Walt Disney World, Universal boost ti...

Walt Disney World, Universal boost ties with Dems, GOP through ...

There are 18 comments on the Orlando Sentinel story from Feb 24, 2008, titled Walt Disney World, Universal boost ties with Dems, GOP through .... In it, Orlando Sentinel reports that:

When hundreds of Democratic activists sat down to dinner in a ballroom at Disney's Yacht & Beach Club resort last October, the final bill ran into the six figures.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Orlando Sentinel.

Flicka

Oviedo, FL

#1 Feb 24, 2008
We all agree that here in America, we have the best government money can possibly buy.
Common Sense

Tampa, FL

#2 Feb 24, 2008
So, do the high prices I pay at WDW support this behavior?
rdh

United States

#4 Feb 24, 2008
Common Sense wrote:
They sure do....the "fat-cats" just keep getting fatter. And "we" the little people feed them...while we starve...
I have to save 1-2 years to take my grandcjildern (2) to Disney on one of their "deals" and they're giving these "fatcats" everything FREE.
Sure makes me happy.....
Lola

Sugar Grove, IL

#6 Feb 24, 2008
I have paid $65 dollars for one ticket to a concert which lasted about 2 and a half hours. I have paid the same amount to attend a Off Broadway play, which lasted about 3 hours. I have paid $12 for a movie which lasted about 2 and a half hours. Disney charges just over $71 for around 10-12 hours of entertainment. That equals about $ 6 for an hour of amusement.
Jimmy

Tallahassee, FL

#7 Feb 24, 2008
The Florida Legislature is for sale and Disney & Universal are buying.

The corrupt nature of both parties in State government is disgusting. Vote all these freeloading, corrupt bums out of office this year!

How stupid do you have to be to buy the statement that all the free food, rooms, tickets, food & drinks are just to promote "goodwill".

Disney & Universal are really buying favors in tax breaks and favorable government "regulation" that will result in them making more money!

If you or I go to one of the theme parks we pay for everything. The only thing free is warm water from a drinking fountain, if you can find one.
Redogg

Richardson, TX

#8 Feb 24, 2008
This kind of stuff should be outlawed, but that will never happen. As long as corrupt politicians (in both parties) are making the laws, "corruption" will be the word.
Cynical Idealist

Tallahassee, FL

#9 Feb 24, 2008
All of you are missing the point!

The media focuses on the money in politics because they want people to think contributions by "special interests" improperly influences legislators.

The Sentinel wants readers to focus on the money in politics so they don't pay attention to the one special interest that has the greatest influence on how legislators decide public policy: The media.

If you think "special interests" are bad, open your billfold and look inside. Do you have a memnbership card for AAA, the NRA, AARP, one of the trade unions; or, do you own a business, or do you have a license to practice a profession?

If you answered yes to any of the above, then YOU are a part of the "special interests" that the media gripes about.

What they don't want is for you to to know that if you got off your rear-end, worked in a campaign or two, got to know your legislator, and actively particpated in the electoral process, then the "special interests" wouldn't need to contribute or to hire lobbyists like me.

Your failure to particpate in our participative democracy enables the "special interests" to act on your behalf, and the media to complain about it.

Nothing like a little conflict to sell mor papers...

Get involved people! It's YOUR government!
poor taxpayer

Astor, FL

#11 Feb 24, 2008
Flicka wrote:
We all agree that here in America, we have the best government money can possibly buy.
Yet another reason that we need VOTER COMPETENCY TESTING. If voters weren't so stupid then they couldn't be influenced by the ridiculous advertising that the politicians put out. So large globs of money would not be necessary to campaign for office.
THE SHADOW KNOWS

Orlando, FL

#12 Feb 24, 2008
HO HUM. OLD NEWS IS BETTER THAN NO NEWS. THE NEWS STAFF IS REALLY ON THE BALL.
Mo Lubee

Orlando, FL

#13 Feb 24, 2008
Good for Disney!
What the

Ponte Vedra Beach, FL

#14 Feb 24, 2008
Common Sense wrote:
Don't go. More room for us
What the

Ponte Vedra Beach, FL

#15 Feb 24, 2008
THE SHADOW KNOWS wrote:
HO HUM. OLD NEWS IS BETTER THAN NO NEWS. THE NEWS STAFF IS REALLY ON THE BALL.
Agree - slow news day
What the

Ponte Vedra Beach, FL

#16 Feb 24, 2008
Cynical Idealist wrote:
The media focuses on the money in politics because they want people to think contributions by "special interests" improperly influences legislators.
The Sentinel wants readers to focus on the money in politics so they don't pay attention to the one special interest that has the greatest influence on how legislators decide public policy: The media.
If you think "special interests" are bad, open your billfold and look inside. Do you have a memnbership card for AAA, the NRA, AARP, one of the trade unions; or, do you own a business, or do you have a license to practice a profession?
If you answered yes to any of the above, then YOU are a part of the "special interests" that the media gripes about.
What they don't want is for you to to know that if you got off your rear-end, worked in a campaign or two, got to know your legislator, and actively particpated in the electoral process, then the "special interests" wouldn't need to contribute or to hire lobbyists like me.
Your failure to particpate in our participative democracy enables the "special interests" to act on your behalf, and the media to complain about it.
Insightful post
DYERs PLAYWORLD

Plano, TX

#17 Feb 24, 2008
DOES THE IRS KNOW ABOUT THIS?
Law Abiding

Cocoa, FL

#19 Feb 24, 2008
Cynical Idealist wrote:
Typical answer from a blood-sucking lobbyist who is more of a pimp than any other profession. The lobbyist is involved at a BIG salary.
DADGAD

Orlando, FL

#20 Feb 25, 2008
Can't afford it? Don't go! It's that simple. Most of the Disney haters on here wouldn't go even if Disney offered $20.00 tickets and free parking. Your the same ones complaining about not being able to afford Magic tickets. But guess what? They have $10.00 seats for every home game. But why go when it's easier to sit home and complain?
I don't hate the rich. It's their money, they earned it. Let them spend it as they wish.
I don't pitty the poor. Your short on cash? Find a better, or 2nd job. You can make as much as you want, if your willing to work for it.
crg

AOL

#22 Feb 25, 2008
Cynical idealist sounds like a Tallahassee lobbyist.

The political process is for sale to the highest bidder. The public will not matter until the politicos start to lose elections DESPITE collecting unlimited amounts of money from special interests. Then they will start listening.

The thing I like best about Obama is how he is raising his money. A million online donors giving small amounts of money. If he pulls this off and wins the election, it could be the first step in redefining politics and taking this county back from the big money donors that presently run everything.

Politicians haven't feared the media in years. The only thing they fear is not getting enough $$$ in their campaign accounts before the next election cycle. The country is in serious trouble and the public needs to wake up before it's too late.
SAVE THE REPUBLICANS

Orlando, FL

#24 Mar 4, 2008
FROM TODAY'S SENTINEL:
Invitations are going out for another Republican Party of Florida fundraiser at Walt Disney World.
GOP donors who write a big enough check will get the chance to mingle and dine with Republican Gov. Charlie Crist at Disney's Contemporary Resort on June 12.
The invitations for the party's "Victory 2008" dinner are being distributed on the same day that Crist and the Florida Legislature open the 2008 legislative session. Those interested in attending are instructed to RSVP to Crist's top fundraiser or the state party's "finance division."
The event will presumably offer another chance for Disney to add to the more than $340,000 worth of "in-kind" gifts -- donations of food, drink, theme-park tickets, meeting space and hotel rooms -- it has given to the state Republican and Democratic parties over the last seven years.
==========

HERE'S YOUR CHANCE TO SAVE SOME POOR, LEADERLESS NEOCONS. GIVE TO THE GOP, AND SUPPORT CORRUPT PERVERTS AND CONSUMMATE INFLUENCE PEDDLERS.
THE MONEY FROM THE AMERICAN PETROLEUM INSTITUTE, THE AMERICAN CHEMISTRY COUNCIL, BIG AGRICULTURE AND BIG PHARMA JUST ISN'T ENOUGH. BUSH PIONEERS AND RANGERS, HEED THE CALL ! WE NEED YOUR DONATION TODAY !!!!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Walt Disney World Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Is Disney's Epcot dumping Ellen DeGeneres for '... Jul 4 kelly 1
funny picture of the day Jun 27 TOOT 1
News Disney's Already Tight Security Gets a Boost Af... Jun '16 Peter Pan 3
News Global Travel Service still sees consistent bus... May '16 Propaganda 3
News Christian Activists Warn Parents to Steer Clear... (Jun '14) Feb '16 Rose_NoHo 55
News 5 New Yorkers detained in Disney World brawl (May '07) Jan '16 SUNFLOWER 126
News For students, climate change is elementary (Oct '08) Dec '15 Common sense 2
More from around the web