If you have millions, a home near Disney could be yours -- Serv...

Full story: Orlando Sentinel

Three-story mansions and hundreds of other homes -- most valued at millions of dollars apiece -- would be built along the banks of Walt Disney World canals and sold to private individuals in a project under ...

Comments

Showing posts 1 - 20 of67
< prev page
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Jessica R

Orlando, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#1
Mar 28, 2008
 
Or they could rent a hotel room at the Ritz Carlton and save millions. But, what the hell do I know?
Bottom line

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#2
Mar 28, 2008
 
Jessica R wrote:
Or they could rent a hotel room at the Ritz Carlton and save millions. But, what the hell do I know?
If you consider real estate taxes, maintenance fees and expenses, insurance costs, the ROI, and the headaches of ownership, it is almost always preferable to rent or stay in a hotel. At least in Florida. But the people who live off the real estate "dream" don't want you to think about this.
Jessica R

Orlando, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#3
Mar 28, 2008
 
Bottom line wrote:
<quoted text>
If you consider real estate taxes, maintenance fees and expenses, insurance costs, the ROI, and the headaches of ownership, it is almost always preferable to rent or stay in a hotel. At least in Florida. But the people who live off the real estate "dream" don't want you to think about this.
I agree! During the housing boom I told my husband that we should sell our house and rent an apartment. When this crash finally occurs, because it was plainly obvious that it would, we could buy back in with all of that $$. He wasn't convinced. Too bad. I think anyone who plunks down millions to live in Disney World is truly living in lala-land because it sounds like nothing but a rental community with a fancy name.
Beast Villager

Media, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#4
Mar 28, 2008
 
So basically it will be another Celebration; where Disney markets the place as being the most special community on the planet (because Disney built it), then as time goes by and they made all their money on it, they pull out, wash their hands of it, leave the residents to fend for themselves, and let the place turn into a quagmire of problems. Just the fact that they are already working on de-annexing it tells the whole story. It will be the same type of mess Celebration turned into. I wonder if they will contract the same shoddy builders who built all the expensive defective houses in Celebration? Maybe they could hire Pat Wasson to run this new development too.
MJD

Boynton Beach, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#5
Mar 28, 2008
 
..........and then they'll sell it off like Celebration, Disney would be out after they get their cash and people will be pis*sed like they are at Celebration now!!!!

THE END
Silverwolf

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#6
Mar 28, 2008
 
It's still a rich man's ghetto, no matter what they call it.
MJD

Boynton Beach, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#7
Mar 28, 2008
 
Beast Villager wrote:
So basically it will be another Celebration; where Disney markets the place as being the most special community on the planet (because Disney built it), then as time goes by and they made all their money on it, they pull out, wash their hands of it, leave the residents to fend for themselves, and let the place turn into a quagmire of problems. Just the fact that they are already working on de-annexing it tells the whole story. It will be the same type of mess Celebration turned into. I wonder if they will contract the same shoddy builders who built all the expensive defective houses in Celebration? Maybe they could hire Pat Wasson to run this new development too.
Indubidably!!!!
hrd

Kokomo, IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#8
Mar 28, 2008
 
I'm sure it will be mostly foreign people buying because few Americans could afford it and besides with all the foreigners in Florida now it is like going to a foreign country when you go there now.
I feel I'm the only English speaking and reading AMERICAN there....They are so rude and inconsiderate of othwers, I can see why there is so much trouble around the world. Let them stay in their own country. We invent, develope and do things and they take over...GO HOME FOREIGNERS!!!!!!
What the

Apopka, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#9
Mar 28, 2008
 
Disney no longer owns Celebration.
Beast Villager wrote:
So basically it will be another Celebration; where Disney markets the place as being the most special community on the planet (because Disney built it), then as time goes by and they made all their money on it, they pull out, wash their hands of it, leave the residents to fend for themselves, and let the place turn into a quagmire of problems. Just the fact that they are already working on de-annexing it tells the whole story. It will be the same type of mess Celebration turned into. I wonder if they will contract the same shoddy builders who built all the expensive defective houses in Celebration? Maybe they could hire Pat Wasson to run this new development too.
What the

Apopka, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#10
Mar 28, 2008
 
People, always forget; even at the heart of all the 'good' Disney may do they're still a massive corporation where the dollar is king and needy & greedy shareholders want their investment to increase in value, every year. The worst thing a company can do, is go public. Their product quality goes down the tubes; and merely bought and paid for in China for $0.10 an hour wages. People think, for some reason, Disney is different...they're not. I just sit back and laugh at posts, being made that Disney is somehow above the status quo for corporate America.
Larry

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#11
Mar 28, 2008
 
Walt Disney is rolling over in his grave. So much for the "place where everyone can come and spend time with their kids". Disney is turning into a place where you can only come if you have money. Certainly Disney cast member could'nt afford it. The Average parent would have to save for 5 years to bring the kids to Disney. Now Disney is being set up for only the rich. It won't matter how long the average family saves, they will never be able to come to Disney. This is not Walt's vision.
What the

Apopka, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#12
Mar 28, 2008
 
How is this any different than say, Hawaii? Decades ago, 80% of Hawaiian realestate was owned by the Japanese. I'm failing to see how this is anything new, in this country.
hrd wrote:
I'm sure it will be mostly foreign people buying because few Americans could afford it and besides with all the foreigners in Florida now it is like going to a foreign country when you go there now.
I feel I'm the only English speaking and reading AMERICAN there....They are so rude and inconsiderate of othwers, I can see why there is so much trouble around the world. Let them stay in their own country. We invent, develope and do things and they take over...GO HOME FOREIGNERS!!!!!!

Since: Jun 07

Orlando, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#13
Mar 28, 2008
 
What the wrote:
Disney no longer owns Celebration.
<quoted text>
Which part of this sentence was not clear to you?

"... then as time goes by and they made all their money on it, they pull out, wash their hands of it, leave the residents to fend for themselves, and let the place turn into a quagmire of problems."
We got the heck out

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#14
Mar 28, 2008
 
I doubt any local millionaires are going to be living in central FL in 30 years. Who wants masses of angry poor people storming the gates of your compound?

The only people who can afford these places will be foreigners who benefit from our weakening dollar, and even they are finally realizing that FL is well on its way to being a haven for criminals, crooks, and scammers.
simple

Longwood, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#15
Mar 28, 2008
 
Imagine wakeing up every morning to "It's a small world after all" every day.
Disney Dissappearing

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#16
Mar 28, 2008
 
Agian the Rich are getting what they want. Disney is catering to the rich. Disney is a place for familes and people to come and ejoy the parks and resorts. NOT TO BULID HOMES THAT ONYL THE RICH CAN AFFORD. why not use that land for another park? Disney needs a roller coaster park more then a bunch of snobby rich people living there.
Disney Dissappearing

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#17
Mar 28, 2008
 
Larry wrote:
Walt Disney is rolling over in his grave. So much for the "place where everyone can come and spend time with their kids". Disney is turning into a place where you can only come if you have money. Certainly Disney cast member could'nt afford it. The Average parent would have to save for 5 years to bring the kids to Disney. Now Disney is being set up for only the rich. It won't matter how long the average family saves, they will never be able to come to Disney. This is not Walt's vision.
HEAR HEAR AMEN TO THAT!

Since: Feb 08

Paisley

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#18
Mar 28, 2008
 
Word on the street over here in Europe is that Disney have banned children from some parts of the Grand Floridian hotel - Way to go Disney!

That's the corporate Disney spirit for you.
ReFiLL

Winter Haven, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#19
Mar 28, 2008
 
hrd wrote:
I'm sure it will be mostly foreign people buying because few Americans could afford it and besides with all the foreigners in Florida now it is like going to a foreign country when you go there now.
I feel I'm the only English speaking and reading AMERICAN there....They are so rude and inconsiderate of othwers, I can see why there is so much trouble around the world. Let them stay in their own country. We invent, develope and do things and they take over...GO HOME FOREIGNERS!!!!!!
Listen to you, What's your ancestry? I agree, there is trouble in the world. However, it is not "Foreigners" who are the problem, it stems from people (like you) who believe what you are told and like to hate on others because of your Learned predjudices. Please stay in Indiana and don't come hate in my State.

“I hate those guys.”

Since: Feb 08

Faber College

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#21
Mar 28, 2008
 
Larry wrote:
Walt Disney is rolling over in his grave. So much for the "place where everyone can come and spend time with their kids". Disney is turning into a place where you can only come if you have money. Certainly Disney cast member could'nt afford it. The Average parent would have to save for 5 years to bring the kids to Disney. Now Disney is being set up for only the rich. It won't matter how long the average family saves, they will never be able to come to Disney. This is not Walt's vision.
Agreed.

"Disneyland is a work of love. We didn't go into Disneyland just with the idea of making money." -Walt Disney

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 1 - 20 of67
< prev page
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Walt Disney World Discussions

Search the Walt Disney World Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
Dozens of Disney workers arrested over sex with... Jul 16 no doubt 1
Christian Activists Warn Parents to Steer Clear... Jun '14 Dubya 30
WDW Gay Days May '14 Wondering 1
5 New Yorkers detained in Disney World brawl (May '07) Apr '14 Only me 125
10 best attractions in Florida: Readers' Choice... (Dec '13) Jan '14 Moneymoneymon 2
Silver Springs has last weekend as private attr... (Sep '13) Sep '13 well 2
At Disney Parks, a bracelet to build loyalty (Jan '13) Aug '13 Six Figures 8
•••
•••
•••
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••