Van Halen to rock Bankers Life Fieldh...

Van Halen to rock Bankers Life Fieldhouse in Downtown Indianapolis tonight

There are 23 comments on the The Indianapolis Star story from Feb 22, 2012, titled Van Halen to rock Bankers Life Fieldhouse in Downtown Indianapolis tonight. In it, The Indianapolis Star reports that:

Rock band Van Halen will visit Indianapolis tonight at Bankers Life Fieldhouse. The tour's third date promotes "A Different Kind of Truth," the first Van Halen album in 28 years to feature David Lee Roth -- and Indiana native -- on lead vocals.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Indianapolis Star.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Fan

United States

#1 Feb 23, 2012
I've read the reviews this morning, and I can't believe I was at the same concert! First let me preface this by saying I LOVE VAN HALEN!! I'm old enough to have seen them with David Lee, and didn't want to love them with Sammy Hagar, but I fell anyway. I anticipated a concert that would take me back to my youth..make me feel as invincible as Eddie's virtuoso playing. What I left with was a big slap of reality! No, I'm no longer that teenage "hot girl". No, David Lee is not the best lead singer for the band. No, I will not reminisce about this night should I attempt to reminisce about the kick-ass Van Halen concerts I attended in my youth. I'm left feeling melancholy. Its a feeling I would never use to describe the effect of seeing the all time great Van Halen.(They were great you know! I've seen them 6 times!) Eddie is still a virtuoso in my book. The only guitarist that comes close (in my opinion of course!) Is Mark Tremonti, but I digress. Alex was still awesome as well. Those brothers can do no wrong! It made me feel the pride of a mother in watching "Wolfie" play along side his Dad and Uncle. I couldn't help but think now I know why Valerie beams with pride when she talks about him on tour.:) Let's cut to the chase...David Lee Roth. The great showman, Diamond Dave, oh Dave...I felt like I was visiting my once cool uncle who's now gone senile in the nursing home! There! I've said it!! I think Diamond Dave is senile! I feel like I've just committed blasphemy, but the truth has to be spoken! I prefer to remember you in your heyday Dave. When you commanded the audience. When it was truly a show to see you and Eddie give it your all. Sadly, last night was painful to watch. It was painful to watch you try. It was painful to watch you forget lyrics. I'm sorry Dave, as a fellow Hoosier native I believe someone has to be honest with you. It kinda feels like telling someone they have dementia, and you need to take their car keys away. Dave, I still love the youthful memories you provided, I will still pop in a cd and dance around like I'm still the 1980's hot girl when no one is watching, but Dear Dave we need to take your mic from you. Its for your own good Dave. Cue melancholy.....
Diamond Dave

Freetown, IN

#2 Feb 23, 2012
Let me get this straight,you admit that you're no longer the "hot girl" and you expect me to be the same party dude I was two decades ago? Look darlin',I forgot the words to tunes during shows back in the day.(Hell,to be honest,I don't even remember doing shows at all back in the day.) But anyway,the only difference is you're NOW sober enough to notice. Moreover,you can't drink like a teenager with a stomach full of Weight Watchers!

The only thing that has changed is your perception. Btw,I might be old. I might be a bit senile. But I'm still in shape and I bet you're fat.
Fan

United States

#3 Feb 23, 2012
Oh Dave!! I DO love you! I even said I felt as though I was committing blasphemy! Your reaction was never-the-less to be expected. Sorry Dave, I don't drink, and no I'm not delusional enough to believe I look as I did in my teens. Who does? That's just weird.. I am a grown woman who is not on weight watchers!:) I only made a painful observation regarding your vocal skills. I did not have an expectation of a wasted 1982 Dave. I thought your experience would garner a better show. Who better to bring the razzle dazzle of one the greatest showmen on earth than Diamond Dave? Eddie & Alex were flawless. They have mellowed like a fine wine that borders on perfection. I apologize for hurting your feelings. I do truly love you...your are in great shape physically. I was really just disappointed
vocally to the point of feeling sad and melancholy. That's all......
Diamond Dave

Freetown, IN

#4 Feb 23, 2012
Fan wrote:
Oh Dave!! I DO love you! I even said I felt as though I was committing blasphemy! Your reaction was never-the-less to be expected. Sorry Dave, I don't drink, and no I'm not delusional enough to believe I look as I did in my teens. Who does? That's just weird.. I am a grown woman who is not on weight watchers!:) I only made a painful observation regarding your vocal skills. I did not have an expectation of a wasted 1982 Dave. I thought your experience would garner a better show. Who better to bring the razzle dazzle of one the greatest showmen on earth than Diamond Dave? Eddie & Alex were flawless. They have mellowed like a fine wine that borders on perfection. I apologize for hurting your feelings. I do truly love you...your are in great shape physically. I was really just disappointed
vocally to the point of feeling sad and melancholy. That's all......
Wow! You're on fire. A live wire. Barely a beginner...Look darlin',I made my case in my previous post and I'm not gonna repeat myself. I'm glad you still love me. I love you--but we're not talkin''bout love.

Perhaps you'd be more happy with a lip synched performance,ala Justin Beiber?

As far as your comment with respect to Eddie and Alex mellowing like fine wine. You're close,but no cigar. Here's a different kind of truth for ya! Both of them can still whine like a couple of school girls with a wild and total uninhibited abandonment. Actually,Alex is Big Foot. It's true. You should see him when he wakes up in the afternoon before his handlers have an opportunity to make him appear human.

As for Eddie? Well,Eddie is Eddie.

Btw,did you miss Michael at all?

I'll conclude our little chat by sayin' its been fun. At first you kinda fooled me by your style and ease. But you're a live wire,and nothing gets you higher.....
Samuel Hagar

Freetown, IN

#5 Feb 23, 2012
Fan wrote:
I've read the reviews this morning, and I can't believe I was at the same concert! First let me preface this by saying I LOVE VAN HALEN!! I'm old enough to have seen them with David Lee, and didn't want to love them with Sammy Hagar, but I fell anyway. I anticipated a concert that would take me back to my youth..make me feel as invincible as Eddie's virtuoso playing. What I left with was a big slap of reality! No, I'm no longer that teenage "hot girl". No, David Lee is not the best lead singer for the band. No, I will not reminisce about this night should I attempt to reminisce about the kick-ass Van Halen concerts I attended in my youth. I'm left feeling melancholy. Its a feeling I would never use to describe the effect of seeing the all time great Van Halen.(They were great you know! I've seen them 6 times!) Eddie is still a virtuoso in my book. The only guitarist that comes close (in my opinion of course!) Is Mark Tremonti, but I digress. Alex was still awesome as well. Those brothers can do no wrong! It made me feel the pride of a mother in watching "Wolfie" play along side his Dad and Uncle. I couldn't help but think now I know why Valerie beams with pride when she talks about him on tour.:) Let's cut to the chase...David Lee Roth. The great showman, Diamond Dave, oh Dave...I felt like I was visiting my once cool uncle who's now gone senile in the nursing home! There! I've said it!! I think Diamond Dave is senile! I feel like I've just committed blasphemy, but the truth has to be spoken! I prefer to remember you in your heyday Dave. When you commanded the audience. When it was truly a show to see you and Eddie give it your all. Sadly, last night was painful to watch. It was painful to watch you try. It was painful to watch you forget lyrics. I'm sorry Dave, as a fellow Hoosier native I believe someone has to be honest with you. It kinda feels like telling someone they have dementia, and you need to take their car keys away. Dave, I still love the youthful memories you provided, I will still pop in a cd and dance around like I'm still the 1980's hot girl when no one is watching, but Dear Dave we need to take your mic from you. Its for your own good Dave. Cue melancholy.....
HELLOOOOOOooo BAAAABBYYYYYYyyyyyy!
Phat

Duncan, OK

#6 Feb 23, 2012
All of you guys should get a walker get into a nursing home.
Samuel Hagar

Freetown, IN

#7 Feb 23, 2012
Phat wrote:
All of you guys should get a walker get into a nursing home.
Give me a break.
Diamond Dave

Freetown, IN

#8 Feb 23, 2012
Hey,Hey,Hey...

One break.....Comin' up!!
Fan

United States

#9 Feb 23, 2012
Finally!!!! The passion and enthusiasm that was missing last night!!! Hope this has fired you up to give the fans in Chicago what they want!! The Great Diamond Dave! You got to bleed for it baby!!:). P.S. Who doesn't miss Michael? But this was about YOU and YOUR performance! Love Always....
Diamond Dave

Freetown, IN

#10 Feb 23, 2012
Fan wrote:
Finally!!!! The passion and enthusiasm that was missing last night!!! Hope this has fired you up to give the fans in Chicago what they want!! The Great Diamond Dave! You got to bleed for it baby!!:). P.S. Who doesn't miss Michael? But this was about YOU and YOUR performance! Love Always....
Are we talkin' about my performance on stage? Or are you referring to my performance in the hotel room????
Uncle

Indianapolis, IN

#11 Feb 23, 2012
Samuel Hagar wrote:
<quoted text> Give me a break.
It is pathetic to see seventy year old men prancing around like someone gives a damn. Best case scenario would be for them to be a Gabby Hayes type character for some leading stud.

These are men the age of my grandpapa.

In any real life setting they would just be as odd as a creepy child molester. That is what these guys remind me of creepy child molester trying to trick their victims with puppies and candy.
That Is Sad

Freetown, IN

#12 Feb 23, 2012
Uncle wrote:
<quoted text>
It is pathetic to see seventy year old men prancing around like someone gives a damn. Best case scenario would be for them to be a Gabby Hayes type character for some leading stud.
In any real life setting they would just be as odd as a creepy child molester. That is what these guys remind me of creepy child molester trying to trick their victims with puppies and candy.
I'm so sorry to read that your Grandpapa was a creepy molester. You're in my thoughts and prayers.
Dancing With The Stars

Freetown, IN

#13 Feb 23, 2012
Uncle wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm with you. Fred Astaire was particularly creepy. But check this link out....Talk about C-R-E-E-P-Y.

Uncle

Indianapolis, IN

#14 Feb 23, 2012
Seriously, would you sit down for Thanksgiving Dinner with these old leatherly and perverted has beens with half a brain?

Would you subject your kids to such?

If my grandpapa starts dancing around like Mick Jagger, I am going to get him committed or put in a nursing home. And he is five years younger than Jagger.
Torn

Indianapolis, IN

#15 Feb 23, 2012
Puppies and Candy hehehehehehe!
Torn

Indianapolis, IN

#16 Feb 23, 2012
Dancing With The Stars wrote:
<quoted text>I'm with you. Fred Astaire was particularly creepy. But check this link out....Talk about C-R-E-E-P-Y.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =ZHWZwS7yHf4XX
Yes that video was funny of that pathetic win bag Rush Limpball dancing, but Mick is old enough to be his father...or grandfather.
Torn

Indianapolis, IN

#17 Feb 23, 2012
Is this Mick Jagger dancing or one of the patrons at the Van Halen Concert?

http://youtu.be/eGzvgOeCYDI
WoW

Freetown, IN

#18 Feb 23, 2012
David Lee Roth of 2012 reminds me of Mike Love in 1985 as far as his presentation. Anyone else notice the comparison?

DLR w/t Van Halen February 20th 2012

&fe ature=youtu.be

Mike Love w/t The Beach Boys at Live Aid in 1985

http://www.youtube.com/watch...
The Ultimate Kaptoz

Indianapolis, IN

#19 Feb 24, 2012
Van Halen was a rock band when it had David Lee Roth as the singer, They became a pop band when Haggar took over briefly , Not to slam Haggar He still rocks hard, I just think it sounded to poppy when he sang with them.I liked Roth's solo career as well.Sammy on his own was much better.His new band Chicken foot rocks hard.Plus Roth is a Hoosier =) Like Rick Derringer and John Cougar Mellencamp. Too bad about Henry Lee Summer THOUGH =(.yES eDDIE VAN HALEN STYLE OF PLAYING WAS a whole new creation, Every new guitar player tried too mimic his style.Yes the first was indeed jimmy Hendrix who changed the way lead guitar was played and sounded.I could toss in other great guitar players styles. This is about VAN HALEN. I HOPE THEY WELCOME BACK MICHAEL ANTHONY ON THE BASS.
twisted sister

Netherlands

#20 Feb 25, 2012
Van Halen dudes, get your god damn asses over to holland after the U.S. tour! We wanna see you perform here!!!!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Van Halen Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Van Halen Keeps the Shoreline Amphitheater Jump... (Jul '15) Jul '15 Hadji 1
News Eddie Van Halen Performs Jimi Hendrix's "Fire" ... (Jul '15) Jul '15 Hadji 1
News David Lee Roth's Van Halen Sales Trounce Sammy ... (May '15) May '15 jeannie tibbetts 1
News David Lee Roth Has 'Credibility Issue' With Sam... (May '15) May '15 jeannie tibbetts 1
News Van Halen tour headed for Bay Area (Mar '15) Mar '15 clownwong 1
News Van Halen announces summer tour (Mar '15) Mar '15 Ravenite Coffee 1
News Jesse Jackson Jr. cana t escape the Federal Ele... (Feb '15) Feb '15 Le Jimbo 1
More from around the web