Sammy Hagar: Joe Satriani 'Is The Bes...

Sammy Hagar: Joe Satriani 'Is The Best Guitarist I Have Ever Played With'

There are 28 comments on the BlabberMouth.net story from May 1, 2009, titled Sammy Hagar: Joe Satriani 'Is The Best Guitarist I Have Ever Played With'. In it, BlabberMouth.net reports that:

Neil Baron of Reno Gazette-Journal reports: Longtime rock 'n' roll frontman Sammy Hagar knows a great guitarist when he hears one.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at BlabberMouth.net.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
SamIam

Denver, CO

#1 May 2, 2009
Figures

Sam, to get attention I need to bash EVH

“The truth will set you free...”

Since: Jul 07

Lisbon

#2 May 4, 2009
Sam,

You've played with Eddie Van Halen, the most influential and innovative rock guitarist that ever was (arguably, as one may say the same about Hendrix and/or Page). In 1988, live in New Haven, you said "he is my best friend in the world".

It doesn't sound any good having you saying this, as Satch himself has creditted Edward as one of the greatest guitarists that ever lived.

Regarding the article, Edward did a lot more than "breaking new ground"... and still does. Just see how many people use maple top and maple neck guitars nowadays... and how many people use 5150 amps and cabinets (or tweeked their Plexi amps the way Ed did)... and the Floyd Rose development... and Drop-D tuning... and the sustainer... and two-hand tapping, tapped harmonics, etc., etc., etc.

I'm sure "Satch Boogie", "Crushing Day", "Summer Song" and "Always..." have a lot of merit, but they're no match for "Eruption" (alone).

I'm looking forward to watch/hear Chickenfoot in concert and I'm not less enthusiastic by knowing Sam is bashing his old buddies... but it's really sad that he has.
Luca

Bosnia and Herzegovina

#3 May 31, 2009
Just to respond to mogwai73, Eruption is not a match for all those Satriani's songs you mentioned because the first part is nothing but nonsense fast playing, and tapping is just shit. Satriani shows much more versality, emotion and techinque and theory in his playing
PucaLuca

Denver, CO

#4 May 31, 2009
Luca wrote:
Just to respond to mogwai73, Eruption is not a match for all those Satriani's songs you mentioned because the first part is nothing but nonsense fast playing, and tapping is just shit. Satriani shows much more versality, emotion and techinque and theory in his playing
LOL, thats a crock, Eruption is a really great solo, EVH was 10 years ahead of anything Satch had a done, EVH is a great guitar player, Spammy is just sucking off Satch right now, Chickencrap will never do anything as ground breaking as Van Halen.
Eddie is one of the most influential guitarists ever-- right up there with Hendrix, Clapton, Page. He is a good songwriter, and is more technically advanced than any of the aforementioned players.
Remember,Eddie doesnt play like everyone else,everyone else plays like him. I want you guys to do some reasearch....Take a listen to the first Van Halen album.......done? Ok,please note that the album was made in 1978. Now,I want you to listen to every album or guitarist from 1977 on back. Ok,can ANY of you name a guitarist that even REMOTLY sounds like Eddie?? I'll save you some trouble,YOU CANT!! There is NO guitarist before that sounded or did anything like that! Now,listen to guitarist from 1978-2002,how many play like Eddie? THOUSANDS,MILLIONS! Every guitar player after VH1 sounded like Eddie. THATS why he is my favorite guitar player and is ALWAYS listed in any 'top 10 guitarist' list. Sorry,I cant say the same for Satriani.
Chubber 29

Tallahassee, FL

#5 Jun 1, 2009
Luca wrote:
Without Eruption there would be no Satch. Eddie changed the way guitar is played. Satch is just good guitar player. That's the difference. Learn that.
Rich

Hamilton, New Zealand

#6 Jun 2, 2009
Satriani kicks EVHs arse all over the floor. Granted Eddie made up some cool stuff and was original. Joe has so much more feel and talent and he isnt a mental selfish guy like EVH. And i am a big Eddie fan.
Rich

Hamilton, New Zealand

#7 Jun 2, 2009
I am just so happy for especially Michael Anthony. He was kicked out of Van Halen without even being told. He found out on the internet. I mean...he was with them from the start. I feel he has been vindicated in my eyes. Just like Roth when he got Vai on the guitar. The common denominator in Van Halens problems have been Eddies bitchyness.
Its Shammy

Denver, CO

#8 Jun 2, 2009
Chubber 29 wrote:
<quoted text>
Without Eruption there would be no Satch. Eddie changed the way guitar is played. Satch is just good guitar player. That's the difference. Learn that.
Thats right
Its Shammy

Denver, CO

#9 Jun 2, 2009
Rich wrote:
Satriani kicks EVHs arse all over the floor. Granted Eddie made up some cool stuff and was original. Joe has so much more feel and talent and he isnt a mental selfish guy like EVH. And i am a big Eddie fan.
EVH is one of the greats, the same cannot be said about joe, EVH is ten times as talented as joe, joe was only ten years behind EVH, EVH has tons of talent and skill Edward Van Halen's approach to the guitar involves several distinctive components. His innovative use of two-handed tapping, natural and artificial harmonics, vibrato, and tremolo picking, combined with his rhythmic sensibility and melodic approach, have influenced an entire multi generation of guitarists. Eddie achieved his distinctive tone, known as the "Brown sound", by using a Frankenstrat guitar, a stock 100-watt Marshall amp, a Variac to lower the voltage of the amp to change the tone and effects such as an Echoplex, an MXR Phase 90, an MXR Flanger and EQs. Van Halen constructed his Frankenstrat guitar using a Charvel factory 2nd body and neck, a vintage Gibson PAF humbucker pickup sealed in paraffin wax to reduce microphonic feedback, a pre-CBS Fender tremolo bridge later to be a Floyd Rose bridge and a single volume control with a knob labeled 'tone'. Eddie has used a variety of pickups including Gibson PAF's, 1970s Mighty Mites, DiMarzios and Super 70s.
EVH rewrote Rock Guitar Joe just followed the path laid by EVH
Kenny T

Basking Ridge, NJ

#10 Jun 2, 2009
EVH supporters on this site... KUDDOS! I couldn't agree more. After 1978, every guitarist followed in Eddies foot-steps.
Kenny T

Basking Ridge, NJ

#11 Jun 2, 2009
I can't wait until the NEW DLR/EVH/AVH/WVH new album in 2010...

Eddie Van Halen Promises New Album and Tour for 2010!
Monday, 1 June 2009
From RollingStone.com

http://www.vhnd.com/
Dbennett5150

Boynton Beach, FL

#12 Jun 3, 2009
Kenny T wrote:
EVH supporters on this site... KUDDOS! I couldn't agree more. After 1978, every guitarist followed in Eddies foot-steps.
Yea, But Eddie can't follow in his own
footsteps because He's Drunk and Sick.
He bashed DLR for years (Next time I see you
you;d better be wearing a cup??,.... Whoaaaa...
...Down Tough Eddie,... You Scare Me!))))....
Sammy put up with Drunk Eddie in 2004 Tour
and fucked MA, Great Guitar, But A true DICK, even Zack Wylde said so. Enough said, PERIOD!
ItsShammy

Denver, CO

#13 Jun 3, 2009
Dbennett5150 wrote:
<quoted text> Yea, But Eddie can't follow in his own
footsteps because He's Drunk and Sick.
He bashed DLR for years (Next time I see you
you;d better be wearing a cup??,.... Whoaaaa...
...Down Tough Eddie,... You Scare Me!))))....
Sammy put up with Drunk Eddie in 2004 Tour
and fucked MA, Great Guitar, But A true DICK, even Zack Wylde said so. Enough said, PERIOD!
Dude put the crackpipe down, Zakk Loves EVH he has said so, EVH played very good on the 2007-08 tour Dave is in the band and doing well, maybe you should just STFU

Lisbon

#14 Jun 8, 2009
Kenny T wrote:
I can't wait until the NEW DLR/EVH/AVH/WVH new album in 2010...
Eddie Van Halen Promises New Album and Tour for 2010!
Monday, 1 June 2009
From RollingStone.com
http://www.vhnd.com/
Just checked it: EXCELLENT !!!!!

http://www.rollingstone.com/news/story/284785... (page 1)

http://www.rollingstone.com/news/story/284785... (page 2)
ANTHONY5150

Coppell, TX

#15 Jun 14, 2009
DAMN SAM?STILL JEALOUS OF EDWARD OR WHAT??SATRIANI WILL NEVER,EVER,EVER,BE AS GOOD AS EDDIE,"THE GOD OF GUITAR"SO STFU!!!!!!!!!!
Brad

Salt Lake City, UT

#16 Jun 17, 2009
Chubber 29 wrote:
<quoted text>
Eddie is a great guitarist and no doubt more innovative. It's just that Satch is more into songwriting than technique. No one has been able to do as succesfully what Satch has done. I wouldn't say that Eddie has more technical skill than Satch. That's a question I don't think anyone can answer.
Best Guitarist

Longmont, CO

#17 Jun 17, 2009
Brad wrote:
<quoted text>
Eddie is a great guitarist and no doubt more innovative. It's just that Satch is more into songwriting than technique. No one has been able to do as succesfully what Satch has done. I wouldn't say that Eddie has more technical skill than Satch. That's a question I don't think anyone can answer.
WTF are you talking about ? Satch is not a song writer, EVH is, EVH is 10000x more influential, just listen to the first 7 albums by Van Halen before Satch had one, Had had 12 Platinum albums in row Satch has had 1 EVH was 10 years ahead of satch

Lisbon

#18 Jun 24, 2009
Best Guitarist wrote:
<quoted text>
WTF are you talking about ? Satch is not a song writer, EVH is, EVH is 10000x more influential (...)
100% right on !!!

Many times EVH has been asked why wouldn't he come up with a solo record to what he replied "I'm soloing all the time" !!!

Edward wrote "Humans Being" on his own, "Once" (the synth, the guitar, the bass solo...), not to mention "Baluchiterium", "Cathedral", "Spanish Fly", "Eruption" and his influence on the band's music...

I like Satch (especially before "Time Machine") but he's light-years behind Edward Van Halen. Btw, he's not even close to his "pupil" Steve Vai...
yorba

Brooklyn, NY

#19 Jul 20, 2009
Sammy has a good point and for technical guitar playing Joe is one of the best to ever pick up a fret board.
The advantage that EVH has over Joe, which will have people remembering him as a guitarist long after Joe, is that EVH is one of the best Hard Rock song writers of all time. EVH is a much better Hard Rock guitarist and song writer. That's was rock fans truly want and love. That's why Van Halen has sold about 80 million more albums then Joe. I'm sure even Joe would admit that.
I will choose in VH 1 over Surfing With the Alien anytime.
WildHorseStudios 1421

Whittier, CA

#20 May 4, 2010
In past interviews Sammy has said that Johnny Fortune was the best guitarist ever. Johnny passed away in 2006 so maybe Sammy has replaced him.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Van Halen Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Van Halen Keeps the Shoreline Amphitheater Jump... (Jul '15) Jul '15 Hadji 1
News Eddie Van Halen Performs Jimi Hendrix's "Fire" ... (Jul '15) Jul '15 Hadji 1
News David Lee Roth's Van Halen Sales Trounce Sammy ... (May '15) May '15 jeannie tibbetts 1
News David Lee Roth Has 'Credibility Issue' With Sam... (May '15) May '15 jeannie tibbetts 1
News Van Halen tour headed for Bay Area (Mar '15) Mar '15 clownwong 1
News Van Halen announces summer tour (Mar '15) Mar '15 Ravenite Coffee 1
News Jesse Jackson Jr. cana t escape the Federal Ele... (Feb '15) Feb '15 Le Jimbo 1
More from around the web