Former Erie TV anchor Mike Gallagher ...

Former Erie TV anchor Mike Gallagher meets setbacks with courage, and a smile

There are 27 comments on the Erie Times News story from Apr 1, 2012, titled Former Erie TV anchor Mike Gallagher meets setbacks with courage, and a smile. In it, Erie Times News reports that:

Watch a WJET-TV produced video featuring former sportscaster Mike Gallagher's career highlights from an interview with Eddie Van Halen to the hit that knocked him cold at a Cleveland Browns game in 1988.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Erie Times News.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Jacques

Huron, OH

#1 Apr 2, 2012
if mike was black he would already be on easy street for Ss and disability... go figure.
Just Me

Bethesda, MD

#2 Apr 2, 2012
Maybe Mr. Scott Sr. could donate some money to him & his family. I'm sure he owns some apartment buildings or houses too that he could provide free rent to them. He paid old Clara's taxes on a home she got for free that she can't pay for the basics. Free heat for her, free food, etc. The people who worked all of their lives get "jack". Hey Mr. Scott...show him "the money".
Jacques

Huron, OH

#3 Apr 2, 2012
Just Me wrote:
Maybe Mr. Scott Sr. could donate some money to him & his family. I'm sure he owns some apartment buildings or houses too that he could provide free rent to them. He paid old Clara's taxes on a home she got for free that she can't pay for the basics. Free heat for her, free food, etc. The people who worked all of their lives get "jack". Hey Mr. Scott...show him "the money".
true...
Goot

Erie, PA

#4 Apr 2, 2012
Just Me wrote:
Maybe Mr. Scott Sr. could donate some money to him & his family.
He'd offer him a job -- minimum wage, as always.
Peggy

Erie, PA

#5 Apr 2, 2012
Maybe he can open a production company with Bussiere.
No Name

Meadville, PA

#6 Apr 2, 2012
I am not a footbal fan but I would never stand along the sideline at a pro game. It would be as bad as standing at the side of a racetrack
Goot

Erie, PA

#7 Apr 2, 2012
Peggy wrote:
Maybe he can open a production company with Bussiere.
He should take Pussiere to a Browns game -- give him a good spot on the sidelines.
Coach Count

Erie, PA

#8 Apr 2, 2012
Gallegher got famous for being stupid. He was able to buy vey nice photography equipment due to money he received for being stupid. Single parent? his ex wworks construction and has always been a great worker. His position as a local celebrity gave him the kids. The ex is twice the work that this free loader is. BTW how many of you remember him from the late 80's or early 90's? Covering HS football games and flirting with teenage cheerleaders. hugging the little girls and hugging and squeezing them. Sorry IMO the guy is a perv.
Jacques

Huron, OH

#9 Apr 2, 2012
Coach Count wrote:
Gallegher got famous for being stupid. He was able to buy vey nice photography equipment due to money he received for being stupid. Single parent? his ex wworks construction and has always been a great worker. His position as a local celebrity gave him the kids. The ex is twice the work that this free loader is. BTW how many of you remember him from the late 80's or early 90's? Covering HS football games and flirting with teenage cheerleaders. hugging the little girls and hugging and squeezing them. Sorry IMO the guy is a perv.
my point is if he was a black perv he would be laughing all the way to the bank
Goot

Erie, PA

#10 Apr 2, 2012
Coach Count wrote:
s or early 90's? Covering HS football games and flirting with teenage cheerleaders. hugging the little girls and hugging and squeezing them.
You say that like it's a bad thing.
Sad to say

Erie, PA

#11 Apr 2, 2012
Jacques wrote:
<quoted text>my point is if he was a black perv he would be laughing all the way to the bank
My point is your ISP location. Get bent, loser.
Goot

Erie, PA

#12 Apr 2, 2012
Sad to say wrote:
<quoted text>
My point is your ISP location. Get bent, loser.
Traceroutes and HOIC. Gotta love em.
Nasty

Erie, PA

#13 Apr 2, 2012
No Name wrote:
I am not a footbal fan but I would never stand along the sideline at a pro game. It would be as bad as standing at the side of a racetrack
While I feel bad for Mike Gallagher and wish him the best of luck in dealing with a series of terrible events I have to be honest and admit that the incident Gallagher said changed everything in his life was indeed a result of a bad decision on his part. Of course I am talking about the day he was hit near the out of bounds line at a Cleveland Browns football game. This incident was played over numerous times and it remains very clear that Gallagher stood too close for too long while filming the action of that particular play. When you look at the positions of other photographers and people along the lines of that play you will see that Gallagher never yielded his spot. I suppose one takes pride in getting the best shot while being as close to the action as possible but one also has to have the common sense to know when to move when holding a very expensive and heavy piece of camera equipment pressed close to one's face in such a perilous situation. I know that Gallagher's argument was based on claiming that the Cleveland Browns had him move to the area he was filming from. However, the fact remains that Gallagher failed to do what every other rational thinking human would have done in that situation and move back as danger moved in. What really sealed my stance in believing that Gallagher was his own worst enemy is the fact that I personally witnessed Gallagher being incredibly reckless after the Cleveland incident. It happened twice in fact at a Gannon University men's basketball game. Gallagher would often position himself seated cross legged on the floor just a foot or so off the base line in the corner of the court with camera firmly up against his face. One time he was bowled over as a player chased down a loose ball. This all happening despite the Cleveland episode and numerous surgergies ! After seeing this and sharing comments with other shocked spectators in the stands it's obvious to me that Gallagher made some very poor and risky choices leading to, by his own admission, a long series of events that put him in the prediciment he unfortunately finds himself.
Joey Stevens

Erie, PA

#14 Apr 2, 2012
Too bad the hit he took was the best hit I ever saw at the sh!t brown stadium.
Tim

Cleveland, OH

#15 Apr 2, 2012
I wish Mr Gallagher nothing but the best. God Bless
henry

United States

#16 Apr 2, 2012
Mike is a douche bag...he is getting what he deserves!
haha

Erie, PA

#17 Apr 2, 2012
Nasty wrote:
<quoted text>While I feel bad for Mike Gallagher and wish him the best of luck in dealing with a series of terrible events I have to be honest and admit that the incident Gallagher said changed everything in his life was indeed a result of a bad decision on his part. Of course I am talking about the day he was hit near the out of bounds line at a Cleveland Browns football game. This incident was played over numerous times and it remains very clear that Gallagher stood too close for too long while filming the action of that particular play. When you look at the positions of other photographers and people along the lines of that play you will see that Gallagher never yielded his spot. I suppose one takes pride in getting the best shot while being as close to the action as possible but one also has to have the common sense to know when to move when holding a very expensive and heavy piece of camera equipment pressed close to one's face in such a perilous situation. I know that Gallagher's argument was based on claiming that the Cleveland Browns had him move to the area he was filming from. However, the fact remains that Gallagher failed to do what every other rational thinking human would have done in that situation and move back as danger moved in. What really sealed my stance in believing that Gallagher was his own worst enemy is the fact that I personally witnessed Gallagher being incredibly reckless after the Cleveland incident. It happened twice in fact at a Gannon University men's basketball game. Gallagher would often position himself seated cross legged on the floor just a foot or so off the base line in the corner of the court with camera firmly up against his face. One time he was bowled over as a player chased down a loose ball. This all happening despite the Cleveland episode and numerous surgergies ! After seeing this and sharing comments with other shocked spectators in the stands it's obvious to me that Gallagher made some very poor and risky choices leading to, by his own admission, a long series of events that put him in the prediciment he unfortunately finds himself.
The Cleveland fans pelted him with snowballs and batteries while he was laying on the field unconscious.
Ha ha ha
#eveready
former broadcaster

Erie, PA

#18 Apr 3, 2012
Wow,you all are brutal. Coach Count who said:

his ex wworks construction and has always been a great worker. His position as a local celebrity gave him the kids. The ex is twice the work that this free loader is.

WRONG.She DID work construction about 10 years ago when she left him AND their six kids, whom he has raised ALONE. She walked out. Done being a mother. Who does that? Not mike. Yes, wrong place, stupid move. Is he an angel? Of course not.Was he reckless? Absolutely. Is he getting 'what he deserves?' No one 'deserves' to be in a dire situation even though he probably could have tried to stop this situation before it got to this point.

And, as for Nick Scott taking care of him or anyone else...why? The guy owns businesses and may be a millionaire, but that doesn't mean he has to dole out his money the way YOU think he should.

Finally, being black doesn't mean automatic disability and SS. Mike will likely recieve these because he is able to provide medical documentation of his disability, and his skin color won't matter.

Again, you people are brutal.
Roy D

Saint Marys, OH

#19 Apr 3, 2012
Sad to say wrote:
<quoted text>
My point is your ISP location. Get bent, loser.
how do you where his ISP is... are you a peeping tom ?
Goot

Erie, PA

#20 Apr 3, 2012
former broadcaster wrote:
Wow,you all are brutal. Coach Count who said:
his ex wworks construction and has always been a great worker. His position as a local celebrity gave him the kids. The ex is twice the work that this free loader is.
WRONG.She DID work construction about 10 years ago when she left him AND their six kids, whom he has raised ALONE. She walked out. Done being a mother. Who does that? Not mike. Yes, wrong place, stupid move. Is he an angel? Of course not.Was he reckless? Absolutely. Is he getting 'what he deserves?' No one 'deserves' to be in a dire situation even though he probably could have tried to stop this situation before it got to this point.
And, as for Nick Scott taking care of him or anyone else...why? The guy owns businesses and may be a millionaire, but that doesn't mean he has to dole out his money the way YOU think he should.
Finally, being black doesn't mean automatic disability and SS. Mike will likely recieve these because he is able to provide medical documentation of his disability, and his skin color won't matter.
Again, you people are brutal.
Topix is the sordid underbelly of Erie. Use your media contacts to shine a light on this cesspool, since Topix doesn't care as long as you don't post anything critical of them.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Van Halen Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Van Halen Keeps the Shoreline Amphitheater Jump... (Jul '15) Jul '15 Hadji 1
News Eddie Van Halen Performs Jimi Hendrix's "Fire" ... (Jul '15) Jul '15 Hadji 1
News David Lee Roth's Van Halen Sales Trounce Sammy ... (May '15) May '15 jeannie tibbetts 1
News David Lee Roth Has 'Credibility Issue' With Sam... (May '15) May '15 jeannie tibbetts 1
News Van Halen tour headed for Bay Area (Mar '15) Mar '15 clownwong 1
News Van Halen announces summer tour (Mar '15) Mar '15 Ravenite Coffee 1
News Jesse Jackson Jr. cana t escape the Federal Ele... (Feb '15) Feb '15 Le Jimbo 1
More from around the web