Where to see Long Island tribute bands

Full story: Newsday

For tribute bands -- like discount stores, distilleries and frozen-food makers -- stormy economic times carry a silver lining.

Comments

Showing posts 1 - 20 of74
< prev page
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
patti

Oceanside, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 8, 2009

Judged:

What about Beginnings??? A great Chicago tribute band?
dread pirate roberts

New York, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 8, 2009

Judged:

check out Pudding Time - a tribute to Primus. I think you can see them on youtube and they have a myspace page.
Monty

Durham, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 8, 2009

Judged:

Mike Del Giudice is the biggest sleaze going. He pawns himself off as some artist while all he really does is cheat on his wives (he has had 3 of them). White trash from Miller Place
Brooke

Jacksonville, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 8, 2009

Judged:

Yea...let's get rid of all these stupid dj's and these bars (nutty irishman) that have become clubs. Get some good bars back on the island with live bands. Not everyone living on Long Island are clubbers or guidos.
Brooke

Jacksonville, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 8, 2009

Judged:

g-u-i-d-o-s that was censored and it shouldn't be.
paul mullen

Brooklyn, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 8, 2009

Judged:

you missed the best band of all LIVE/WIRE
the best of AC/DC
WALLY

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 8, 2009

Judged:

GET THE URGE...A GREAT BAND PLAYING TRIBUTE TO ALL THE CLASSICS ..AND DOING IT WELL!!FRI 1/09 @ MUSTANG SALLY'S WEST ISLIP. THE URGE RULES!!
You all make me sick

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 8, 2009

Judged:

An unintended consequence of the anti-drinking/anti-smoking jihad is that all the great music clubs of the 1970's closed and now there is NO real music scene on Long Island.

Chaulk on eup for the lifestyle police, they killed yet another of the little joys in life.

----------
If you like tribute bands, try the dix hills center for the performing arts.

----------
If these musicians were as good as the originals they'd be originals.

----------
Were has all the original music on Long Island gone?

----------
yyz

Morristown, NJ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 8, 2009

Judged:

thin red line
saturday 1/24 @ mustang sallys west islip
mr stretch

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 8, 2009

Judged:

You all make me sick wrote:
An unintended consequence of the anti-drinking/anti-smoking jihad is that all the great music clubs of the 1970's closed and now there is NO real music scene on Long Island.
Chaulk on eup for the lifestyle police, they killed yet another of the little joys in life.
----------
If you like tribute bands, try the dix hills center for the performing arts.
----------
If these musicians were as good as the originals they'd be originals.
----------
Were has all the original music on Long Island gone?
----------
I agree 100 %. Back in the day, clubs like SPIT, HAMMERHEADS, and
THE MALIBU were *THE* HAPPENING SPOTS on L.I. I wouldn't go see a "tribute band", even if you paid me enough to see one of the "real" bands' concerts!
Especially when this "band" is playing in the corner Irish Bar - with room for 6 people including the drunk on the stool at the end of the bar...
Matt Potvin

Patchogue, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 8, 2009

Judged:

Tribute bands and their supporters are a disgrace to music. They have no integrity, creativity, or guts.
The only "tribute" band (which they are not) that is good is the Funk Filharmonik.
That said, people should check out orginal bands like FEAR OF FRED and IRIDESENSE that have been around for 10 years + and proved themselves worthy.
yes, some original bands suck, but there is (was) a lot of good original music out there.
Any man that goes to see "Bad Medicine" is not a man in my book.

“Let's go Yankees”

Since: Jul 08

Long Island

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 8, 2009

Judged:

Matt Potvin wrote:
Tribute bands and their supporters are a disgrace to music. They have no integrity, creativity, or guts.
The only "tribute" band (which they are not) that is good is the Funk Filharmonik.
That said, people should check out orginal bands like FEAR OF FRED and IRIDESENSE that have been around for 10 years + and proved themselves worthy.
yes, some original bands suck, but there is (was) a lot of good original music out there.
Any man that goes to see "Bad Medicine" is not a man in my book.
the Funk Filharmonink......now THAT is a band!!!!!

The 70's were a great time. Speaks had a top band 6 nights a week, and the place was always jumping. The Stanton Anderson band, The Good Rats, Zebra, Twisted Sister, and my personal favorite....Rat Race Choir! Too bad, but it's just not the same anymore. You can still catch the Good Rat (Pepi only) playing around, or on a rare occasion the Stanton Anderson Band, and even Zebra does something together every once in a while.
frigginurge

Brooklyn, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 8, 2009

Judged:

Gimme a break with the tribute bands. Everyone can find them, anytime. What happened to the days when you plugged the local nobodies as well as the bands everyone already knows about. I know a few nobodies who will mow down any audience and these bands. Open up a little, Newsday. Get The Friggin Urge !
frigginurge

Brooklyn, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 8, 2009

Judged:

WALLY wrote:
GET THE URGE...A GREAT BAND PLAYING TRIBUTE TO ALL THE CLASSICS ..AND DOING IT WELL!!FRI 1/09 @ MUSTANG SALLY'S WEST ISLIP. THE URGE RULES!!
RIGHT ON WALLY, SEE YOU THE 17th AT THE BRIGHTWATERS INN IN, WHERE ELSE, BRIGHTWATERS !!!!
felix

Coram, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 8, 2009

Judged:

Hey,

There are more than just good tribute bands out there. There are some cool cover bands that do their own take on songs from back in the day.
Down and Dirty is playing at the Riverview in Oakdale on Friday at 7pm. If you want to dance and feel good, go check them out.

“Parental Alienation Attorney”

Since: Apr 07

Forest Hills, N.Y.

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 8, 2009

Tribute 1964 looks and plays like the concert Beatles. Simply amazing!
Joanie Mertens

Orange, CT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 8, 2009

Judged:

Get the Urge !!!!!!!!!!
Soft White Underbelly

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 8, 2009

Judged:

Throughout my high school years, we chased the Good Rats, Zebra, Twisted Sister, Mazarin and (wink, wink) the Soft White Underbelly from Cheers to Hammerheads to My Fathers Place to the Nassau Coliseum!!! We had a stake in those bands - the music mattered. 30 years later, my friends and I still remember that Zebra show at Hofstra, the Good Rats opening for Rush... Robbie Krieger of the Doors jumping on stage with the "Soft White Underbelly" at Hammerheads. Kids today are so deprived. The great Ry Cooder said it best: "Bad music will make you weak." Sad times indeed. If this was the attitude in the 1970s, that crazy kid from Hicksville never would have got a chance to play "Piano Man" or "Captain Jack" in front of a live audience.
fez

Stamford, CT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 8, 2009

Judged:

there are plenty of great local original bands on long island, but no wonder they never get heard. it sounds like you guys all partied like rock stars 30 years ago and I'm figuring the asst living places won't let you out past the early bird special!
I Remember Too

Brooklyn, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 8, 2009

Judged:

HarleyRyder wrote:
<quoted text>
the Funk Filharmonink......now THAT is a band!!!!!
The 70's were a great time. Speaks had a top band 6 nights a week, and the place was always jumping. The Stanton Anderson band, The Good Rats, Zebra, Twisted Sister, and my personal favorite....Rat Race Choir! Too bad, but it's just not the same anymore. You can still catch the Good Rat (Pepi only) playing around, or on a rare occasion the Stanton Anderson Band, and even Zebra does something together every once in a while.
I agree, but you forgot the local band that so many of us thought was truly great.....ESSENCE!

Essence truly rocked like few others

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 1 - 20 of74
< prev page
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Van Halen Discussions

Search the Van Halen Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
Eddie Van DIRT Baggie/ SATAN'S Child Mar '14 Taylor Swift For Real 1
Jackson auction stopped after authenticity issues (Sep '13) Sep '13 Murray Joke 1
Greatest Guitar Solos of All Time Readers Poll:... (Sep '13) Sep '13 Ded Zep 1
Nikki Sixx and Slash Win Golden Gods Awards (Apr '12) Aug '13 RiotAct666 4
Exercise vital before joint replacement (Jul '13) Jul '13 Candice F 1
Tips for joint replacement patients (Jun '13) Jun '13 Christopher 2
Judge: Sammy Hagar's memoir did not defame woman (May '13) May '13 Whatever 2
•••
•••
•••
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••