michael jeffries, former lead singer:...

michael jeffries, former lead singer: the two things in one, first recording

Posted in the Tower of Power Forum

Jason

San Jose, CA

#1 Oct 6, 2008
MICHAEL JEFFRIES, the former lead singer of TOWER OF POWER also performed the lead vocals for a local Bay Area band called The Two Things In One, back in the early 70's. This group had performed several hit singles Snag Nasty, Silly Song in 1971, Stop Telling Me, Together Forever in 1973, & Overdose, Close The Door in 1974, produced by Music City Records. There was also a rare never before released recording by the same group. The name of the singles are Choirs In My Teardrops & Let's Get It Together, produced by ROCK-WAY RECORDS back in 1970.
Two Things In One Fan

Oakland, CA

#2 Jun 1, 2011
THE TWO THINGS IN ONE "TOGETHER FOREVER: THE MUSIC CITY SESSIONS"

Ace/BGP Records CDBGPD 240
Release date: July 2011

• The Two Things In One are a band that by rights should have been huge. The precociously-talented, soulful quintet were popular in the early 70s in their native San Francisco Bay Area with three local hits in the singles ‘Silly Song’,‘Together Forever’ and ‘Over Dose’, all sought-after vinyl items today.

• With an average age of just sixteen at the time of these recordings, all made for the legendary Music City label, this self-contained unit blended Stevie Wonder-like vocal chops and Meters/JB grooves with a rare ability for transforming unlikely covers like the Allman Brothers’‘Dreams’ and CSNY’s ‘Ohio’ into deeply funky workouts. During their time together, the Two Things In One recorded more than an album’s worth of superb, mostly original material, all of which can now be heard on TOGETHER FOREVER: THE MUSIC CITY SESSIONS.

• Members later played with Tower Of Power, Sly & The Family Stone and other notables, and the Two Things In One story is a fascinating run-down of what could have been. Produced in full co-operation with the band, OGETHER FOREVER: THE MUSIC CITY SESSIONS gives props to an unheralded yet remarkably talented combo.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Tower of Power Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Tower of Power musician miffed at Albuquerque c... (Feb '10) Aug '13 Jazz guitar 15
News There's nothing like music in the park on a sum... (Jun '08) Jan '13 Hunter 7
News Tower of Power plays the Klein in Bridgeport (Nov '11) Aug '12 Jerry 15
News Hispanic bands signed, entertainment slate secu... (Jun '12) Jun '12 Wanglow 4
News Power-ful performance at LEC (Mar '11) Mar '11 Karen Lee 1
News Smooth jazz sounds warm up cool evening in Detroit (Sep '10) Sep '10 Tony 1
Tower of Power/Tony Adamo (Jul '10) Aug '10 FredHarris 2
More from around the web