'Anti-immigration feeling' decried (4...

'Anti-immigration feeling' decried (4:11 a.m.)

There are 27 comments on the Las Cruces Sun-News story from Mar 4, 2011, titled 'Anti-immigration feeling' decried (4:11 a.m.). In it, Las Cruces Sun-News reports that:

State Sen. Jose Rodriguez, D-El Paso, told a Mexican business group Thursday that the anti-immigration climate in Austin leaves new immigrants such as them at a disadvantage.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Las Cruces Sun-News.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last

“I Put the "B" in ITCH!!”

Since: Jun 08

Wood-Ridge, NJ

#1 Mar 4, 2011
Wow, isn't this guy ballsy. When will these politicians get it? It has nothing to do with one's ethnicity, although in these parts more people are coming here illegally from Mexico and beyond, it's a case and always has been of legal versus illegal. American citizens don't want to pay for the illegal population any longer. It is not called immigration when one enters illegally, it's called breaking the law.
Get Real

Delray Beach, FL

#3 Mar 4, 2011
Has anyone noticed how the politicians speaking about immigration reform use many $100.00 words in their speaches, but seem to leave one particular word out? The word that seems to get lost is "illegal".
Singer

Las Cruces, NM

#4 Mar 4, 2011
I hate it when they break out the sob stories to work on the emotions of the tender hearted. I no longer care about their sob stories. If you come here without going through proper channels, not willing to learn English, not willing to give up citizenship of the country you just fled from, then you don't deserve to be here taking up our money, rights, or anything. I am also tired of hearing about their rights when our rights as US citizens are completely ignored and dismissed.

We have got to get a handle on this situation and fast. How would they like it if we started sneaking into their country without papers and started calling the shots and insisting that things be printed in English so we can vote in their elections or participate in anything the legal citizens of their country enjoy. How would they like it if we took up all money and energy from their honest citizens? You can bet they would not stand for if.
Becky

Huntsville, AL

#5 Mar 4, 2011
It is about time some people have come to their senses. We need to stop with the handouts to illegal immigrants. I do not have an issue as long as immigrants come to the United States the right way. If not, there is no expectation of any benefits.
Heard it all

El Paso, TX

#6 Mar 4, 2011
I'm putting my foot down. I will not support mexican businesses who dont have employees who speak english. I recently went to a department store and the cashier didnt speak ANY english. STOP catering to the mexicans.
ditto

Albuquerque, NM

#7 Mar 4, 2011
Heard it all wrote:
I'm putting my foot down. I will not support mexican businesses who dont have employees who speak english. I recently went to a department store and the cashier didnt speak ANY english. STOP catering to the mexicans.
ditto
ima

El Paso, TX

#8 Mar 4, 2011
Heard it all wrote:
GOOD JOB!! I just wish we legal residents and citizens would all do the same, so OUR BUSINESSES won't suffer lack of customers.
Paul

Santa Fe, NM

#9 Mar 4, 2011
The majority of these arguements are not about people,but if you want live in the US of A. do so,at least do it legally and learn English.
just this ole tx boy

San Antonio, TX

#10 Mar 4, 2011
Becky wrote:
It is about time some people have come to their senses. We need to stop with the handouts to illegal immigrants. I do not have an issue as long as immigrants come to the United States the right way. If not, there is no expectation of any benefits.
i think thats the way to go, lets spread the word. im starting today, right now, ill not eat at a place where they dont speak english, the buffet at slaughter and 35 in austin, i asked for utensils and the mex girl calls her supervisor who is also mex, i asked for utensils and he just looks at me with a clueless look, i finally asked in spanish, no more.
ima

El Paso, TX

#11 Mar 4, 2011
Mr. Leo Berman, please keep up the good fight against automatic citizenship for undocumented immigrants' kids. This Jose Rodriguez more than likely is on LA RED'S payroll, along with Reyes and others who sell their OWN CITY to the cartels. They're using him for their political pull. He is right in saying Austin is different, thank God for this because just maybe El Paso will realize the decomposing of our city due to the NO LIMIT influx of RUN AWAYS from Juarez and STAND BY AUSTIN. We can't let our city continue to become so degraded by these unwelcomed businesses!!! Come on El Paso stand up for our city and DEMAND A LIMIT AND STOP TO ANY MORE resturants, etc from the INVADERS!!!
Live in El Paso

Siler City, NC

#12 Mar 4, 2011
"Sen. José Rodríguez, D-El Paso" - talks about anti-immigrant climate, but NO ONE mentions the anti-American climate in Mexico. A recent poll concluded that Mexico came in third (behind Iraq and Afganistan) among anti-American countries. It is time that America got rid of the politically correct, wishy-washy, liberal-give-it-all-away types and take back the pride in our country. Incentives for companies who hire and produce in America and additional taxes and tariffs for those that don't. Maytag, Electrolux, Levis, shame on you.
ima

El Paso, TX

#13 Mar 4, 2011
just this ole tx boy wrote:
<quoted text>i think thats the way to go, lets spread the word. im starting today, right now, ill not eat at a place where they dont speak english, the buffet at slaughter and 35 in austin, i asked for utensils and the mex girl calls her supervisor who is also mex, i asked for utensils and he just looks at me with a clueless look, i finally asked in spanish, no more.
GOOD JOB, thanks I'm beginning to feel better. Was thinking I stood practically alone in my QUEST to BOYCOTT these businesses
Hear This

Siler City, NC

#14 Mar 4, 2011
One of the biggest problems with the culture in El Paso is the 20+ years of Diana Natalicio and her "executive board" cronies (add Dean Nachmann to this list) pandering, pleading and begging Illegals to come over the border and hide. Years of looking the other way, providing incentives for mexican nationals and generally glossing over the problems under the name of "we have to educate the poor, dear children....", has influenced the El Paso area to a negative end. Natalicio, like Janet N. does not believe there is a crime issue in El Paso related to the drug cartel. All the while, burned out cars with dead bodies in them, missing El Pasoans and stash houses in El Paso provide the real truth. Let's start by cleaning El Paso's city government up (throw them out) and cleam up our educational system (turn UTEP into a Texas institution instead of a Mexican institution). It took 20+ years for UTEP to get into this mess, but it will take less to clean it up.
Immigration

Albuquerque, NM

#15 Mar 4, 2011
I'm hispanic. I have no problem with immigrants. Our country is made of immigrants. It's ILLEGAL immigrants that is the problem. Our government should be able to regulate which non-Americans enter our country based on resourses available. When illegal immigrants distroy that process, over-burdening our schools, hospitals and social services, that's when hatred arises.
I work in a tax office, illegals don't pay taxes, but by using stolen social security numbers and IRS assigned ITIN numbers, they are getting thounsands of dollars in taxpayer money. Not through EITC but through the refundable child tax credit, and believe me, they have children! Then the person they stole the social security number from gets a bill from the IRS for wages they failed to report (because they didn't know about those wages).
The first generation may want to work hard, but the second generation tends to join gangs and the criminal life. That sounds like racist profiling, but if you live in Las Cruces, you can see it in every home burglary and drive by.
Loves_Beever

El Paso, TX

#16 Mar 4, 2011
We too avoid all these new Juareno restaurants. So you are NOT alone! We avoid the Chih'ua (I think thats how it's spelled), these Burrito Cristomo (I think thats how it's spelled), plus many others.
Plus, when going to a dept store, or any store for that matter, and the cashier or employee talks to me in Spanish ONLY, I speak to them in English ONLY.

PS
What drives me crazy is, "Press 1 for English, press 2 for Spanish."

"GOOD JOB, thanks I'm beginning to feel better. Was thinking I stood practically alone in my QUEST to BOYCOTT these businesses"
Quark

United States

#17 Mar 4, 2011
I've also worried that the anti-immigration sentiment will be the cause for racial violence in our state (or in Texas), and I sincerely hope that our proximity to the border will allow resident to empathize with the plight of our southern neighbors.

Believe it or not, I actually see this as a bit of twisted progress. It seems all racial groups inevitably suffer a systematic prejudice. In U.S. history it was, of course, the Blacks, then later the Italians, then even the Irish (whose sole offense was Catholicism). The prejudicial shift to Latinos (and Mexicans in particular) will hopefully end once a surrogate immigrant group takes their place.

It's a shame that, as a country, we need a racial/cultural scapegoat to feel good about ourselves.

Since: Jul 10

Santa Fe, NM

#18 Mar 4, 2011
Do they pay these jackasses to leave the word "illegal" out when talking about "immigration?"

Immigration is fine. Invasion is not. Why do they refuse to represent things properly?

“I Put the "B" in ITCH!!”

Since: Jun 08

Wood-Ridge, NJ

#19 Mar 4, 2011
Quark wrote:
I've also worried that the anti-immigration sentiment will be the cause for racial violence in our state (or in Texas), and I sincerely hope that our proximity to the border will allow resident to empathize with the plight of our southern neighbors.
Believe it or not, I actually see this as a bit of twisted progress. It seems all racial groups inevitably suffer a systematic prejudice. In U.S. history it was, of course, the Blacks, then later the Italians, then even the Irish (whose sole offense was Catholicism). The prejudicial shift to Latinos (and Mexicans in particular) will hopefully end once a surrogate immigrant group takes their place.
It's a shame that, as a country, we need a racial/cultural scapegoat to feel good about ourselves.
You got it all wrong there spanky. Not one poster said they were against LEGAL immigration, only illegal immigration. Got it? And if you're not sure of the difference, just ask.
Real problems

Las Cruces, NM

#20 Mar 4, 2011
I guess if we let states make their own immigration laws, one could get a competitive advantage by accepting all the hard working entrepreneurs from other countries.
Free is free

Albuquerque, NM

#21 Mar 4, 2011
Nothing anti-immigration about it. Anti *illegal* immigration? Sure.

There is a big difference, though the Journalism majors in the MSM can't seem to distinguish the 2.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Thursday Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News IAAF issues guidelines on Russian track athletes Jul '16 PUTINs JUNKIES 4
News Uncle accused of kidnapping niece to appear in ... May '16 Dr Spek 2
News Demi Lovato conquers Anaheim with raw power (Feb '14) Apr '16 Demi Lovato 4
News U.P. chief: Employee pride matters (Sep '10) Oct '15 Terry Lauhflin 4
News El Paso abortion clinic may re-open soon (Aug '15) Aug '15 huey goins 48
News Musikfest 2015: Final weekend Top 10 (Aug '15) Aug '15 Richard Kranium 1
News Biden stresses rising income inequality (Nov '14) Nov '14 bruno 5
More from around the web