Parents voice concerns on violence in...

Parents voice concerns on violence in schools

There are 46 comments on the The Deming Headlight story from Sep 21, 2008, titled Parents voice concerns on violence in schools. In it, The Deming Headlight reports that:

There is a problem in Deming Public Schools, parents and students told the district Board of Education at its monthly meeting, Thursday, at the Emmett Shockley Administration Building, 400 Cody Road.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Deming Headlight.

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
LOL

Albuquerque, NM

#1 Sep 22, 2008
lol, nice for writting a biased article targetting mexicans. I am white, but if I was a Mexican I would sue the Headlight for writting this type of article. This is B.S. The only people who are being rascist is these people who were quoted in this newspaper, and the person who wrote this article. I am white, and I can tell you that when i was in high school I had friends who were Mexicans, and who were white, so I have no idea where these people are getting this from. People in Deming are so freaking retarded. You people make this town look bad, so why don't all of you just leave. Deming will be better off without you dumb people.
murphy

Gallup, NM

#4 Sep 22, 2008
I am white and went to school in Deming. I never had any trouble with Hispanics or Blacks and got along well with them. Wanda Pierro has no room to complain about anything. The things that you have done in your life and got away with are much worse than this. Now you know how it feels!
Border Native

Florissant, CO

#5 Sep 22, 2008
Wow, Look at all the Mexican apologists. Some even claiming to be white. Yea sure.
I guess it is pretty obvious. The white students need to start a white gang to protect themselves and then go from there.....
John Staehle

Moline, IL

#7 Sep 22, 2008
The main problem that exists in the schools is the lack of enforcement of simple codes. Dress code, banning cell phones and other electronic devices and the total lack of respect on the part of many students toward teachers and staff. I know these issues to be true as I witnessed them to an extent that I never thought possible. And the amazing thing is that most of the problems with students are at an individual level, not gangs and certainly not racial. As race is a good cop-out it does not stand up to the test in this and many other cases. Disrespect from a student does not come in the form of gang activity it comes from the up-bringing of all students, staff and teachers and most of all the parents. I taught full-time at DHS as a substitute teacher and was always assigned to the tough-case classes. Gain the respect of the students through leadership and recognition was my key to success, in fact most of the trouble-makers eventually came up to me as a teacher addressing me by my name or even as Sir! Not to say there aren't any hard cases but in my estimation there are for the most part good students influenced by the wrong instances. I firmly believe in class discipline and forming a closely knit level of cooperation between teahcer and student. Clearly this does not always occur and in my case worked about 80% of the time. My policy was that sending a student to the office was underminig the whole notion that a student is in class to learn, therefore I kept most of the problematic students in the class with me, after time, they became the most proactive students to the extent of not allowing their friends to curse or misbehave in Mr. S's classes. After two years of maintaining the highest degree of professionalism in my classes, I left the school for reasons that can be best described as no support from the administration. It appeared that my years in the Navy and in law enforcement were good enough to maintain good order in many classrooms did not matter the day I needed the backing the most. And the school district continues to place two-three page ads every school year for reasons of maintaining a staff of highly qualified teachers. The drop-out rate of the teachers rivals the student rate. Deming schools have an inherent problem, leadership starts at the top and works down, responsiblity lies in the hands of all the people in the community and their participation in the whole school system.

Since: Sep 08

Marmora, NJ

#8 Sep 22, 2008
John Staehle wrote:
The main problem that exists in the schools is the lack of enforcement of simple codes. Dress code, banning cell phones and other electronic devices and the total lack of respect on the part of many students toward teachers and staff. I know these issues to be true as I witnessed them to an extent that I never thought possible. And the amazing thing is that most of the problems with students are at an individual level, not gangs and certainly not racial. As race is a good cop-out it does not stand up to the test in this and many other cases. Disrespect from a student does not come in the form of gang activity it comes from the up-bringing of all students, staff and teachers and most of all the parents. I taught full-time at DHS as a substitute teacher and was always assigned to the tough-case classes. Gain the respect of the students through leadership and recognition was my key to success, in fact most of the trouble-makers eventually came up to me as a teacher addressing me by my name or even as Sir! Not to say there aren't any hard cases but in my estimation there are for the most part good students influenced by the wrong instances. I firmly believe in class discipline and forming a closely knit level of cooperation between teahcer and student. Clearly this does not always occur and in my case worked about 80% of the time. My policy was that sending a student to the office was underminig the whole notion that a student is in class to learn, therefore I kept most of the problematic students in the class with me, after time, they became the most proactive students to the extent of not allowing their friends to curse or misbehave in Mr. S's classes. After two years of maintaining the highest degree of professionalism in my classes, I left the school for reasons that can be best described as no support from the administration. It appeared that my years in the Navy and in law enforcement were good enough to maintain good order in many classrooms did not matter the day I needed the backing the most. And the school district continues to place two-three page ads every school year for reasons of maintaining a staff of highly qualified teachers. The drop-out rate of the teachers rivals the student rate. Deming schools have an inherent problem, leadership starts at the top and works down, responsiblity lies in the hands of all the people in the community and their participation in the whole school system.
YOU PRETTY MUCH SOME IT UP IN A NUT SHELL.
Concerned

El Paso, TX

#9 Sep 22, 2008
I am a MEXICAN/AMERICAN born and raised in Deming, my mother is MEXICAN/AMERICAN born and raised in Deming, my father is MEXICAN born and rasied in MX but came to the US legally. He is educated in Mexico and in the US and has college degrees from both. We were raised not to be predjudice my father who has worked hard all his life was sometimes treated by his co workers like crap because he was from mexico and it's sad to say these people were white. They did not understand that my father was educated and not a lazy mexican. My father taught my siblings and i that it does not matter what the outside looks like what matters is what comes from within. We have always had white, black, red, green, orange what ever color you want to call them friends. Whom were treated with respect because my father always stated you have to give respect to get respect. I strongly beieve all this racist stuff is being started by both races.I am bothered by the kids from Mexico who come to school in Deming.We are being over powered by them and it is affecting our children who belong there in the first place. I have issues with us having to bus them to our town and issues with the school system trying to get our teachers and aides to make a trip to palomas to talk to the parents. When its our tax dollars at work and their parents live in palomas with no worry. It is the parents responsibility to be responsible for their kids. I have a child in school and you bet ill pull him out if he gets bullied for his race. Something needs to be done BUT i believe the "White" kids are just as guilty as the "MEXICANS".
Concerned

El Paso, TX

#10 Sep 22, 2008
John Staehle wrote:
Now if we had more people like you it would be better. Some teachers just dont care anymore. Do you still sub?
Concerned

El Paso, TX

#11 Sep 22, 2008
John Staehle wrote:
Let me rephrase that Would you consider going back to sub? Had a blonde moment there in my first reply.
John Staehle

Moline, IL

#12 Sep 22, 2008
Concerned wrote:
<quoted text>
Let me rephrase that Would you consider going back to sub? Had a blonde moment there in my first reply.
Thank you for the compliment as I take it to be with your response. First I shall elaborate about my feelings about the school district.
With the Bachelors degree in Business Administration I now have and the experience in working with youth from all walks of life I had strongly considered continuing my career as a teacher. My background in the Navy and mostly in law enforcement did contribute to my success however the powers over me were hesitant to support my judgement and let me down on more than one occassion when the students were clearly in the wrong however no effort was made to hear my side of the problem and my choices in the matters did not count.
My zero tolerance of disrespect in the classroom was the foundation of my firm policy of equal oppurtunity for every student; "you have every oppurtunity to stay out of trouble or get into trouble in this classroom." When questioned by one student about preferential treatment due to race I stated the above quote, I never had any more problems from any student. Firm and fair treatment goes a long way and the fact that I'm of German and English heritage does'nt enter into any converstation about being of an ethnic background. When my father went to grade school in Upstate NY in the years around World War One he spoke no English and for that the other non-German students in the area would throw rocks at him, they were all White and all of European decent so don't anyone bring up race and discrimination to me! It will get you nowhere.
LAW

United States

#13 Sep 22, 2008
Concerned wrote:
I am a MEXICAN/AMERICAN born and raised in Deming, my mother is MEXICAN/AMERICAN born and raised in Deming, my father is MEXICAN born and rasied in MX but came to the US legally. He is educated in Mexico and in the US and has college degrees from both. We were raised not to be predjudice my father who has worked hard all his life was sometimes treated by his co workers like crap because he was from mexico and it's sad to say these people were white. They did not understand that my father was educated and not a lazy mexican. My father taught my siblings and i that it does not matter what the outside looks like what matters is what comes from within. We have always had white, black, red, green, orange what ever color you want to call them friends. Whom were treated with respect because my father always stated you have to give respect to get respect. I strongly beieve all this racist stuff is being started by both races.I am bothered by the kids from Mexico who come to school in Deming.We are being over powered by them and it is affecting our children who belong there in the first place. I have issues with us having to bus them to our town and issues with the school system trying to get our teachers and aides to make a trip to palomas to talk to the parents. When its our tax dollars at work and their parents live in palomas with no worry. It is the parents responsibility to be responsible for their kids. I have a child in school and you bet ill pull him out if he gets bullied for his race. Something needs to be done BUT i believe the "White" kids are just as guilty as the "MEXICANS".
Well said. I do not believe that many are truly racist. I have made poorly chosen comments on the race of another, used racial remarks as jokes and use race, at times, as a way of defining those whom I don't like. Shame on me and I pray that I have never hurt the ones I like or even love.
I to have friends who are black, hispanic, white and native american and have never shunned a person because of race or skin color. I do not wish harm or illness on a person because of his skin color. A person's attitude directs my attitude towards them. There may not have been a racial reason behind this attack, but comments made prior to and during the attack lead many to believe it was.
Many who were schooled here become bias of an entire race, due to the feelings of parents at home who are tired of supporting a failed political agenda of not failing the children of another country (Mexico) while our children are left with secondary educations.
I could not imagine going to do anything that required me to be harassed and/or attacked when I got there. If Harveylee was hit everyday she went to school how long would she take it before violence begat violence.

“What's a chopper, Butch?”

Since: May 08

Deming, N.M.

#14 Sep 22, 2008
Am I to assume from this article that the attackers are of Mexican descent?
Being a graduate of DHS '70, I know a solution.

Deming, N.M.

#15 Sep 22, 2008
A GREAT BIG Group Hug!
Old gringo

Minneapolis, MN

#16 Sep 22, 2008
What are these bullys being taught at home? Are the parents any different, I doubt it.
Rick

Burkburnett, TX

#17 Sep 22, 2008
How about a new school, would that fix the problem ? You can't blame the punks..they are just following the lead of the older crooks who has ran Deming for soooo long.
Diana Peron ex student

La Luz, NM

#18 Sep 22, 2008
Someday there's going to be another Virgina Tech at DHS and it could have been prevented if they did something now. Install metal detectors or actully pay attention to the cameras because it's just gonna keep on happening.

Deming, N.M.

#19 Sep 22, 2008
Is one of the culprits named Jaime Johnson?
I thought so!
Johan Holtz

Sacramento, CA

#20 Sep 22, 2008
Bad stuff, hate, racial tension, sounds like New York City, or L.A., lo and behold Deming New Mexico, how did it get here?
It always starts at home, a word here, a word there, the kids pick it up, and before you know it, your worldis front page news.
I find it sad, scary, and wonder where it will end....
VN Vet

Albuquerque, NM

#21 Sep 22, 2008
Johan Holtz wrote:
Bad stuff, hate, racial tension, sounds like New York City, or L.A., lo and behold Deming New Mexico, how did it get here?
It always starts at home, a word here, a word there, the kids pick it up, and before you know it, your worldis front page news.
I find it sad, scary, and wonder where it will end....
DRUGS! DRUGS! DRUGS!
kcee74

Las Vegas, NV

#23 Sep 22, 2008
It all comes down to respect.
It has to be earned.
You have to give it to get it.
Thanks but no Thanks

United States

#25 Sep 22, 2008
Disgusting! David McSherry you are a fraud! In answer to your stupid comment, Why don't we do this?: First, let us accept your immediate resignation. Second, let us fire the wasteful and ineffective Harvilee Moore. Finally, let us a community say NO NO NO to Rueben Torres and those who think like he does!

Are we going to wait until somebody is killed? Are we going to wait until we have a border Columbine?

Parents, it is time to pull your children until REAL leadership is brought on board. Former teachers who are overpaid and incompetent have your children's lives in their hands.

Do you feel safe allowing these people control over your children?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Thursday Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News IAAF issues guidelines on Russian track athletes Thu PUTINs JUNKIES 1
News Uncle accused of kidnapping niece to appear in ... May '16 Dr Spek 2
News Demi Lovato conquers Anaheim with raw power (Feb '14) Apr '16 Demi Lovato 4
News U.P. chief: Employee pride matters (Sep '10) Oct '15 Terry Lauhflin 4
News El Paso abortion clinic may re-open soon (Aug '15) Aug '15 huey goins 48
News Musikfest 2015: Final weekend Top 10 (Aug '15) Aug '15 Richard Kranium 1
News Biden stresses rising income inequality (Nov '14) Nov '14 bruno 5
More from around the web