Method Man: Hip-hop was best in 90s

Method Man: Hip-hop was best in 90s

There are 12 comments on the Kidderminster Shuttle story from Aug 20, 2008, titled Method Man: Hip-hop was best in 90s. In it, Kidderminster Shuttle reports that:

After being in the industry for 15 years, Method Man isn't too pleased with the music scene today.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Kidderminster Shuttle.

colorqueen22

Dallas, TX

#1 Aug 21, 2008
Method Man is right. Ok, there are some people who are representing hip hop the way it's supposed to, but the newest people coming can't stand a chance to at least half of the 90's emcees including Method Man.
RLL

Anchorage, AK

#2 Aug 23, 2008
Anyone who knows rap knows that it waz at its prime in tha 90's. Look who came out of tha 90's. Naughty by Nature, 2pac, Biggie, Nas, Snoop, Bone Thugs, Yukmouth, Brotha Lynch, Spice 1, Scarface, OutKast, Juve, Master P, Dre and Cube did lots of solo work in tha 90's, Cypress Hill, Coolio, Eminem, Royce, Mobb Deep, DMX, Wu-Tang, Nas, Redman, and Big L. Man tha 90's waz great.
killah beee

UK

#3 Oct 16, 2008
man rap is wack these days, flo rida, lil wayne.......... if this is all we have to offer in hip hop rap they might as well scrap the genre now!! wu tang forever!!!!

Since: Jul 08

United States

#4 Nov 3, 2008
i agree killah beee.. *sigh*
michael

Springfield, PA

#5 Nov 3, 2008
in the 90s hip hop was coming out of everywhere even my home state from people like queen latifah, and groups like naughty by nature and lords of the underground the 90's style of hip hop was great the beats werent all bassed up and they were alot more simple but the lyrics were great
if you dont know Lords of the Underground deff check them out,
Bean26

United States

#6 Nov 3, 2008
RLL wrote:
Anyone who knows rap knows that it waz at its prime in tha 90's. Look who came out of tha 90's. Naughty by Nature, 2pac, Biggie, Nas, Snoop, Bone Thugs, Yukmouth, Brotha Lynch, Spice 1, Scarface, OutKast, Juve, Master P, Dre and Cube did lots of solo work in tha 90's, Cypress Hill, Coolio, Eminem, Royce, Mobb Deep, DMX, Wu-Tang, Nas, Redman, and Big L. Man tha 90's waz great.
I agree 100%
DEL

Burbank, CA

#7 Nov 4, 2008
LORDS OF THE UNDERGROUND ARE DOPE...ITS ALL ABOUT ULTRAMAGNETIC MC'S...........Chief ROCKA'
Disgruntled

Lowell, MA

#8 Nov 4, 2008
All about the 90s
Chris

United States

#9 Nov 17, 2008
What about 80s?Public Enemy,Nwa,Rakim,Krs-1,big daddy kane,kool g rap, you gotta think about them.
But I would still say the 90s were my favorite era
ubeillin

Land O Lakes, FL

#10 Dec 29, 2008
Chris wrote:
What about 80s?Public Enemy,Nwa,Rakim,Krs-1,big daddy kane,kool g rap, you gotta think about them.
But I would still say the 90s were my favorite era
I agree, late 80's was also fantastic. I call the peak & golden era of hip-hop from 1988-1994. Anything after that was on a downward slide.
Aside from the skills & its all about marketing now. There is one big factor missing that no one ever wants to talk about: Emotion, anger. Grabbing the mic & spitting fire while the veins are coming out of your neck. beats so aggressive & raw you couldnt help but rock your head. Now all these rappers today are more interested in how they rock a club & having money & flaunting it. Man, clowns like TI, Lil' Wayne, young Joc & whoever else wouldnt stand a chance 15 years ago. And if you dont think so, Outkast won best new artist in 1994, which in itself is ridiculous since Nas - Illmatic came out in 1994. But no one even noticed or cared because of all the great rap that was coming out of LA, San Fran, NY, NJ. Southern rapped has ruined it now. I am with Method Man 100%. Dudes like Wu Tang brought it, raw beats, fresh aggressive lyrics. Now everybody is way too soft. NWA, Wu Tang Clan, Public Enemy, B.I.G., now thats hip-hop.

Since: Dec 07

San Diego

#11 Dec 29, 2008
hes right, theres a countless number of mcs that came out in the 90s, who do we have from this era? the game? hes average, lupe fiasco. thats about it except for some underground
Wu Tang Films

Edinburgh, UK

#12 Feb 1, 2009
Meth keeps it real

www.wutangfilms.com

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

The Wu-Tang Clan Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Bitter Pill Turing Pharma Ceo Shkreli arrested ... (Dec '15) Jul 5 jeff halper for prez 4
News Martin Shkreli arrested by FBI on securities fr... (Dec '15) Feb '16 solidarity 10
News 50 Cent's Net Worth In 2015: $155 Million (May '15) May '15 KnutesNiche 1
News The Forbes Five: Hip-Hop's Wealthiest Artists 2015 (May '15) May '15 The Wonder of You 1
News Forbes Five Hip-Hop Rich List 2015: Preview & C... (May '15) May '15 Lady Madonna 3
News Texas Showdown Tattoo & Music Festival offers a... (Jul '14) Jul '14 Becky Martinez 2
News How rap reveals trends in DRUGS: Graphs show ho... (May '14) May '14 DeathChamberzMusic 3
More from around the web