Agricultural Reserve farms crowded ou...

Agricultural Reserve farms crowded out by new luxury estates --...

There are 18 comments on the SouthFlorida.com story from Aug 1, 2007, titled Agricultural Reserve farms crowded out by new luxury estates --.... In it, SouthFlorida.com reports that:

The Country Peanut store and gas station sits next to the future site of a megaplex movie theater.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at SouthFlorida.com.

Wheeler dealers

United States

#1 Aug 2, 2007
This is how the County spent tax payers' money for land to be put in the reserve. We, the VOTERS approved spending $100 million to BUY and PRESERVE agricultural land.

SFWM purchased land in the reserve from PBC, then turned around and SOLD it to developers along with ADDITIONAL developer rights that allow for MORE housing.

SFWM has screwed the county and local taxpayers. Remember Masilotti was wheeling and dealing land that SFWM was interested in.

SFWM is NOT protecting the county from further development. They are actually buying and selling land (with OUR tax payer money) to developers.

Acosta needs to check SFWM and see if there are people- developers, land designers, agents, commissioners, aides, that are negotiating away the rural landscape of this county for the betterment of their pocketbooks.

Since: Feb 07

Palm Beach Gardens, FL

#2 Aug 2, 2007
I don't understand why they voted to make the Ag Reserve in the first place. Looking back, it sounds like a waste of money, especially for an area that could have otherwise solved problems such as low-income and work-force housing, much like the farm-turned-suburban developments in West Boca and west Broward. Now that the Ag Reserve is there, not only does that prevent any development potential for workforce housing, but it's is giving way to more unneeded, unwanted ultra luxury mansions. It's a very crooked system.
Fomer Floridian

United States

#3 Aug 2, 2007
South Florida, once a mostly rural area with hundreds of farms and ranches, has turned into an eastern version of Los Angeles, complete with traffic nightmares, gang problems and soaring costs, and this situation just underlines that the trend is going to continue.
Maybe they should remind the dwindling contingent of farmers, ranchers and open-space advocates that the last one out should turn off the lights.
skippy

Boca Raton, FL

#4 Aug 2, 2007
Conservation, Florida style :
" The Ag Reserve Master Plan requires builders to put aside a percentage of their development site for preservation, although it allows the protected land to be somewhere else on the reserve sometimes in land already preserved. "
Absolutely sickening.
Joseph

United States

#6 Aug 2, 2007
Yes I agree we all get what we deserve for allowing these villians into office to begin with. They have no real interest in preserving what is left of South Florida. All the governments see is more tax dollars. South florida was such a great place to live. Ever since the mass influx of imigrants in the early 80's life here has gone down hill. Now there is no stopping.
Simple Solution

Potomac, MD

#7 Aug 2, 2007
As we need is the Sun-Sentinel to publish some more real estate bashing stories on the front page of their Sunday edition. They can dig up a few more foreclosure consultants and masquerade them as real estate experts whose always negative predictions become self-full-filling prophecies to scare away homebuyers! Then no one will buy a house in the ag reserve areas. Another South Florida problem solved by the Sun-Sentinel!!

Since: Apr 07

United States

#8 Aug 2, 2007
I'm an advocate for growth, but I have sympathy for the farmers. We have to face the fact that Palm Beach County is growing, and like someone said earlier, that it was a mistake for voting for the Ag Reserve. If the farmers sold the land, you can't go back on your decision. It is preventing growth outwest, and will in turn, have a negative effect. South Florida is no longer a bunch of farms, lets grow up and move on!
Native Floridian

United States

#9 Aug 2, 2007
Works for me! I would love see all these people go back to where they came from. I'll probaly loose my house eitherway. No employment for illegals would be a good start. They can't do much anyways. I've notice their tendency to milk the system, or should I say the system allows them to milk the middle class. There will be no jobs here without real estate. Milk, milk, milk!
Boca Bites

Fort Lauderdale, FL

#10 Aug 2, 2007
Canyon Lakes? In Boynton? Where's the canyon? Is it between trash mountains?
buduardo

Boca Raton, FL

#11 Aug 2, 2007
I have lived in west boca for over 20 years.... the county commision sold us a bill of goods on the ag reserve area.... they are just tools of the developers, consistently self serving liars.... just like our national politicos, liars one and all... my only regret, that I didn't get in early so I could have had the money to move to North Carolina
Cadoodle

Boca Raton, FL

#12 Aug 2, 2007
I lived in Boynton in the Ag Reserve for a few years. The whole premise of it was hogwash (had to use an AgReserve term)... what it was meant for just gets wiped away with the swish of a pen during the Commission meetings. What happens is that - on a pick and chose item - they "use" that as an excuse to bury mom & pop type businesses, and yet, let big business do as they please. Example: There was the Andean Furniture store on Boynton Beach Blvd. Operated all throughout the time Boynton Beach west of the Tpke was being built. Suffered thru it - because the long process hurt their business terribly. Then, just as Boynton Beach Blvd. was completed, some jerk in one of those "over-55" condo commando units on Lyons Road (also built over AgReserve property) complained, and the county closed the Andean Furniture store using the Ag Reserve excuse. Fast forward a few months, and sure enough, Target opened in the Ag Rserve on Lantana and 441, and Canyon Lakes got the go-ahead to build a new shopping center (mixed use, shops, townhomes, etc) right in the Ag Reserve as well. Too bad for the Andean Furniture folks... guess they sold the wrong stuff for the complainant in Venetian Isles, huh?? It's so "pick and chose" that it's just a riot watching all the positioning on the issue. If you're gonna let them build- let 'em ALL build; it smacks of prejudice to pick and choose, doesn't it......
Alas

United States

#13 Aug 2, 2007
buduardo wrote:
I have lived in west boca for over 20 years.... the county commision sold us a bill of goods on the ag reserve area.... they are just tools of the developers, consistently self serving liars.... just like our national politicos, liars one and all... my only regret, that I didn't get in early so I could have had the money to move to North Carolina
Absolutely correct! We miss the boat.
Clean Water

Hollywood, FL

#14 Aug 2, 2007
The Florida way of doing business -- screw the tax payers and reward the developers.

Another sham and another slap in the face.

Metro 561-- "Grow up and move on"
Maybe you like the black top, strip malls and rows of housing, but a lot of us would like to see Florida survive! There's a time when enough is enough. Talk about greed.
Poor retired taxpayer

United States

#15 Aug 2, 2007
This is typical government hogwash. They set a side the land only to lower the property taxes for their developer friends and family. Then when the time is right they help re-zone and reap the profits and like always no accountability. Florida is growing way to fast and the east side blight needs to be cleaned up. Time to stop paying taxes an shoot the first son of bitch that steps foot on our property. I want them to watch what I can do on my way out! I'm sick and tired of the B.S.
Cant go home again

Auburn, AL

#16 Aug 2, 2007
Sorry you could not escape in time. Moved to Western NC 2 years ago and don't regret it. I watched as PB and Broward got paved over since 1970 and came to the realization that it wasn't the Florida I grew up in or enjoyed anymore. The attitude has been build it and they will come. They did after the developers overbuilt with the blessing of government. S Fla has been loved to death.
buduardo wrote:
jane

United States

#17 Aug 2, 2007
Of course, Mr Portnoy, you believe "the execution was perfect". These developments only exacerbate the destruction of the fragile Florida ecosystem. For this, Mr Portnoy, you should be executed.
Not to mention the cement ghettos are ugly, unimaginative and a glut on the rest of the county.
I heard there is a lot of undeveloped land in Alaska. Since you are encouraging global warming it would be a good investment.
Dumb idea club

Fort Lauderdale, FL

#18 Aug 2, 2007
These bastards need to be hung G.L Homes are the worst and they are being helped every day by the county commissioners.When we got duped into the 100 Million dollar Ag Bill they(the commissioners) gave 40 million to Billy Bowman right off the top this is the same guy who had the land over in the Bahamas that Masilotti was buying and all the commissioners went to visit,these guys are true scum and should all share the same cell in club fed........
AliceAlek

Chicago, IL

#19 Aug 3, 2007
It is a shame that you have printed a terribly misleading photo to accompany an otherwise interesting and informative article. The article clearly states, "The master plan called for preserving farmland west of U.S. 441 and in a chunk between Boynton Beach Boulevard and West Atlantic Avenue." The photo of the new development, Tivoli Isles, is shown with US 441 on the RIGHT edge of the photo, which would imply that the development is WEST of the road. But the picture was taken facing south; Tivoli Isles is on the NORTHEAST corner of Atlantic Avenue and US 441, and does not contradict the master plan.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

The Tractors Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Tractors ready to kick up some dust at Harrells... (Jun '12) Jun '12 Bullwhip 1
News Tractors for Votes (Jun '12) Jun '12 lambroni ardziv 1
News Tractors Malaysia Opens Cat Rental Branch (Dec '11) Dec '11 bayonet gajahmada 1
News Missouri candidates plant rural roots in TV ads (Aug '08) Aug '08 Gotta Say 2
News Huber family reunion and tractor show a success (Jul '07) Jul '07 ashley huber 1
News How Old?! Actor Frank Langella is 65. Singer-gu... Mar '06 tata 3
More from around the web