Patter from Dylan? It ain't him, babe

Patter from Dylan? It ain't him, babe

There are 13 comments on the Inland Valley Daily Bulletin story from Aug 21, 2010, titled Patter from Dylan? It ain't him, babe. In it, Inland Valley Daily Bulletin reports that:

"You're the best audience, I mean that. Give yourselves a hand. Now are you ready to folk-rock and roll?!" Just kidding.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Inland Valley Daily Bulletin.

Rob

Ireland

#1 Aug 22, 2010
A rare decent review of a Bob Dylan concert, thank you.
marge

Claremont, CA

#2 Aug 22, 2010
I only wanted to go to see John Mellencamp, but by the time I looked up the date, I'd missed the concert. Too bad because the rest of their offerings for the short term are pretty dire.
Jim

Diamond Bar, CA

#3 Aug 22, 2010
Really,David? Melville?
But what if you couldn't make out Melville's words?

I saw Dylan a couple years ago and if nothing else, literally nothing else, I can at least say I saw Dylan live...and that's something I can check off my list and will value, along with prior memories of his better days. With any luck, time and selective memory will likely polish the concert memory.
diana

Lagrangeville, NY

#4 Aug 22, 2010
Nice review- commentary right on target-(so direct)

I rarely get to see Bob-(my iomaginary boyfriend for 40 some odd years) but lately I've been watching some booted concerts and man- I just can't stop smiling while I watch him.
I love his voice now- and yes- sometimes its a little difficult to make out the lines- but its interesting that sometimes the lines are so clearly enunciated-
Just as sometimes during a song the gravel lets up for a line or two and you hear a tenderness/sweetness in his voice.
I really don't get when people say he can't sing- you may not like his voice but the man definitely can sing.

To me- just beimng able to be at a live concert with Bob is worth whatever- If I can't make out all his lyrics- well, the music is good- but better still is experiencing an artist continually being born, unfolding, individuating- making his journey, exploring-
uhhhh- should I go on? LOL

As far as not getting the concert I want- well, to paraphrase Dylan from Brownsville Girl

Well, I'm standing in line in the rain to see a concert starring Bob Dylan
Yeah, but you know its not the one I had in mind
He's got a new one out now. I don't even know what its about
But I'll see him in anything so I'll stand in line.
Celtic Lass

Rowland Heights, CA

#5 Aug 22, 2010
Oh David...I am soooo envious! I was not able to go and swim in the ocean that is Bob Dylan ;-) Hopefully, next time.

Loved your article and descriptions; your right, Bob doesn't have a lot to say at his show, but I don't need it...he tells me everything I want to hear in his songs.
mountain pass

Rancho Cucamonga, CA

#6 Aug 22, 2010
Great article Mr. Allen. I was up in the sky bar right next to the sky boxes. Concert was fabulous. I enjoyed every minute. Especially noticed with binoculars Dylan's hand and arm gestures. The uplight throwing a giant silhouette of Bob on the backdrop. Also the amazing light show shining on the stage and audience. The eye, the velvet curtain, and the curtain with millions of stars.....I spent the next two days listening to all the Dylan I have. Drove up to the mountains amazed at lyrics like "I was born here and I'll die here, against my will." So glad I went! By the way the jackasses in the sky boxes finally stopped with all the talking and seemed riveted by the performance.
gidget67

Ontario, CA

#7 Aug 22, 2010
Great article, have to especially agree with Diana and Mountain pass. We wanted to take our camera but then I read the arena rules that they had to be 3-1/2" in length and not professional, we have a Nikon D50 which didn't meet what they said you could bring. But once inside, there was some blonde in a ponytail with a pro Cannon and telephoto lenses using no flash just longer exposure to get the shots, and my husband was at tad - no alot pissed. We appreciate you "blurry Pics" on your blog.
It was an honor just to be in the same room with Bob! We have waited since 1963!
CaptAmerica

Lake Memphremagog, VT

#8 Aug 22, 2010
It's OK if he has some idiosyncrasies, THE poet laureate of the '60s is entitled to some.
mountain pass

Rancho Cucamonga, CA

#9 Aug 22, 2010
By the way Mr.Allen -I loved that you noticed the Al Kooper part.
Are you single?
Bill Floyd

Temecula, CA

#10 Aug 22, 2010
Bob Dylan Sucked at that concert in Ontario! Sure I'm a John Mellencamp fan and that's who I basically went to see but I had decent seats (11th row) and Dylan sounded like SHIT! Mellencamp blew his ASS out of the water but that's what I expected. I would never go to see Dylan again. I'm glad I did because he is or was a legend, but he is nothing but a mere shell of himself!!! As for Johnny he stole the show definately but let's get real....what did you really expect?
Jaforte

Adelanto, CA

#11 Aug 23, 2010
I totaly agree. Those of us who have grown with Bob Dylan ( whom I believe to be more Dylaneque,Thomas, than Bryron) from the early sixties have evolved through his music , aged with his indifference to critics and still remain true to his transformation as artist, sage, icon and philosopher. Live on Mr. Dylan. There will never be another like you.
hot tamale

Redlands, CA

#12 Aug 23, 2010
Bill Floyd wrote:
Bob Dylan Sucked at that concert in Ontario! Sure I'm a John Mellencamp fan and that's who I basically went to see but I had decent seats (11th row) and Dylan sounded like ****! Mellencamp blew his **** out of the water but that's what I expected. I would never go to see Dylan again. I'm glad I did because he is or was a legend, but he is nothing but a mere shell of himself!!! As for Johnny he stole the show definately but let's get real....what did you really expect?
definitely have to agree 100%!
2 cents

Brooklyn, NY

#14 Aug 24, 2010
First of all CBBA is an awesome venue easy in, great staff, great seats, great drinks, and easy out!!! Mellencamp rocked the house! The violinist he has with him is pure joy to listen too and his son coming out was a real treat as well. Dylan has changed his songs up so much that you almost don't recognize 95% of them till you hear the hook and go wow that's what song this is... lol. He opened great and it was downhill from there he never got anywhere near the crowd and you could never see anything except his chin behind his hat. I know the guy is a legend and is getting old but I really expected more of a show from him. Sorry to say but we left early. 8-9 minutes per song and not recognizing 95% of it was just plain annoying and got old after 6 or 7 songs. Maybe I'll buy one of his paintings I hear they are nice and I will still recognize it 20 years from now... lol. I would recommend this event to a friend If they wanted to see Mellencamp ROCK!! and afterward try to guess what song Dylan is playing and maybe take bets... haha!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

The Stone Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Bob Dylan's 'The Basement Tapes Complete: The B... (Nov '14) Jan '16 badboyxyz 2
News Like a Rolling Stone (Feb '14) Feb '14 4 Leo Sach 1
News Stone Thoreaus musicians inspired by acoustic i... (Jul '13) Jul '13 Anonymous 1
News Bob Dylan makes historic Vietnam live debut (Apr '11) Mar '13 jdenny 7
News Bob Dylan's Jacket Will Live at the Smithsonian (Feb '12) Apr '12 Tenacious D - The... 4
News Like A Rolling Stone - Bob Dylan (Mar '11) Mar '11 Sold His Soul 2 t... 1
News Bob Dylan - Bob Dylan Granted Permission to Pla... (Mar '11) Mar '11 Sold His Soul 2 t... 1
More from around the web