Speak Out: Don't keep the Sneetch from Goose Rocks Beach

Jul 18, 2009 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: York Weekly

"But, because they had stars, all the Star-Belly Sneetches Would brag, 'We're the best kind of Sneetch on the beaches.' With their snoots in the air, they would sniff and they'd snort, 'We'll have nothing to do with the Plain-Belly sort!' - From "The Sneetches," by Dr.

Comments
1 - 1 of 1 Comments Last updated Jul 20, 2009
Mic Harris

Gardiner, ME

#1 Jul 20, 2009
Nicely written, and Dana captures the essence of life at Goose Rocks Beach as it has historically existed for residents and visitors alike.

It is a shame that legal action has been threatened to completely change the flavor of a wonderful beach community.

Yesterday, July 19th, was a perfect example of the combination of happy families enjoying the best beach in Maine, without the spectre of No Trespassing signs being posted over the majority of the beach, which is as this "Committee" would have it. They would like you non-owners to please keep yourself to a paltry 2 1/2 football fields of beach, unless of course you get written permission from oceanfront owners.

As a year round resident for over 18 years, I've been told that this challenge to a century of enjoyment won't affect locals, and that the current ocean front property owners would gladly provide permission to folks that have been using the beach for years.

To that I'd ask of the Committee of the "We got ours", what happens if your grandkids decide not to let my grandkids on their beach?

Goose Rocks and Maine, for those of you new to owning property at the beach, has been a special place because of the spirit of community, and not a place where elitest boundries have existed. Go buy a place in Hilton Head or a gated community if you crave solitude, but please don't deny a gift like yesterday to the families and friends that gathered, played and enjoyed Goose Rocks Beach, as they have for decades.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

The Sneetches Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Message to students -- Bias hurts (Jun '13) Jun '13 equalityboy81 1
Long Trail School honors 15 - The Manchester Jo... (Jun '11) Jun '11 Blim 3
Seabrook Elementary School notebook (Mar '10) Mar '10 very interesting 9
Life's lessons can be Seussilicious -- Morton A... (Apr '08) Apr '08 MRB 1
Nashoba Class of 2007 moves on (Jul '07) Jul '07 Dave 1
•••
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••

The Sneetches People Search