two Versions of NEW SLANG

two Versions of NEW SLANG

Posted in the The Shins Forum

Nik from Freiburg

Germany

#1 Sep 25, 2008
Hi everybody,

since couldnīt find the needed information anywhere, i`m trying it this way.

There seem to be two studio versions of the song NEW SLANG.
The common one is on the album "oh, inverted world". The other one, that I`m talking about is sung on a lower, deeper tune and is a bit slower (see
and compare with the original version http://www.youtube.com/watch... )

Does anybody have an idea when and where this version was recorded, if it was released and why nobody seems to know about it?

Thanx for helping me on my quest,

Nik
Pittsburgh guy

Pittsburgh, PA

#2 Jul 16, 2010
You can find it on the soundtrack for the movie Garden state.I have been wondering the samething myself.I like the the version that is 2 steps down.Its deeper.
isabel

Coquitlam, Canada

#3 Dec 6, 2011
thank you so much i thought i was hearing things
TheotherJones

Mankato, MN

#4 Jan 14, 2012
Thanks for confirming this. I had the more downbeat version since college but could never find it again. I wondered if there was just a quirk in the recording/transfer, but I swore he emphasized different words.

Anyway, that one has always been my favorite, so now I need to go doublecheck the soundtrack.
TheotherJones

Mankato, MN

#5 Jan 14, 2012
Also, I just found out that the Vitamin String Quartet did a version of New Slang. Worth tracking down.
TheotherJones

Mankato, MN

#6 Jan 14, 2012
Well, I just checked the Garden State soundtrack on iTunes and another source, and "New Slang" is the same there as the album. All I can figure is that the 7 inch single was different (can't find a version to compare), or that they re-recorded and made this version for Garden State but the other was released on the soundtrack.

If anyone can clear this up/has a high quality file I'd appreciate it. Mine's at 128.

This is my white whale.
Sid

Hyderabad, India

#7 Feb 26, 2013
Apparently its from 'Know your onions' single or something ...

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

The Shins Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
looking for the name of a Shins song (Oct '13) Oct '13 greg 1
News 'Portlandia' episode 5: Reviews and your reactions (Mar '11) Aug '13 Dr Heinrichs 3
News Jessica Dobson's Top iTunes Songs Include Her O... (Nov '12) Nov '12 tigger31086 1
News Record Store Day's New Black Friday Vinyl to In... (Oct '12) Oct '12 tigger31086 1
News Quick Hits: One Direction, HELLYEAH, No Doubt, ... (Oct '12) Oct '12 Kaylee 1
Volunteer at Bonnaroo! (May '12) May '12 CleanViber 1
The Shins On The Cover Of MAGNET Magazine (Mar '12) Mar '12 MAGNET 1
More from around the web