Gospel Today pulled from shelves for ...

Gospel Today pulled from shelves for advocating women pastors

There are 11 comments on the The Morning Call story from Sep 27, 2008, titled Gospel Today pulled from shelves for advocating women pastors. In it, The Morning Call reports that:

What was supposed to be an honor -- a cover story about a group of successful women pastors -- has instead been tarnished for a Durham non-denominational church leader.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Morning Call.

Don Schenk

Allentown, PA

#1 Sep 27, 2008
So the big story is that the Southern Baptist convention ordered a magazine whose cover story attacked a policy of the Southern Baptist Convention removed from the shelves of its bookstores?

Why?
Henry

United States

#2 Sep 27, 2008
Women can do anything they like in the Left Hand Kingdom, but in the Right Hand Kingdom of God, Men are to be Pastors or Preists.
Mary

United States

#3 Sep 29, 2008
Christianity is supposed to be the religion that includes both men and women praying to one God. When did we become divided just because of our gender?

“Think”

Since: Mar 07

Chesapeake, VA

#4 Sep 30, 2008
Henry wrote:
Women can do anything they like in the Left Hand Kingdom, but in the Right Hand Kingdom of God, Men are to be Pastors or Preists.
Maybe some worship an ambidextrous God, Henry.
Don Schenk

Allentown, PA

#5 Sep 30, 2008
Mary wrote:
Christianity is supposed to be the religion that includes both men and women praying to one God. When did we become divided just because of our gender?
In the first century A.D.(See 1 Timothy 9-15.)
To the Catholics, the Orthodox, and all other Christians who see the pastor as the stand-in for Christ at the communion service--in other words, the overwhelming majority of the world's Christians--God made us male and female and so the pastor, as the stand-in for Christ, has to be male.
Not that women can't teach or hold positions of authority.(Look at Blessed Mother Teresa, the late Calcutta nun, and Mother Angelica, the foundress of the cable network EWTN.)
This may ofend the "Gay/Lesbian/Bisexual/Tra nsgendered" crowd, but what else is new?
Mary

United States

#6 Sep 30, 2008
Don Schenk wrote:
<quoted text>
In the first century A.D.(See 1 Timothy 9-15.)
To the Catholics, the Orthodox, and all other Christians who see the pastor as the stand-in for Christ at the communion service--in other words, the overwhelming majority of the world's Christians--God made us male and female and so the pastor, as the stand-in for Christ, has to be male.
Not that women can't teach or hold positions of authority.(Look at Blessed Mother Teresa, the late Calcutta nun, and Mother Angelica, the foundress of the cable network EWTN.)
This may ofend the "Gay/Lesbian/Bisexual/Tra nsgendered" crowd, but what else is new?
Thanks! And agreed that it offends gays and lesbians. They have been bashing me about not understanding (not agreeing with them) on civil marriages versus religious marriages on another post.
wow

Salfordville, PA

#7 Sep 30, 2008
Everyone would be so much happier in this world if everyone would live their lives to the fullest extent of what they think life should be and not be brainwashed by religion. Religion can be so hypocritical! People - live your life and don't fall into the cult ways of religion.
SooBad

Bangor, PA

#8 Sep 30, 2008
The Pastor is the shepherd of the flock in Christianity called by God - not a stand in God
Mary

United States

#9 Oct 1, 2008
SooBad wrote:
The Pastor is the shepherd of the flock in Christianity called by God - not a stand in God
Exactly, my pastor has been helping me to understand and think more about what the Bible is telling me. He doesn't 'preach' to me. Nor does he believe he is a stand in God. So I agree with what you are saying.
check it out

Emmaus, PA

#10 Oct 1, 2008
When God created man She was only joking!!
Don Schenk

Allentown, PA

#11 Oct 1, 2008
Mary wrote:
<quoted text>
Exactly, my pastor has been helping me to understand and think more about what the Bible is telling me. He doesn't 'preach' to me. Nor does he believe he is a stand in God. So I agree with what you are saying.
Mother Angelica has a new book about understnding the Bible coming out. But she doesn't preside at the Masses at her monastery, because the Catholic (and Orthodox, etc.) understanding of the Eucharist is that it is the last Supper eternally present, not just another Bible study.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

The River Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Brit producer of gay play in Uganda held in jail (Sep '12) Sep '12 snyper 3
News Sudan is more progressive than Malaysia (Jan '11) Jan '11 JoKem 16
News The "Red River" flows; exclusive pics and video... (Jan '11) Jan '11 Beer Junkie 1
News when will the media pick up on distortion of hi... (May '10) May '10 Cruella 50
News T-Mobile gets OK to install antennas (Mar '10) Mar '10 R Silverstein 1
News Planning commission T-Mobile gets OK to install... (Mar '10) Mar '10 Memo 4
News Movie shot along banks of Spring River (Jul '08) Mar '10 stewart 46
More from around the web