Nostalgia comes alive in `Lutz Radio Hour'

There are 4 comments on the Dec 9, 2009, Press-Telegram story titled Nostalgia comes alive in `Lutz Radio Hour'. In it, Press-Telegram reports that:

Radio's waning heyday - a time when the broadcast medium linked people to the world - comes alive in "Lutz Radio Hour." The play, by Alex Golson and the OCC Repertory Theatre Company of Orange Coast College, is being staged at the Long Beach Playhouse Mainstage Theatre through Dec.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Press-Telegram.

Denzel Washington

United States

#1 Dec 12, 2009
The show is fairly amusing with the sound effects and the characters are done very well, but the pacing and direction is just insane. The second act devolves into a mish mash of total chaos with actors running all over the stage throwing papers in the air and even sitting in the audience and talking to the patrons while other actors are saying their lines. This isn't theater, it's just a crowd scene. Although the actors give it their best shots, the direction makes the total story line ridiculous and spoils some otherwise excellent performances.
worst review ever

Wilmington, CA

#2 Dec 12, 2009
This is the worst review ever. The reader can't tell if the reviewer likes it or not. Why make the reader guess? I assume Segura spent an hour or so at the show, and this stilted missive is the best he can come up with?
Was he actually in the audience? What is the point of writing this slop? Give the theater review job to someone competent, with a point of view.
This stinks.
worst review ever

Wilmington, CA

#3 Dec 12, 2009
Denzel Washington wrote:
The show is fairly amusing with the sound effects and the characters are done very well, but the pacing and direction is just insane. The second act devolves into a mish mash of total chaos with actors running all over the stage throwing papers in the air and even sitting in the audience and talking to the patrons while other actors are saying their lines. This isn't theater, it's just a crowd scene. Although the actors give it their best shots, the direction makes the total story line ridiculous and spoils some otherwise excellent performances.
Thanks for the review. You completed what Segura found too creatively taxing to accomplish.
Sosorry Iwent

Long Beach, CA

#4 Dec 26, 2009
I took my 80 year old father to this on opening night thinking it would be fun and nostalgic for him. We were both horrified at the amateurish production, considering the good experiences we've had at the Playhouse in the past. I suppose the director was attempting slapstick but I would rather watch Larry hit Moe 100 times in a row than this drivel. I wanted to hit the director. There were two or three good acting jobs, but they could not overcome the poor writing and direction. To escape the pain, we probably should have just left, but opted for falling asleep instead. ps to the Playhouse...I want my money back!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

The Radios Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Blog Log for Dec. 16 (Dec '13) Dec '13 JB smith 1
News System of a Down: We'd Re-Form For Classic G'NR (Oct '08) Sep '13 TheAfroHedgehog 3
News Radio's 'This American Life' retracts story abo... (Mar '12) Apr '12 Sean 2
News Radio's 'This American Life' retracts Apple story (Apr '12) Apr '12 may2285 1
News Nightline goes inside Pandora's box (Apr '10) Apr '10 Sol 1
News Radio's a.m. hosts lead ratings charge (Mar '07) Mar '09 Blogger Citizen X 43
News Jack's on top - Features (Jan '09) Jan '09 Dave 1
More from around the web