One man's junk is another man's treasure

The U.S. Constitution grants us the right to "Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Happiness." The proposed county ordinance is denying many around the county constitutional rights. Full Story
First Prev
of 7
Next Last
classic

Albuquerque, NM

#1 Sep 17, 2010
I agree completely. Junk is one thing but it is private property and the constitution protects our right to privacy, especially on our property.
My entire family loves antiques,,.. is this junk? to the pompous fool it looks like junk but to the wise trained eye, it is treasure.
When I pass upscale yards with gnomes, poodles, wind socks, fancy sprinklers, plastic deer, stone frogs, wind chimes and other over indulgent useless cr@p,.it makes me want to try and start and ordinance so you can't put that ridiculous stuff in your yard? Sounds stupid huh? So does this junk ordinance.
Personally I would rather see my grandfathers old farm equipment then a cobalt blue ball or some useless aesthetic blob of so called art.. People that want this ordinance are uptight trust fund babies that think their money and influence can regulate what we do on our own land. Like the gentlemen said. "Go back to your gated communityā€¯ and leave us hard working folk to the real task in life.
Some of use don't walk around picking other peoples stuff apart and judge them by their yard or property. It may be an eye sore to some but it is memories and much more to others. Unless it is a health issue, people should mind their own business.
deal with it

Farmington, NM

#2 Sep 17, 2010
I agree with it. It looks like cr*p. You live like pigs with all the junk around and I get sick of looking at it. It also is a place for snakes and roadants to live and breed. You want to live like a neadrethal then go live in a cave and stay out of view. Besides if these junk cars are so valuable then why are they not in garages or barns protected? Wow that's a concept.
Oh good grief

Albuquerque, NM

#3 Sep 17, 2010
May I ask a question? What about businesses in the county that people drive past to get to? Do those business owners have to look at all that "treasure"? Should they have their property devalued due to those "treasure" collectors that move in after they have set up business? I think that is a rather significant question. No plastic deer, stone frogs, or gnomes, just a nice well kept business. Your eyesore is not memories. It is hoarding and not much else. Don't let the trash own you. Let is go, move on. If a good antique is setting in the yard it should be cared for not allowed to rot in the elements.
Hank

Greenwood, IN

#4 Sep 17, 2010
It just laziness. There is a difference between antiques and junk, and 90% of that stuff is junk.
I Hate Trash

Farmington, NM

#5 Sep 17, 2010
The reality of it is...what is living in and round all that junk ie. mice, skunks, snakes, roaches, goatheads, tumbleweeds!!! If it is in your yard, it's going to come into mine. I work full-time, play part-time and the other time I am cleaning my home inside and out. As for my neighbors, they work full-time and sit in their home the rest of the time. My view is looking at their weeds which are 5 feet tall or taller, trash everywhere, a fence broken down, and old cars which "sink"!!!! When the wind blows, I get their trash, their dead tumbleweeds, and the great aroma of their junk cars.

YOU PEOPLE NEED TO CLEAN YOUR YARDS!!!!! SHOW HOW MUCH PRIDE YOU HAVE IN YOURSELF AND YOUR BELONGINGS. AND.....HAVE RESPECT FOR OTHERS!!!! TRASH IS TRASH/JUNK IS JUNK.

Maybe you should think of selling your "junk cars" if they are worth so much.

I attended a seminar and the speaker stated, "If your home and surroundings are cluttered...your life is cluttered."

Since: Dec 09

Location hidden

#6 Sep 17, 2010
I Hate Trash wrote:
The reality of it is...what is living in and round all that junk ie. mice, skunks, snakes, roaches, goatheads, tumbleweeds!!! If it is in your yard, it's going to come into mine. I work full-time, play part-time and the other time I am cleaning my home inside and out. As for my neighbors, they work full-time and sit in their home the rest of the time. My view is looking at their weeds which are 5 feet tall or taller, trash everywhere, a fence broken down, and old cars which "sink"!!!! When the wind blows, I get their trash, their dead tumbleweeds, and the great aroma of their junk cars.
YOU PEOPLE NEED TO CLEAN YOUR YARDS!!!!! SHOW HOW MUCH PRIDE YOU HAVE IN YOURSELF AND YOUR BELONGINGS. AND.....HAVE RESPECT FOR OTHERS!!!! TRASH IS TRASH/JUNK IS JUNK.
I attended a seminar and the speaker stated, "If your home and surroundings are cluttered...your life is cluttered."
This is exactly why there ARE ordinances--because we do NOT live in a vacuum, even if we DO own private property. It's also why some places can be condemned based upon their inside and/or outside condition.

Lot's of OCD here in Farmington.
Gaia Girl

Grand Junction, CO

#7 Sep 17, 2010
"It also is a place for snakes and roadants to live and breed."

That is a good thing! The snakes keep the rodent population in check. Nothing makes me happier than to see a big, healthy bull snake. The plethora of animals living in such an environment shows that nature is indeed alive and well! You do remember what nature is, don't you?
Also, when the recession turns into another depression, all you prim and proper types will be begging for parts to fix your items that have broken! We "junk collectors" will be prepared with whatever you need! But, be prepared to pay top dollar for it.
Not Surprising

Sacramento, CA

#8 Sep 17, 2010
Rick, we need to clarify a point-refering people to watch a TV show about what happens to some antique cars is fine, problem is that most of the "antique" or special interest cars in SJ County just sit there rusting. Sounds like you have a problem with anyone who would like to live in a nice clean neighborhood. If you want to collect your junk-go for it-but put a fence around it so I dont have to look at it.
distaff

Las Cruces, NM

#9 Sep 17, 2010
My neighbor collects cars, trucks, farm equipment, and machines that I have no idea what they are.
Now we could have fumed and fussed as his collection grew. We could have stirred ourselves into an emotional state over his "clutter"
However we merely planted trees and vines that blocked his place from our view. Problem solved, but I would never have tried to tell him that he couldn't have his collection.
BY THE WAY snakes are great, they keep the rodent population in check. I always feel blessed to have them around. Also much of the county is rural and wild animals, like skunks and coons, are more the norm than not. Actually so are tumbleweeds, as they grow unchecked on public land.
My only suggestion is, if you don't like living in the country, then live in the city...don't try to turn the country into the city.
boble head

Las Cruces, NM

#10 Sep 17, 2010
Gaia Girl wrote:
"It also is a place for snakes and roadants to live and breed."
That is a good thing! The snakes keep the rodent population in check. Nothing makes me happier than to see a big, healthy bull snake. The plethora of animals living in such an environment shows that nature is indeed alive and well! You do remember what nature is, don't you?
Also, when the recession turns into another depression, all you prim and proper types will be begging for parts to fix your items that have broken! We "junk collectors" will be prepared with whatever you need! But, be prepared to pay top dollar for it.
Point well taken, gala girl
My aunt was a neat freak, her house spotless and not a surplus anything around.
However, when she needed a button, she would run to Mom, who routinely kept buttons in a jar. After all, why drive to town and buy a card of buttons, when she only needed one and could get it from Mom?
Dad had a cabinet with little drawers full of washers, nuts, screw, nails, etc. things needed to make repairs. That's not OCD, that's just common sense. Something our grandparents understood, something that too many people in this "throw away socitey" do not have the brains to appreciate.
Thanks

Rio Rancho, NM

#11 Sep 17, 2010
Very well written -
Seriously

Farmington, NM

#12 Sep 17, 2010
The phrase "Life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness" is actually in the Declaration of Independence, not the Constitution. They are two completely different documents with two completely different purposes. It would probably help you prove your point if you had a basic knowledge of our country's most important documents.
Thanks

Rio Rancho, NM

#13 Sep 17, 2010
Not Surprising wrote:
Rick, we need to clarify a point-refering people to watch a TV show about what happens to some antique cars is fine, problem is that most of the "antique" or special interest cars in SJ County just sit there rusting. Sounds like you have a problem with anyone who would like to live in a nice clean neighborhood. If you want to collect your junk-go for it-but put a fence around it so I dont have to look at it.
You have got to be kidding me, how do you think you keep things around for years so they can become antiques - then they are restored, you are quaint.
Cynical optimist

Albuquerque, NM

#14 Sep 17, 2010
Well said.
Thanks

Rio Rancho, NM

#15 Sep 17, 2010
Seriously wrote:
The phrase "Life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness" is actually in the Declaration of Independence, not the Constitution. They are two completely different documents with two completely different purposes. It would probably help you prove your point if you had a basic knowledge of our country's most important documents.
You are talking about the place that says all men are created equal - Go back to school and take doll making -
Thanks

Rio Rancho, NM

#16 Sep 17, 2010
MelanieThinker wrote:
<quoted text>
This is exactly why there ARE ordinances--because we do NOT live in a vacuum, even if we DO own private property. It's also why some places can be condemned based upon their inside and/or outside condition.
Lot's of OCD here in Farmington.
People that are holding out for the highest price, are condemned - that is how they get the best price, idiot !
bottom ash

Albuquerque, NM

#17 Sep 17, 2010
I Hate Trash wrote:
How come you spy on your neighbors. If you don't like the way they keep their yards, Go TO Their Door and Knock on It, and Tell them. Are you scared. One day your neighbor might save your life, or help you out with a flat tire. If your so worried about Tumbleweeds take a drive toward Bloomfield and see the weeds between the two roads. Isn't that a Safety concern for traffic turning. Who is responsible for cleaning those tumbleweeds. One day we will be dead, and nobody is going to give a HOOT, about your yard.
MIKE

Las Cruces, NM

#18 Sep 17, 2010
WELL I THINK THE NEW LAW WILL HELP OUT IN THIS COMMUNITY A LOT. IM NOT FROM THIS AREA I WAS BORN IN FLORIDA JOINED THE MILITARY AN MOVED AROUND A LOT IN THIS COUNTRY AN IVE SEEN A GOOD PART OF IT FROM FLORIDA TO ILLINOIS. FROM VIRGINIA TO CALIFORNIA AN IVE SEEN IT ALL THAT THIS COUNTRY HAS TO SEE. WHEN I MOVED HERE FROM CALIFORNIA (THE DESERT) I THOUGHT I TOOK A WRONG TURN BECAUSE OF THE EYE SORES YOU SEE ON THE WAY IN TO FARMINGTON AN THATS FROM ANY DIRECTION. I UNDERSTAND THE RIGHT TO BE HAPPY WITH YOUR CASTLE AN PILL UP CLASSIC CARS IN YOUR EYES OR LAWN ART. HAVE YOU EVER HERD OF SOMEONE SAYING (OH LET GO TO FARMINGTON FOR VACATION) NO YOU DON'T. MY GRANDFATHER HAD A COMPANY NAMED MAB( MAKE AMERICA BEAUTIFUL). ITS HARD TO MAKE A NICE PLACE TO LIVE OR INVITE PEOPLE TO SEE WHEN YOU HAVE TO DRIVE THOUGH A JUNK YARD OR A TRAILER GRAVE YARD TO GET HERE.
Dirt McGirt

Santa Fe, NM

#19 Sep 17, 2010
"The many 'Joe the Auto Restorer' people in the county want to be left alone to realize their constitutional rights. The bourgeois class needs to leave us alone, go to your gated communities with restrictive covenants. Pay your homeowners association fees, do your upper class things in your pursuit of happiness."

So this author is saying that every single resident of the county is a professional auto restorer? That's funny. I've only lived in this area for five years, but I've noticed some "collections" in peoples' yards have not changed one bit in that time. How long does it take to restore a car? Are you guys waiting for your great grandkids to do the work for you? You can hide behind the "Joe the Auto Restorer" title all you want. You know for a fact it's a lie. There may be a few people who work on cars and have old cars in their yards, but the majority of these junk collectors are never going to touch their piles of junk.

Besides if I was an auto restorer, most likely I would have a garage that I would do the work in. I wouldn't have four broken down minivans, sitting in weeds as tall as the windows, parked next to my single-wide trailer.
Seriously

Farmington, NM

#20 Sep 17, 2010
Thanks wrote:
<quoted text>
You are talking about the place that says all men are created equal - Go back to school and take doll making -
Yes. I am talking about the DECLARATION OF INDEPENDENCE which reads in part: "We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness."

This is the document that was written to declare our independence from Britain.The Declaration of Independence is our founder's philosopy on government. The Constitution is the document that dictates how laws should be written to uphold that philosophy and balance the rights of all individuals. They are two very different documents.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 7
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

The Pursuit of Happiness Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Independence Day: Reflecting on the freedoms th... (Jul '13) Jul '13 ondelivers 1
I Am Legend (Nov '11) Nov '11 none 3
Pursuit of Happiness: Oprah and Jenny McCarthy ... (Jan '11) Jan '11 curbedlastinks 1
The one true way anything is possible (Oct '10) Oct '10 Cappy 3
The Pursuit of Happiness (Jul '10) Jul '10 Hmmm 3
Citizenship and The Pursuit of Happiness (Jul '10) Jul '10 Spanglish No More 4
The Climate Change Hoax And The State Controlle... (Dec '09) Jan '10 Eighthman 5
More from around the web