Hawleyville post office will close

Hawleyville post office will close

There are 36 comments on the NewsTimes.com story from Jan 9, 2009, titled Hawleyville post office will close. In it, NewsTimes.com reports that:

The long love affair between the Hawleyville Post Office and its loyal customers will come to an end on - of all days - Valentine's Day.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at NewsTimes.com.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Jim From Woodbury

United States

#24 Jan 26, 2009
owner- HomeFromSlovenia wrote:
As a struggling small business owner, I really don't need this hammerblow from the govenment right now! It will probably cost me $10-20k to review what needs to be changed, change all my ads, change and reprint catalogs and other materials... etc etc etc. And I'm supposed to get this all done between Jan 10 and February 14th - or find time for a daily drive to Newtown until I can get this done? It probably makes more sense to close my business. Why in the world the Federal Government in the form of USPS would choose to close what is probably the best loved (and perhaps most profitable per square inch??) post office in the country, makes me wonder. Are they making other post-offices look bad? Did someone from an old administration slip this through at the end of the year? Does the Post Office need an overhaul too? I guess so - if the ones with great customer satisfaction are the ones that get closed! Senator Dodd, President Obama, Please help!
Agree... I also own a small business and will not be using the Newtown P.O. Business cards, letterheads, envelopes, trade name address, promotional give aways "pens, calculators, magnets, calendars,daily planners, etc all just ordered for the new year with the Hawleyville address...The only P.O. that is probably making money...what a shame...
Ca mu na t Disorganizer

Trumbull, CT

#25 Jan 26, 2009
savehawleyvillepo com wrote:
We are grassroots group of local residents trying to save the post office. In spite of what the post office is telling us - there is a possibility they may reopen in Hawleyville at a later date - the truth is 98% stay closed forever.
PLEASE GO TO www.savehawleyvillepo.com for a list of things you can do to help us! This is URGENT URGENT URGENT. They plan to close the post office on Valentines Day - which seems kind of heartless to those of us that love and use the facility.
Terry Laslo
This is a heart wrenching tragedy!
Very Sad in Newtown

Trumbull, CT

#26 Jan 27, 2009
I wish I thought something I could say would change the situation, but I know that's not so. I'm writing this on the chance that Mark, Laura or Rich might read it and know how much they will be missed. I've been going to the Hawleyville PO for just a few years, but what a pleasure it has been. Any one of the employees would go over and above to help make a visit to the PO quick and easy. Many times they helped me unload packages and fill out forms. They always remember your name. I can tell you we won't get that anywhere else. I'm truley unhappy about the prospect of using the Newtown PO, but mostly I will miss how actually pleasant the post office chore was at Hawleyville. So, so sorry to see you go.
Hard To Believe

Boston, MA

#29 Jan 27, 2009
In a time where positive examples of customer service and professionalism are hard to come by - itís sad that a dispute over property / building renovations is going to force a great operation to close. I find it hard to believe (or at the very least disappointed in their negotiating skills) that between the Railroad and the USPS that some form of compromise couldnít have been reached.
verrlet

Boston, MA

#32 Jan 27, 2009
The racist posts should just bow their heads in shame, it's ridiculous in this day and age that they should still be posting such s_ _t. It is too bad that the post office is being closed, I go to the Bethel and Wilton post offices and they are so incredibly slow and inefficient that it is a shame that a good post office is being closed down for no reason, Although in the Bethel Post Office defense, they are very understaffed (like most of Bethel) and don't get enough funding and help. The Wilton Post Office however is staffed by inefficient losers.
Jim From Woodbury

United States

#33 Jan 27, 2009
verrlet wrote:
The racist posts should just bow their heads in shame, it's ridiculous in this day and age that they should still be posting such s__t. It is too bad that the post office is being closed, I go to the Bethel and Wilton post offices and they are so incredibly slow and inefficient that it is a shame that a good post office is being closed down for no reason, Although in the Bethel Post Office defense, they are very understaffed (like most of Bethel) and don't get enough funding and help. The Wilton Post Office however is staffed by inefficient losers.
Agree!! I think what this boils down to is something a large corporation or the (P.O.) does not see in the long term. Yes, the Post office is a large enity, but it is also local. We see the same people every day at our local Post Office but they also represent the US Government. I am proud to vote on election day, as most of us are, but also proud to see a local Government office such as the small Post Office in Hawleyville with the American Flag waving as I enter. Call me sentimental, but I always feel a local connection to America when I see our flag in a small community such as Hawleyville.
GI Baby 46

Newtown, CT

#34 Jan 28, 2009
I asked the USPS why they print lots of stamps--what we need is service-Hawleyville gives us a full measure... Thanx
Jo-Ann Scebold

Worcester, MA

#35 Jan 28, 2009
I have lived in Newtown for 13 years, 10 of which I have had a p.o. box at Hawleyville. It's the best p.o. in this area. I have been soooo happy there. Personnel couldn't be nicer. They know their customers and treat us well. I have NEVER used such a wonderful p.o. as Hawleyville. It's a dump; I call it "no frills" but the SERVICE IS GREAT. That's what counts. jts
Amy in Hawleyville

Ridgefield, CT

#36 Jan 30, 2009
I live in Hawleyville and work on the west side of Danbury (exit 2). Hawleyville is the only Post office convenient to where I live and drive.
Newtown and Brookfield are both in areas I rarely visit, expecially during business hours, and the Danbury PO out by the mall is so understaffed and the lines are so long that it is torturous to use. The other day I had to send a priority mail item in the middle of my work day and spent an hour accompllishing this task, even though the Danbury PO is only 5 minutes from my office.
In contrast, I can stop at Hawleyville on the way to and from work and accomplish the same thing in just a few minutes.
The folks at the Hawleyville PO are very friendly and know our whole family on a first-name basis - toddlers included. My husband's family has lived in Hawleyville since the 1920's and it has always been our post office.
Louis David-davidphoto s

New Haven, CT

#38 Jan 30, 2009
I've been using this post office to run my business for many years. The only reason I use the postal sevice is because of the staff at the Hawleyville Branch. They are OUTSTANDING PEOPLE. You need need to do what it takes to keep them open.Because you can count on us to do the same.
Kathy Brookfield CT

East Longmeadow, MA

#40 Jan 30, 2009
It saddens me to think that such a great and friendly post office will be closed. I live closer to the Brookfield PO but like many others have mentioned, I hate to go there!! The lines are long, the staff slow, and its workers are not nearly as friendly as Mark and the rest of the staff at Hawleyville. What a stupid move by the USPS. I guess I will just have to start paying my bills online and forget the USPS all together. USPS..sorry but think of the money you stand to lose with this stupid move.
mitchell rex

Southbridge, MA

#41 Feb 2, 2009
coin wrote:
Is there some way to complain about the Brookfield Post Office officially? I am guessing that the Postmaster there is probably of the same mentality as his staff. It seems a lot of people are unhappy with the Brookfield PO
I agree, Hawleyville is much friendlier and offers the same service & products
postal blog

Encinitas, CA

#42 Jun 29, 2009
Bravo!!! Keep up the good fight.
I miss my homestate of Connecticut.
http://postalweb.blogspot.com
Jed Pauker

Orange, CA

#43 Feb 26, 2012
Our historic Post Office is about to close. We are trying to save it. We are reaching out to your community in an effort to work together. We ask for your help to save our post office, and we hope to help save yours, which may face reduced service and closure this year or next, or soon after that.

The danger is a bad law that needs to change. A new law can make that change - but it may not pass soon enough. Meanwhile, over 3,700 post offices that don't have to close are in danger.

We know about nearby closures. We know about rural closures. We are organized. We hold rallies, we write letters and we speak out. Last week, we filed a lawsuit in DC Circuit Court to challenge the closure of our post office.

We received a letter of support from the Canadian Union of Postal Workers. We will meet this week and next with our US Senators and Congressman. They can help us break the deadlock.

Please consider signing our petition: http://www.change.org/petitions/rep-henry-wax... .

Here is our Facebook site: http://www.facebook.com/savethevenicepostoffi... .

Feel free to learn more at a local resource page: http://venicenc.org/savethevmpo and a national web site: http://savethepostoffice.com .

Feel free to contact us at <[email protected] ail.com>. Let's help each other. Let's work together to save this most valuable public service and the heart of every community.

Thank you.

The Coalition to Save Venice Post Office
TV MAN

United States

#44 Feb 26, 2012
postal blog wrote:
Bravo!!! Keep up the good fight.
I miss my homestate of Connecticut.
erectuswalksamongstus.com
Haha nice site!
TV MAN

United States

#45 Feb 26, 2012
But seriously, best thing about Hawleyville was that there were no black people working or walkin` in there stinkin` up the place. The people were so nice to each other.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

The Postal Service Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Just received a call for first interview!! (Feb '17) Sat Smug 2
Origin Post is Preparing Shipment? Nov '17 ChadB83 1
where in NY is better to work as USPS PSESSD (W... Oct '17 Ayse 1
News How Doomed Is the U.S. Postal Service? (Jun '13) Sep '17 Uber-Bro of the U... 8
Package delivery Sep '17 Jim 1
News Chamber working to expand Vale Post Office Aug '17 Kimberlylyda 2
frustrated delivering apartments Aug '17 minkhollow 1
More from around the web