Hawleyville post office will close

Hawleyville post office will close

There are 36 comments on the NewsTimes.com story from Jan 9, 2009, titled Hawleyville post office will close. In it, NewsTimes.com reports that:

The long love affair between the Hawleyville Post Office and its loyal customers will come to an end on - of all days - Valentine's Day.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at NewsTimes.com.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Jim From Woodbury

United States

#1 Jan 9, 2009
Have had a PO Box in Hawleyville for over 25 years. Best Service ever and will deeply miss them! No way will I go to the Newtown PO which is inconvenient nor will I go to those obnoxious people at the Brookfield PO. Perhaps the PO needs some competition. Great Location! Dumb move PO. Hawleyville was/is a money maker!!!
Jen

Richmond, VA

#2 Jan 9, 2009
WOW :-(
I now live in VA. I remember going there 20 years ago. A sad move.
Return to Sender

Seymour, CT

#3 Jan 9, 2009
Will the post office have to fill out a "forward mail to" postcard for their mail?
Susan

Monroe, CT

#4 Jan 10, 2009
I am a resident of Brookfield and I have used the Hawleyville post office forever...They are so friendly and helpful...I will never go to the Brookfield Post, as I find the people who work there, very unfriendly!
Until Hawleyville post office finds a place, I will buy my stamps online..
Hawleyville and the people who work there will be greatly missed!
livin in ct

Plainville, CT

#5 Jan 10, 2009
Mark and his staff are the best. Very courteous and friendly. Also always speedy service. What are we to do now? Drive out of our way to Commerce Rd and wait on line for 20 minutes? What about the brand new building being constructed on Barnabas Rd? A perfect new location for the post office. Leave it to the government to screw it up. Way to go USPS!
Say it isnt so

Worcester, MA

#6 Jan 10, 2009
No no no... oh please no. I live in Brookfield and if I need to go to the post office I go out of my way to use the Hawleyville P.O. They are all so nice and helpful and there are never lines there. The main Brookfield post office is awful. There are always lines and never enough help on hand. This is a big mistake.
whawahWUT

United States

#7 Jan 10, 2009
NO!

this is the nicest PO in the area

it's a PLEASURE doing business there, so different than any other post office in the area!!!

NNNNOOOOO!!!
Jim From Woodbury

United States

#8 Jan 10, 2009
livin in ct wrote:
Mark and his staff are the best. Very courteous and friendly. Also always speedy service. What are we to do now? Drive out of our way to Commerce Rd and wait on line for 20 minutes? What about the brand new building being constructed on Barnabas Rd? A perfect new location for the post office. Leave it to the government to screw it up. Way to go USPS!
Barnabas Road is where I thought they would move to also as it's the perfect locaton. Think it comes down to the mighty dollar. With the little overhead Hawleyville has/had they are probably one of the few Post Offices that are/were making a profit. Perhaps a Mailboxes chain or something similar will open up at the Barnabas Road location...Not sure...I live in Woodbury, but travel to Danbury almost everyday. Have had a Box in Hawleyville for over 25 years and they will be surely missed..
fred hurley

Bloomfield, CT

#9 Jan 10, 2009
Only the goverment could screw up somthing as simple as our little post office!
out of ct

East Hampstead, NH

#10 Jan 10, 2009
06440, soon to be history
Ca mu na t Disorganizer

Trumbull, CT

#11 Jan 10, 2009
Maybe Obama will save the Haweyville post office.
Sosad

Raleigh, NC

#12 Jan 10, 2009
I own a business n bethel, stony hill ara, these folks that work at the postoffice come in all the time, what a big loss for the area. the are great people and make a chore going to the post office anything but. So sorry to see this is being closed, too bad we cannot vote as to which one gets closed!
Puff n Grunt

Colchester, CT

#13 Jan 10, 2009
You could die in the Brookfield post office and the clerks there would just drag their coffee cups around your twitching body. If you think gov't managed health care is a good idea, spend a few hours in line at the Brookfield PO. The bozos who run the Housatonic Railroad, who brought this calamity on us, are simply evil.
Pat

Old Chatham, NY

#16 Jan 11, 2009
I now live far, far away, but when we lived in the Stony Hill section of Bethel, that was the only post office I used. Close by and the workers were always so helpful and friendly. Do hope a post office is earmarked for Stony Hill.
coin

Southbury, CT

#17 Jan 11, 2009
So right wrote:
<quoted text> The Brookfield post office is horrendous. You're so right the clerks that work there are as slow as molasses and they could give two sh1ts about the people waiting forever online. I cringe if I have to go in there.
I hate the Brookfield Post Office too! The staff there is rude and every time I am stuck in their slow line I am subject to listening to their loud, crass mouths telling off-color jokes.
Maybe I will use Bridgewater, there might be some old-fashioned good service there.
coin

Southbury, CT

#18 Jan 11, 2009
Is there some way to complain about the Brookfield Post Office officially? I am guessing that the Postmaster there is probably of the same mentality as his staff. It seems a lot of people are unhappy with the Brookfield PO
Pepper

Yolo, CA

#19 Jan 11, 2009
Post offices are so 1980's. They should close them all. You can do everything in minutes right on the computer now. You can buy stamps, ship packages and hold mail without standing in line at some grubby government office that smells like mold. Actually, it might be the workers that smell like mold.
HMc

New Milford, CT

#20 Jan 11, 2009
Let's bring back the pony express while people want to save a post office.

Never complain about the cost of a stamp.

When are they going to close the gaylordsville post office?

Downtown New Milford needs more shoppers.
savehawleyvillep o com

Monroe, CT

#22 Jan 25, 2009
We are grassroots group of local residents trying to save the post office. In spite of what the post office is telling us - there is a possibility they may reopen in Hawleyville at a later date - the truth is 98% stay closed forever.
PLEASE GO TO www.savehawleyvillepo.com for a list of things you can do to help us! This is URGENT URGENT URGENT. They plan to close the post office on Valentines Day - which seems kind of heartless to those of us that love and use the facility.
Terry Laslo
owner- HomeFromSlovenia

Danbury, CT

#23 Jan 26, 2009
As a struggling small business owner, I really don't need this hammerblow from the govenment right now! It will probably cost me $10-20k to review what needs to be changed, change all my ads, change and reprint catalogs and other materials... etc etc etc. And I'm supposed to get this all done between Jan 10 and February 14th - or find time for a daily drive to Newtown until I can get this done? It probably makes more sense to close my business. Why in the world the Federal Government in the form of USPS would choose to close what is probably the best loved (and perhaps most profitable per square inch??) post office in the country, makes me wonder. Are they making other post-offices look bad? Did someone from an old administration slip this through at the end of the year? Does the Post Office need an overhaul too? I guess so - if the ones with great customer satisfaction are the ones that get closed! Senator Dodd, President Obama, Please help!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

The Postal Service Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News How Doomed Is the U.S. Postal Service? (Jun '13) Sep 19 Uber-Bro of the U... 8
Package delivery Sep 7 Jim 1
News Chamber working to expand Vale Post Office Aug '17 Kimberlylyda 2
frustrated delivering apartments Aug '17 minkhollow 1
Disabled mail carrier Jul '17 Jay 1
News Five Houston post offices off chopping block, E... (Mar '17) Mar '17 FivePharts 1
News 1 billion delivered annually: Houston installs ... (Mar '17) Mar '17 DeliveredPhartz 1
More from around the web