USPS Can Pay Taxpayers -- If Congress...

USPS Can Pay Taxpayers -- If Congress Acts

There are 13 comments on the Local TV Station KTVZ story from Mar 6, 2012, titled USPS Can Pay Taxpayers -- If Congress Acts. In it, Local TV Station KTVZ reports that:

The Postal Service is facing such a cash crunch that it has a $12.1 billion loan outstanding from Treasury.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Local TV Station KTVZ.

CHECK SIX

North Port, FL

#1 Mar 6, 2012
Postmaster General Gets Pay Bonus as Agency Falters

As the U.S. Postal Service considers cutting delivery service in the face of dwindling mail volume and rising costs, the postmaster general received a big pay raise and a performance bonus last year, all authorized by Congress.

Postmaster General John Potter's base salary climbed to $265,000 last year from $186,000 in 2007. He also received a performance bonus of $135,000. In all his total compensation -- salary, bonuses, retirement benefits and other perks -- topped $850,000, a spokesman with the U.S. Postal Service said.

At the same time, the Postal Service, an independent federal agency, is crumbling alongside the economy and as online communications increase competition. The Postal Service lost $2.8 billion last year when total mail volume recorded 202 billion pieces of mail, its largest single drop in history -- down more than 9 billion pieces from a year earlier.

It Seems The POSTAL SERVICE is Like Fannie May,Freddi Mack,and OBAMA CARE...ALL FRIGGED UP!

This HUISSIEN GOVERNMENT can not do anything right.....And We are in their hands...and they are KILLING US and AMERICA

Time to throw the INCOMPETENT ,OVER PAID,BASTARDS OUT!!...ALL THE CRAZY LOONS...OUT!!
AntiMelting

Saint Paul, MN

#2 Mar 6, 2012
And people want government healthcare.

“Repeated lies are not truth”

Since: Jul 11

8120'

#3 Mar 6, 2012
CHECK SIX wrote:
Postmaster General Gets Pay Bonus as Agency Falters
As the U.S. Postal Service considers cutting delivery service in the face of dwindling mail volume and rising costs, the postmaster general received a big pay raise and a performance bonus last year, all authorized by Congress.
Postmaster General John Potter's base salary climbed to $265,000 last year from $186,000 in 2007. He also received a performance bonus of $135,000. In all his total compensation -- salary, bonuses, retirement benefits and other perks -- topped $850,000, a spokesman with the U.S. Postal Service said.
At the same time, the Postal Service, an independent federal agency, is crumbling alongside the economy and as online communications increase competition. The Postal Service lost $2.8 billion last year when total mail volume recorded 202 billion pieces of mail, its largest single drop in history -- down more than 9 billion pieces from a year earlier.
It Seems The POSTAL SERVICE is Like Fannie May,Freddi Mack,and OBAMA CARE...ALL FRIGGED UP!
This HUISSIEN GOVERNMENT can not do anything right.....And We are in their hands...and they are KILLING US and AMERICA
Time to throw the INCOMPETENT ,OVER PAID,BASTARDS OUT!!...ALL THE CRAZY LOONS...OUT!!
It was the Republican controlled 109th Congress in 2005 that mandated the USPS pre-fund their retirement benefits, causing the current mess.
But if ever read an article instead of just foaming at the mouth and shouting, you'd know that.
CHECK SIX

North Port, FL

#4 Mar 6, 2012
Irascible Infidel wrote:
<quoted text>
It was the Republican controlled 109th Congress in 2005 that mandated the USPS pre-fund their retirement benefits, causing the current mess.
But if ever read an article instead of just foaming at the mouth and shouting, you'd know that.
Tell us about the Unemployment then??..how about Yer house?? yer kids going to College? Vacations,All Yer Toys...and of course when LOONS ,and NUMBNUTS came along GAS!,ENERGY .now a national emergency!...

NASA NO MORE..Credit Rating,GONE..National debt Under NUMBNUTS UNCONTROLLED!....America is in a CARTER like Misery!..And A JERK like you can not admit it,,!..

.Solyandria,Scandal,Mismanagem ent, VOLT,Dodd and Frank. OBAMA Care!.and More...Gitmo Still There,..the USA of a FUBAR!!.And an AH like you wants to blame others????.Try HOOVER!..So Stop Yer Hydrophobia of Yer Blow Hole....You LIKE ALL loons Do Not Know What Yer Talking About!.....The GOD DAMMING OF AMERICA are from LOONS like NITWITS like you...

8120'

#5 Mar 6, 2012
CHECK SIX wrote:
<quoted text>
Tell us about the Unemployment then??..how about Yer house?? yer kids going to College? Vacations,All Yer Toys...and of course when LOONS ,and NUMBNUTS came along GAS!,ENERGY .now a national emergency!...
NASA NO MORE..Credit Rating,GONE..National debt Under NUMBNUTS UNCONTROLLED!....America is in a CARTER like Misery!..And A JERK like you can not admit it,,!..
.Solyandria,Scandal,Mismanagem ent, VOLT,Dodd and Frank. OBAMA Care!.and More...Gitmo Still There,..the USA of a FUBAR!!.And an AH like you wants to blame others????.Try HOOVER!..So Stop Yer Hydrophobia of Yer Blow Hole....You LIKE ALL loons Do Not Know What Yer Talking About!.....The GOD DAMMING OF AMERICA are from LOONS like NITWITS like you...
???? I'd say drop the Adderall completely, go up 100mgs on the Kolanapan & 25mgs on the Valium...
Xstain Mullah Franchisee

Wilmington, DE

#7 Mar 6, 2012
AntiMelting wrote:
And people want government healthcare.
You're an idiot. We could not have had every day mail delivery all over the country for all these decades as a private enterprise.
A Nnoyed

Dumfries, UK

#8 Mar 6, 2012
Xstain Mullah Franchisee wrote:
<quoted text>
You're an idiot. We could not have had every day mail delivery all over the country for all these decades as a private enterprise.
Why not?
Xstain Mullah Franchisee

Wilmington, DE

#9 Mar 6, 2012
A Nnoyed wrote:
<quoted text>
Why not?
Because you're stupid, that's why.

Fed Ex can deliver to most parts of the country on an as needed basis because they charge twelve times for a little flat pack than the usps charges for a first class stamp.

The volume of mail is enormously larger than what the private alternatives deal with. The private alternatives don't have to go everywhere in the 57 states and territories every six days out of seven. And the private alternatives don't have to use their first class equivalent delivery services to subsidize junk mail rates for corporations, as Congress has forced the usps to do for decades.

It's called "economics," you moron.
A Nnoyed

Dumfries, UK

#10 Mar 6, 2012
just pay for the service or don't use it

moron

8120'

#11 Mar 6, 2012
Xstain Mullah Franchisee wrote:
<quoted text>
I think if the USPS dropped upped the "bulk" rate to the same $$ as 1st class mail, they'd be far more solvent & we'd have 75% less crap moving through the system.
Xstain Mullah Fricassee

Wilmington, DE

#12 Mar 6, 2012
Irascible Infidel wrote:
<quoted text>
I think if the USPS dropped upped the "bulk" rate to the same $$ as 1st class mail, they'd be far more solvent & we'd have 75% less crap moving through the system.
Sure, but businesses won't allow it. Their precious junk. I could wallpaper a room with the stuff just from verizon I get in two months...and I'm already their customer for some stuff.

I'm old fashioned, but I always thought the lower rate for books and recordings was a good subsidy.

8120'

#13 Mar 6, 2012
Xstain Mullah Fricassee wrote:
<quoted text>
Sure, but businesses won't allow it. Their precious junk. I could wallpaper a room with the stuff just from verizon I get in two months...and I'm already their customer for some stuff.
I'm old fashioned, but I always thought the lower rate for books and recordings was a good subsidy.
Yeah, total agreement. & 80% of people download their media now, further decreasing USPS revenue
Wall Street Government

Sebastian, FL

#14 Mar 7, 2012
USPS is the only agency in both the public and private sector that has been required to prefund retiree health benefits at the level the organization does. This high amount of prefunding helped create a $75 million dollar overpayment from USPS within the Civil Service Retirement System.

USPS currently prepays retiree health benefits. These payments are prepaid on an annual basis for employees who are not even eligible for retirement yet, according to USPS. USPS believes that this prepayments have helped contribute to their projected $115 billion budget shortfall.

The GOP-controlled Congress in 2006 passed the Postal Accountability and Enhancement Act, a law that requires the Postal Service to prepay the healthcare benefits of retirees 75 years in advance over a 10 year period. That liability, enacted in a year the Postal Service had record revenues and volume, costs the USPS more than $5 billion a year. It is a mandate that no other government agency or private business has to fulfill. The Postal Service has said it cannot meet this yearÂ’s payment.

One wonders whether the intention was to force the USPS to go broke, giving GOP lawmakers an excuse to push their long held goal of privatization

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

The Postal Service Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Postal system is getting lazy! Nov 26 zlom4815 2
News For Powers that be, it's all Harris Hill (Apr '08) Nov 22 Original Probe Me... 7
Pension Plan? Nov 19 JohnJohnson 1
What? Nov 17 Dylan 1
Delivered status on tracking but package never ... Oct '16 Jcowan1023 1
we have black mold Oct '16 dalla d 1
Postal Uniform Sales Question Sep '16 online postal uni... 2
More from around the web