USPS closing Springfield, Cape Girardeau centers

Feb 23, 2012 Full story: News Tribune 32

The U.S. Postal Service, hit hard by declining mail volume and revenue, has announced plans to close its mail processing and distribution centers in Springfield and Cape Girardeau, losing more than 130 positions.

Full Story
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Not good

Naperville, IL

#1 Feb 23, 2012
The only thing I USPS for now is to pay bills, however I will no longer be doing that anymore. I'm sure they will end up getting the price of their postage stamps raised so we will actually be paying more for less service since our mail will take longer to reach its destination now. I know it may not hurt them but it's all online transactions for me and my family from now on.
Too bad

United States

#2 Feb 23, 2012
Not good wrote:
The only thing I USPS for now is to pay bills, however I will no longer be doing that anymore. I'm sure they will end up getting the price of their postage stamps raised so we will actually be paying more for less service since our mail will take longer to reach its destination now. I know it may not hurt them but it's all online transactions for me and my family from now on.
The postal service is an American institution. It is sad what they and the people that have served are going through. The same discomfort they feel is the same discomfort that many of us feel as the world around us changes. It has to happen; there's no doubt about that. I just hope we can have some compassion and respect for an Important institution.

“I share my opinion on things.”

Since: Jun 11

Location hidden

#3 Feb 24, 2012
That sucks majorly. I like the post office. Its very useful for sending out packages
puke

Paducah, KY

#4 Feb 24, 2012
Yep
guest

Saint Louis, MO

#5 Feb 25, 2012
Well that sucks.

“Being a Guest is my Career”

Since: Jan 12

Petticoat Junction

#6 Feb 25, 2012
Union jobs.

Un motivated employees.

equals plant closure.
Trex

Cape Girardeau, MO

#7 Feb 26, 2012
Professional Guest wrote:
Union jobs.

Un motivated employees.

equals plant closure.
Geez, now you have to fabricate a story to take a shot at the unions? Sorry but union labor has nothing to do with this. It revolves more around the USPS not adapting to changes in technology and advancement in the Internet.(online bill pay, e-mail advertising) People simply don't use them nearly as much as they once did.

“Don't forget the Oxford Comma!”

Since: Nov 11

Location hidden

#8 Feb 26, 2012
Professional Guest wrote:
Union jobs.

Un motivated employees.

equals plant closure.
This issue has NOTHING to do with "unmotivated workers."
Less people are using the USPS and they have no money. THAT'S why the plant is closing.
If the workers were lazy, why would they be trying to find new USPS jobs for all the workers they are about to let go from the plant?

“Being a Guest is my Career”

Since: Jan 12

Petticoat Junction

#9 Feb 26, 2012
Trex wrote:
<quoted text>
Geez, now you have to fabricate a story to take a shot at the unions? Sorry but union labor has nothing to do with this. It revolves more around the USPS not adapting to changes in technology and advancement in the Internet.(online bill pay, e-mail advertising) People simply don't use them nearly as much as they once did.
Didn't fabricate a story. Made three statements.
It is the UNION contracts which are bleeding dry these UN MOTIVATED workers.

Do yourself a favor and do a little bit of research on the subject. Then comment..because your hick is sure showing on this one.

“Being a Guest is my Career”

Since: Jan 12

Petticoat Junction

#10 Feb 26, 2012
TheRealMayMay wrote:
<quoted text>
This issue has NOTHING to do with "unmotivated workers."
Less people are using the USPS and they have no money. THAT'S why the plant is closing.
If the workers were lazy, why would they be trying to find new USPS jobs for all the workers they are about to let go from the plant?
It has everything to do with unmotivated workers. These workers KNEW they were up for the chopping block FOUR YEARS AGO. They did nothing about it their performance scores in the plant. NOTHING! The Union contracts are bleeding the USPS dry. As I stated to the other person, do a bit of research on this subject before you comment. Because seriously, you don't have a clue as to what you're talking about. Typical Southeast HICK!
guest

Chicago, IL

#11 Feb 26, 2012
Hey professional idiot, you have no idea what you are talking about. Everyone else seems to understand that the post office just doesn't bring in the money they once did. It wouldn't matter how hard the employees worked, they wouldn't be able to bring in any extra money. Maybe if you think about it for a few days before you comment again you can get a better understanding of it.
Trex

Cape Girardeau, MO

#12 Feb 26, 2012
Professional Guest wrote:
<quoted text>
Didn't fabricate a story. Made three statements.
It is the UNION contracts which are bleeding dry these UN MOTIVATED workers.
Do yourself a favor and do a little bit of research on the subject. Then comment..because your hick is sure showing on this one.
Overall USPS mail volume is down a documented 20% and cutbacks are a result of this decrease. And yet you somehow connect this to unionized labor? Or are you trying to imply that the AFL-CIO is behind the Internet and the convenience of paying / communicating on-line? Damn those tricky unions.

Lastly, I adore your childish name calling trait as you, in the very same sentence, imply I'm a "hick". The sick irony is entertaining and laughable.

“Being a Guest is my Career”

Since: Jan 12

Petticoat Junction

#13 Feb 26, 2012
guest wrote:
Hey professional idiot, you have no idea what you are talking about. Everyone else seems to understand that the post office just doesn't bring in the money they once did. It wouldn't matter how hard the employees worked, they wouldn't be able to bring in any extra money. Maybe if you think about it for a few days before you comment again you can get a better understanding of it.
Unfortunately, I am in the unique position to know more about this than the average public citizen. The spin by the media is the drop in sales revenue because of the use of the internet etc. However, in the attempt to use cost cutting measures to ensure the continuance of each plant in a a productive manner has been met with a brick wall of Union mandates. Contracts that, at first blush,are not threatening in any way. However, after delving a little deeper, one would find the inability to use cost saving measures and ensure each employee is able to maintain their salary and their occupation.
Because of Union mandates, there are employees who are kept on in their positions, when they do not deserve to keep their jobs.

“Being a Guest is my Career”

Since: Jan 12

Petticoat Junction

#14 Feb 26, 2012
Trex wrote:
<quoted text>
Overall USPS mail volume is down a documented 20% and cutbacks are a result of this decrease. And yet you somehow connect this to unionized labor? Or are you trying to imply that the AFL-CIO is behind the Internet and the convenience of paying / communicating on-line? Damn those tricky unions.
Lastly, I adore your childish name calling trait as you, in the very same sentence, imply I'm a "hick". The sick irony is entertaining and laughable.
Unfortunately, I am in the unique position to know more about this than the average public citizen. The spin by the media is the drop in sales revenue because of the use of the internet etc. However, in the attempt to use cost cutting measures to ensure the continuance of each plant in a a productive manner has been met with a brick wall of Union mandates. Contracts that, at first blush,are not threatening in any way. However, after delving a little deeper, one would find the inability to use cost saving measures and ensure each employee is able to maintain their salary and their occupation.
Because of Union mandates, there are employees who are kept on in their positions, when they do not deserve to keep their jobs.
guest

Cape Girardeau, MO

#15 Feb 26, 2012
Professional Guest wrote:
<quoted text>Unfortunately, I am in the unique position to know more about this than the average public citizen. The spin by the media is the drop in sales revenue because of the use of the internet etc.
This is no spin. The "media" as you and so many other boneheads call it reports this because it's what the USPS tells them. Yes, I know this for a fact. The press releases are online for all to see.
Jesse

Cape Girardeau, MO

#16 Feb 26, 2012
I wish it was still here. Mailed alot thru there. Unions killed another good thing.

Since: Apr 11

United States

#17 Feb 26, 2012
The only reason the Post Office in this predicament is because of the prefunding of retirement and health benefits to the government. That no other corporation has to do

“Being a Guest is my Career”

Since: Jan 12

Petticoat Junction

#18 Feb 26, 2012
Yahoouser wrote:
The only reason the Post Office in this predicament is because of the prefunding of retirement and health benefits to the government. That no other corporation has to do
You're getting there.. and totally on the right track.

“Don't forget the Oxford Comma!”

Since: Nov 11

Location hidden

#19 Feb 26, 2012
Professional Guest wrote:
<quoted text>It has everything to do with unmotivated workers. These workers KNEW they were up for the chopping block FOUR YEARS AGO. They did nothing about it their performance scores in the plant. NOTHING! The Union contracts are bleeding the USPS dry. As I stated to the other person, do a bit of research on this subject before you comment. Because seriously, you don't have a clue as to what you're talking about. Typical Southeast HICK!
You are so stupid!
The USPS is closing plants and offices but keeping the workers! Why would they keep the workers if they were the problem!?
former postalboy

Saint Louis, MO

#20 Feb 26, 2012
TheRealMayMay wrote:
<quoted text>
You are so stupid!
The USPS is closing plants and offices but keeping the workers! Why would they keep the workers if they were the problem!?
The USPS has been mismanaged for a very long time. The 3 major components in this very sad demise are these: 1. The overpayment to Civil Service retirement funds. At least 8 years ago it was found it was fully funded to pay the people who had already retired and was over funded by 27 billion. Then after closer inspection, it was closer to 78 billion. So why didin't the government allow the USPS to have this back? During the "W" admin, the money was essentially earmarked elsewhere. Can't give back what you don't have. 2. Discounts to the bulk mailers. They had been given discounts larger than what than what it would cost to run the piece. Ever see "junk mail," that has .03 in the corner? I fully agree they should have discounts for the volume with which they mail, but not to exceed what it costs to run it.
3. Marketing. Yes email did away with snail mail, but the USPS has grossly failed at tapping the other half of its enterprise- packages. They were already in a hindrance by the Postal Regulatory Commission in that prices cannot be changed to reflect a changing environment (huge fuel spikes that cannot be offset)You are not going to suddenly get more 1st class mail being created, so you must target your other strengths.
The unions have provided employees a safe place to work through OSHA guidelines. The peace of mind knowing you can provide for your family and benfits in the event you get sick or a retirement plan that if you commit your life to the USPS, there is a reward with the ability to retire. You make this sound like it was just a playday for union workers because they drew a larger pay than a non union environment. How has the last administrations success at wiping out many of the protections that Unions have provided helped the economy? More business' have continued to move offshore, or drop more and more benefits from families. The reality of better pay, is more money spent locally, not overseas.
Or... maybe it was just the unions that closed the plant

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

The Postal Service Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Post Office employee contracts TB 11 minutes ag... 2 hr NO MACKEEPER 1
FBI Probes Agency Computer Breaches Said to Bea... Nov '14 START makingsense 1
Husband distraught after wife's ashes lost in t... Nov '14 START makingsense 1
Rallies Friday to Spotlight Postal Service Cuts Nov '14 vet 3
Does the Postal Service protect your privacy? Nov '14 End USPS 1
Rules are in place for a reason Nov '14 End USPS 1
Neighbor fed up with repeat mailbox vandalism Oct '14 Stupid Postal 1
More from around the web