New mayor Schwab on top of the world

New mayor Schwab on top of the world

There are 39 comments on the Chico Enterprise-Record story from Dec 3, 2008, titled New mayor Schwab on top of the world. In it, Chico Enterprise-Record reports that:

Nonprofit manager and sustainability advocate Ann Schwab took up the city's gavel as mayor Tuesday night after the Chico City Council welcomed one face and said goodbye to another.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Chico Enterprise-Record.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last

“Comedy Central Sways the Vote ”

Since: Nov 08

Chico California

#2 Dec 3, 2008
Great news

The new almost all ultra liberal City Council is in!

I have 300 tons of concrete, barb wire and medical waste I want to sell to City Council as Art. Only 2 Million dollars. Plan to put it in the middle of the 18th hole of Golf Course once they close it to. Plan to call it "Hazard Ahead" or "Schwab Hill"

Once taxes and fees are hiked we can cut police, fire and road maintenance and finish off downtown City park with more concrete and sleeping shelters around that large outdoor shower. Just think of all the new Park land we can buy in future to fence off- say Musty Buck reserve?

Of course removal of disc course comes first- as we need to fence the upper park. The City also needs to buy any of the large houses visable from the viewshed of the park to have as Homes for Mayor, City Council members,Bidwell Park and Playground commissioner, Dept of Evironment members and Friends of Park officials.That way Park will be protected and in officials minds.

Lots to do and not do(like not fund any park improvements voted for) as we march deeper into taxpayer and businesses wallet.

But first exemption for all taxes for anyone selling bikes in Chico
Say Again Please

Firebaugh, CA

#4 Dec 3, 2008
I hope our new mayor gets off the lap of City employee unions once in a while and keeps the tax payers needs in mind.

Since: Apr 08

Location hidden

#5 Dec 3, 2008
ROFL. Everyone just take a deeeeep breath. Hold it in! Breath. It's okay, the elections are over. You'll give yourself a coronary over the next two years.
Correction

United States

#6 Dec 3, 2008
Larry Wahl is beginning his third term on the council. Not his third year.
Why not

Roseville, CA

#7 Dec 3, 2008
Say Again Please wrote:
I hope our new mayor gets off the lap of City employee unions once in a while and keeps the tax payers needs in mind.
Off the city employee's lap? How bout off the fire department's lap? Not likely since they contributed to her campaign.

“Comedy Central Sways the Vote ”

Since: Nov 08

Chico California

#8 Dec 3, 2008
Randall Stone wrote:
ROFL. Everyone just take a deeeeep breath. Hold it in! Breath. It's okay, the elections are over. You'll give yourself a coronary over the next two years.
Randall is right- calm down- go watch some TV for 2 years- don't watch what elected government politico's are doing. Liberals are in complete control City,State and National and will handle everything perfect- just send us your paycheck.

Remember City Council is now "higher" than anybody on the street and thats no spun-I mean spin.
La Migra

AOL

#10 Dec 3, 2008
Ahhhhhhhhhh, more fodder for the cannon!
slammin211s

Chico, CA

#11 Dec 3, 2008
well this is a crying shame, if our town wasnt going down the tubes before, schwab is the final nail in the coffin in our following of vallejo

“All the news, all the time.”

Since: Dec 07

Chico, Calif.

#12 Dec 3, 2008
For the record, several off-topic posts containing unverified claims against a councilor have been deleted.

Some posters may be unhappy about the moderation of this discussion board. However, when you post here, you have agreed to follow this Web site's terms of service. Part of this includes the fact that moderators may remove inappropriate posts.

Ryan Olson
ChicoER.com

Since: Apr 08

Location hidden

#13 Dec 3, 2008
slammin211s wrote:
well this is a crying shame, if our town wasnt going down the tubes before, schwab is the final nail in the coffin in our following of vallejo
Actually Chico has made extraordinary progress on the budget since the current majority took over (including right up to the evening of this election). I for one am happy the fiscal conservatives are in charge rather than the spend to deficit group of Keene, Wahl, and Company.
stephens1949

United States

#14 Dec 3, 2008
The Left Wing Knows best wrote:
Great news
The new almost all ultra liberal City Council is in!
I have 300 tons of concrete, barb wire and medical waste I want to sell to City Council as Art. Only 2 Million dollars. Plan to put it in the middle of the 18th hole of Golf Course once they close it to. Plan to call it "Hazard Ahead" or "Schwab Hill"
Once taxes and fees are hiked we can cut police, fire and road maintenance and finish off downtown City park with more concrete and sleeping shelters around that large outdoor shower. Just think of all the new Park land we can buy in future to fence off- say Musty Buck reserve?
Of course removal of disc course comes first- as we need to fence the upper park. The City also needs to buy any of the large houses visable from the viewshed of the park to have as Homes for Mayor, City Council members,Bidwell Park and Playground commissioner, Dept of Evironment members and Friends of Park officials.That way Park will be protected and in officials minds.
Lots to do and not do(like not fund any park improvements voted for) as we march deeper into taxpayer and businesses wallet.
But first exemption for all taxes for anyone selling bikes in Chico
Please lets not forget how we can continue to place our children in BONDage by swallowing the hook of State allocations of RDA (Redevelopment funds). "RDA" it has such a sweet ring to it doesn't it. Just like the taste of Strychnine.
Frank

Rancho Cordova, CA

#15 Dec 3, 2008
Randall Stone wrote:
<quoted text>
Actually Chico has made extraordinary progress on the budget since the current majority took over (including right up to the evening of this election). I for one am happy the fiscal conservatives are in charge rather than the spend to deficit group of Keene, Wahl, and Company.
Maybe you should watch the council meetings and see which council members are leading us down the road to bankruptcy we are still up sh**t creek without a paddle.

Since: Apr 08

Location hidden

#16 Dec 3, 2008
Frank wrote:
<quoted text>
Maybe you should watch the council meetings and see which council members are leading us down the road to bankruptcy we are still up sh**t creek without a paddle.
Evidently you haven't been watching the council meetings for the past 4 years or you might have noticed that the projected deficit has been improving substantially since the current majority has been working on it. I might add that they even bested their own estimates (we're over a year and a half ahead of schedule in fixing the problems created by the council in 2000-2002). Pretty good for a down economy, without adding taxes, and with a fiscal crisis in the State as well as money grabs by the State.

I'd say that's crisis management and budget excellence. Great job, council!

Since: Apr 08

Location hidden

#17 Dec 3, 2008
stephens1949 wrote:
<quoted text>Please lets not forget how we can continue to place our children in BONDage by swallowing the hook of State allocations of RDA (Redevelopment funds). "RDA" it has such a sweet ring to it doesn't it. Just like the taste of Strychnine.
Strychnine is bitter tasting. And the state is not a big fan of redevelopment agencies. It actually causes them to LOSE money to the benefit of local cities. They aren't big fans of RDAs at all. So no hook necessary. RDAs are a creation of the municipalities through beleaguered state law (intended, among other things, to fix dilapidated conditions resulting from the switch to the interstate highway system's regional shift). The California Redevelopment Law was created in 1952. It was amended to limit its activities in 1993 and many times after that.

Again, the state isn't a big fan of RDAs because it costs them money. You might notice Arnold took $1.9 million from Chico's RDA this month (well actually November). We'll see how the courts rule on that one. But make no mistake about it. Arnold is taking $1.9 million that doesn't belong to him (belongs to the people of Chico) to fix the state budget.
stephens1949

Oroville, CA

#18 Dec 4, 2008
Randall Stone wrote:
<quoted text>
Strychnine is bitter tasting. And the state is not a big fan of redevelopment agencies. It actually causes them to LOSE money to the benefit of local cities. They aren't big fans of RDAs at all. So no hook necessary. RDAs are a creation of the municipalities through beleaguered state law (intended, among other things, to fix dilapidated conditions resulting from the switch to the interstate highway system's regional shift). The California Redevelopment Law was created in 1952. It was amended to limit its activities in 1993 and many times after that.
Again, the state isn't a big fan of RDAs because it costs them money. You might notice Arnold took $1.9 million from Chico's RDA this month (well actually November). We'll see how the courts rule on that one. But make no mistake about it. Arnold is taking $1.9 million that doesn't belong to him (belongs to the people of Chico) to fix the state budget.
Randall I am not biting. It may take another ten years for you and others to see what you say is not healthy, so try to stay healthy till that time comes, OK.(No this is not a threat) And so that the ER does not sensor this for being off topic, my intent is to make an issue of RDA so that the people of Chico can reflect on how our new mayor-es Mrs Schwab handles our ADDICTION relative to RDA and its tax burdening effect.

“Comedy Central Sways the Vote ”

Since: Nov 08

Chico California

#19 Dec 4, 2008
stephens1949 wrote:
<quoted text>Randall I am not biting. It may take another ten years for you and others to see what you say is not healthy, so try to stay healthy till that time comes, OK.(No this is not a threat) And so that the ER does not sensor this for being off topic, my intent is to make an issue of RDA so that the people of Chico can reflect on how our new mayor-es Mrs Schwab handles our ADDICTION relative to RDA and its tax burdening effect.
The City council seems to ignore addiction problems that are right in front of their faces.

But if it is best for the left-igmore it

“Comedy Central Sways the Vote ”

Since: Nov 08

Chico California

#20 Dec 4, 2008
ROlson wrote:
For the record, several off-topic posts containing unverified claims against a councilor have been deleted.
Some posters may be unhappy about the moderation of this discussion board. However, when you post here, you have agreed to follow this Web site's terms of service. Part of this includes the fact that moderators may remove inappropriate posts.
Ryan Olson
ChicoER.com
The moderator takes offensive post off- yet it is still there in my reply- I even reported myself as good citizen so post naming names would disappear from history- yet it is still there.

If you want to change history moderator you have to burn all the books repeating it. then the Ryans of the world will be happy with the revised world.

Since: Apr 08

Location hidden

#21 Dec 4, 2008
stephens1949 wrote:
<quoted text>Randall I am not biting. It may take another ten years for you and others to see what you say is not healthy, so try to stay healthy till that time comes, OK.(No this is not a threat) And so that the ER does not sensor this for being off topic, my intent is to make an issue of RDA so that the people of Chico can reflect on how our new mayor-es Mrs Schwab handles our ADDICTION relative to RDA and its tax burdening effect.
I'm not sure what you mean. But the RDA doesn't tax nor is it "tax burdening" in any stretch of the imagination. Redevelopment Law allows a local community to keep their property tax dollars local, rather than going to the State. It also allows the capitalization of an annuity (which is very commonly used in the investment and finance community to maximize the use of financial resources).

Now what a redevelopment agency DOES with that money is possibly a reasonable argument. But the blanket accusation that redevelopment law 1) increases taxes 2) has a tax burdening effect 3) is encouraged by the State 4) increases debt costs at high risk to long term financial stability (note long term) is wholly incorrect.

Whether the restrictions placed on redevelopment by the state (as well as the mandated set-asides) is an adequate argument regarding RDAs may be an appropriate discussion. But you might note that those restrictions are indicative of a State that is not exactly thrilled by the existence of Community Redevelopment Law.

That's all I'm saying as well.
stephens1949

United States

#22 Dec 4, 2008
WELL, Randall I have spent enough time in Asia to learn how to rotate all of you righting 180 degrees and read it from right to left, top to bottem giving all you say an appearance that what you write is completely opposite to my way of thinking, given our current social living situation maybe you should do as I have.
Do you actually expect people to believe what you seem to have written, Redevelopment (RDA)funds do not come out of tax payers incomes? Do you really believe taxes are not a burden, a burden of responsibility, a burden shouldered by everyone taking money away from every tax paying citizen and a product of big and complicated government, controlled by mayer's, counsels and bureaucrats. A BURDEN EXTENDED ON TO THE NEXT GENERATION, CAUSING THEM TO BE HELD IN BONDAGE. All so we can live in an eye candy world today.
Paradise lost

United States

#23 Dec 4, 2008
Randall Stone wrote:
Law allows a local community to keep their property tax dollars local, rather than going to the State.
That is a flat out lie. Property tax dollars never ever leave the county in which they are collected. The State receives no local property tax dollars ever. It is beyond ignorance to say so. It is an uncontrovertable fact and to say otherwise is a deliberate lie.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

The Nine Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Fitchburg council raises fine for violating sto... (Feb '15) Feb '15 Donny Brook 5
News Nine-year-old Lily releases album (Jan '11) Jan '13 MrFlames 6
News 2 shot dead outside Indianapolis night club (Jun '12) Aug '12 Alonzo X 23
News Troy, MO Latest To Ban Bath Salts Used As Drug (Jan '11) Sep '11 Phoenix 13
News Bath salts a dirty business (Jun '11) Jun '11 buddha blazer 27
News Worth wants Werner (Apr '11) Apr '11 Thank You 1
News Nine-year-old G'burg boy the new Prince of Pop? (Mar '11) Mar '11 Colorado Chick 45
More from around the web