Worth wants Werner

Worth wants Werner

There are 1 comment on the Oak Lawn/Evergreen Park Reporter story from Apr 6, 2011, titled Worth wants Werner. In it, Oak Lawn/Evergreen Park Reporter reports that:

The Voices of Worth Party has lost one of its voices, though which one as of late Tuesday night was unclear.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Oak Lawn/Evergreen Park Reporter.

Thank You

Plainfield, IL

#1 Apr 6, 2011
The Voices of Worth Party has lost one of its voices, though which one as of late Tuesday night was unclear.

Independent trustee candidate Mary Werner led all four candidates Tuesday with 27.98 percent of the vote in the Consolidated General Election. With four candidates running and only three seats available, Werner’s victory means either Karen Milligan or Mary Werner -- tied with 603 votes apiece (23.3 percent) when The Reporter went to press -- will lose her place on the village board.“Voices” running mate Pete Kats placed second with 25.4 percent, 658 votes.

“I’m on Cloud Nine,” Werner said Tuesday evening from a celebration at the Marrs-Meyer American Legion Post 991 in Worth. Werner said she was humbled to be the top vote getter among the candidates.

“I’m grateful that that many people have confidence in my abilities,” she added. Werner added one of the first things she plans to do is to look into the more than $1 million spent for the reconstruction of Oak Park Avenue in 2009.

Werner ran her campaign as an outsider looking in and an Independent voice. Her campaign slogan,“Vote for One,” encouraged voters to vote only her and not cast a vote for any of the three Voices of Worth candidates. She reasoned during the campaign that casting only one vote for her was to cast a whole vote for her, not just one-third of a vote.

“I can’t wait until I can go to village hall and look into things without having to FOIA everything,” Werner said.

Trustee Pete Kats, elected to his second term, called his re-election bittersweet when he realized Werner’s victory meant either Rhein or Milligan would not be returning to the board. Still, he called the results “the voice of the people” and wished his new village board teammate well. Kats was the village’s most popular ballot choice when he ran the first time in 2007, collecting 783 votes. Rhein collected the second highest total four years ago.

“Congratulations to Mary Werner for running a good campaign and for getting the most votes,” Kats said Tuesday night.

Neither Mary Rhein nor Karen Milligan, still locked up in a 603 to 603 tie when The Reporter went to press Tuesday night, returned phone call requests for interviews.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

The Nine Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Fitchburg council raises fine for violating sto... (Feb '15) Feb '15 Donny Brook 5
News Nine-year-old Lily releases album (Jan '11) Jan '13 MrFlames 6
News 2 shot dead outside Indianapolis night club (Jun '12) Aug '12 Alonzo X 23
News Troy, MO Latest To Ban Bath Salts Used As Drug (Jan '11) Sep '11 Phoenix 13
News Bath salts a dirty business (Jun '11) Jun '11 buddha blazer 27
News Nine-year-old G'burg boy the new Prince of Pop? (Mar '11) Mar '11 Colorado Chick 45
News County OKs plans for amusement park across from... (Mar '11) Mar '11 destroyerman 1
More from around the web