Public works spending may revive WNC again

Clarke Morrison * CMorrison@CITIZEN-TIMES.com * published January 25, 2009 12:15 am President Barack Obama's plan to revive the economy with sweeping public works projects will find familiar ground in Western ... Full Story
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
landlover

Glenside, PA

#22 Jan 25, 2009
Badger wrote:
How about fixing the water mains around A'ville instead of building more roads? And how about having Amtrak come through here instead of encouraging more gridlock on the roads?
Amtrak should extend its rail service to the Mt.'S that was my first question when coming here. Where is the closest train station? People told me south Carolina. we have rail tracks running through Marshall why not a commuter train?.

Talk to VP Biden the train rider! put it in the forever plan! My brother in law works for Amtrack he makes excellect money painting the metal, any one can do that, also the government basically pays the bills.
Marvin Poop

Greenville, SC

#23 Jan 25, 2009
I make just 3K more than screeching Kate Dreher. This is humiliating.

http://bonifide.us/NCSALARIES.HTM

“Have chainsaw, will travel ”

Since: Nov 08

Marion, NC

#24 Jan 26, 2009
BIBROC wrote:
<quoted text> Republican lie ??????
http://www.cato.org/pub_display.php...
A "libertarian" quasi-academic think-tank which acts as a mouthpiece for the globalism, corporatism, and neoliberalism of its corporate and conservative funders. Cato is an astroturf organization: there is no significant participation by the tiny libertarian minority. They do not fund it or affect its goals. It is a creature of corporations and foundations.

The major purpose of the Cato Institute is to provide propaganda and soundbites for conservative and libertarian politicians and journalists that is conveniently free of reference to funders such as tobacco, fossil fuel, investment, media, medical, and other regulated industries.

Cato is one of the most blatant examples of "simulated rationality", as described in Phil Agre's The Crisis of Public Reason. Arguments need only be plausibly rational to an uninformed listener. Only a tiny percentage will notice that they are being mislead. That's all that's needed to manage public opinion.
As I typed another re-bub-lican Lie!
Kaibab

Matthews, NC

#25 Jan 26, 2009
Granny wrote:
Wonderful, Mr./Ms. Kaibab!!! Wish you were hundreds-strong in D.C. I don't believe those nice people up there are thinking straight. Whenever I see a boarded up plant, I think how great it would be to see our area (and country) booming again.
Please contact your government reps. We need real jobs that will help the middle class, not temp jobs to repair trails. We must built-up our manufacturing base for this country to start the uphill fight out of this fiasco.

“Have chainsaw, will travel ”

Since: Nov 08

Marion, NC

#26 Jan 26, 2009
alekas wrote:
what a huge pantload of left wing ridiculousness. Public works spending NEVER leads to prosperity; it just leads to bigger govt. Prosperity and job creation come from the private sector, and the best means of fostering that is tax cuts, whether that is corporate tax rates, individual rates, or cap gains rates.
The contention that The New Deal ended the Depression is flat wrong. It prolonged the Depression and those involved in the spending knew it.
As it is, the stimulus package includes things like computers for teachers, which will stimulate nothing. It is allowing for states that have mismanaged their finances to belly up to the federal trough so that they can dig a little deeper. Only in govt is the concept of fiscal discipline a non-starter.
and no, Skip, that WW2 ended the Depression rather than FDRs spending orgy is not a Repub lie, it is cold hard reality. Look at unemployment rates and see how long after the spree began that they stayed above 15 or 20%. And most of us already pitch in through what is deducted from our checks, through the checks we write quarterly, and from spending we do with vendors and in hte community.
Tax cuts for the wealthy class is what got us into this mess. Reagans tax cuts had the same effect on our economy but unlike Bush2, Bush1 had the good sense to raise taxes and stave off a depression.

Turning back to the initial statement—"The New Deal didn't end the Great Depression, World War II ended the Great Depression"—technically speaking, it is true. The American economic landscape was not overtly healthy even as late as 1939. Millions of people were still out of work, and the $20 billion dollars of New Deal deficit spending seemed to have done little more than keep the economy barely afloat. But what was well in place by 1939 was a newly regenerated American capitalism. With banking and investment safeguards in place as well as a better organized relationship between capital and labor, the nation was completely ready to emerge as an economically thriving industrial world power overnight. If the New Deal did not immediately end the Great Depression, it put America on a foundation well ready for its demise.

And that's the rest of the story!

“Resist”

Since: Apr 09

Bryson City

#27 Apr 3, 2009
And here we are, 3 months from the last post and already $3.5 trillion further in debt, and what projects have been started? Another 3 million are out of work. Local, state and federal taxes are increasing. You energy bill increase by 150% due to cap and trade. No project has been started. NC unemployment is 10.1% and increasing.

The Federal Reserve is buying debt from the US Treasury. Buying our own debt! There are no longer any net purchasers of treasuries, and a democratic Congress approved this insanity. Of course Republicans had their chance and blew it. Remember that government has no money, they have your money.
Think of that everytime you say "we need..." Someone must pay for every "we need..."

Alternative energy? Surely you don't imagine environmentalists will allow wind turbines placed in the mountains? They blocked solar projects in the desert. Wind and solar do not have the energy density to provide all our needs. 2 year minmium wait time on wind turbines 4mw or larger. They are not made in the US.

We are in deep trouble.
GhostLizard

Asheville, NC

#28 Apr 4, 2009
Jackson Girl wrote:
Every time I drive under the Blue Ridge Parkway bridge at Balsam Gap I am reminded of all Franklin Delano Roosevelt did to improve these mountains and put people back to work. We must use bold thinking to do the same thing again with President Obama's leadership.
Where would you like to build BRP#2 ? Not thru any government land for sure, right?
GhostLizard

Asheville, NC

#29 Apr 4, 2009
AUDIT the Federal Reserve NOW! All the way back to 1913! See how many trillions have been GIVEN to foreign banks!

This wonderful proposal now has 55+ co sponsors in the US House. Compel Heath Shuler to co sponsor also! AUDIT the Federal Reserve - a PRIVATE organization that needs examination.

View the latest 3.5 minute video posted at

www.CampaignforLiberty.org
Hawcreekbob

United States

#30 Apr 4, 2009
If i had any input i would of suggested bringing back a trolley system. You know nothing huge just a few cars on the most popular lines that serve tourist destinations. That would of been quite a project and created jobs to boot.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

The New Deal Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
The New Deal Goes South (Jul '13) Jul '13 Terry 1
Wonkblog book club: "Fear Itself" (Jul '13) Jul '13 Holly 1
'New Deal' on hep C (Mar '13) Mar '13 Zellers pharmacy 1
The Taliban vs. Teenage Girl, Richard Hell, The... (Mar '13) Mar '13 Alex 1
Political Book Club: A Reading List (Mar '13) Mar '13 Dean 1
Wynne Liberals plan to continue ONTC fire sale (Mar '13) Mar '13 Dean 1
Book review: 'The Great Deformation: The Corrup... (Mar '13) Mar '13 Dean 1
More from around the web