On this Day: ‘Black Tuesday’ Stock Ma...

On this Day: ‘Black Tuesday’ Stock Market Crash Ushers in Great Depression

There are 50 comments on the www.findingdulcinea.com story from Oct 29, 2008, titled On this Day: ‘Black Tuesday’ Stock Market Crash Ushers in Great Depression. In it, www.findingdulcinea.com reports that:

On Oct. 29, 1929, the New York Stock Exchange closed down 12.8 percent, marking the end of the Bull Market of the 1920s and the beginning of the Great Depression.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at www.findingdulcinea.com.

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Horace Richter

Lenni, PA

#1 Oct 29, 2008
I remember this day (yes, I am Old with a capital O). It was horrifying. I hope we are never in a situation like this again.
Ursula B

Lenni, PA

#2 Oct 29, 2008
Eerily familiar in too many of the details. My father (who lived through it) always said it could never happen again, but here we are, on the brink...or are we?
porter

Lenni, PA

#3 Oct 29, 2008
the state of the economy these days makes the question inevitable: could it happen again?
Erik

Lenni, PA

#4 Oct 29, 2008
My very old and elderly history teacher was going through an econ lesson and when this subject came up, he teared up.
John

Lenni, PA

#5 Oct 29, 2008
Every society goes through cycles of good times and bad times, and my friends, we've been having too good of a time.
Luigi

Lenni, PA

#6 Oct 29, 2008
I wish 2000-2008 was as fun as the Roaring 20s...crazy flappers and their hats.
Jenny

Lenni, PA

#7 Oct 29, 2008
Well, isn't it ironic, don't you think?
Gertrude

Bellport, NY

#8 Oct 29, 2008
I wonder how many factors that caused such a disaster were repeated this year.
Mike

Lenni, PA

#9 Oct 29, 2008
This reminds me of the George Santayana quote, "Those who forget history are condemned to repeat it."
Jeremy

Lenni, PA

#10 Oct 29, 2008
What's that saying about how the more things change, the more they stay the same?
Hardy Boy

Lenni, PA

#11 Oct 29, 2008
It's sad that it takes another financial collapse to gives us an appreciation of the previous one. When I was learning about Black Tuesday in school it seemed so remote and hard to imagine. Reading about it again today, I understand it in a whole new context, and truly see how an economy can get carried away on credit and speculation, only to come crashing back down to reality (almost) all at once.
Louise

Lenni, PA

#12 Oct 29, 2008
I think the Depression as desperate as the period was economically was a powerful time for art and literature. Karen Hesse's "Out of the Dust" is a great book for middle schoolers and Dortothea Lange's photographs bring you closer to the suffering of that period than perhaps anything can.
Tiny T

Portland, OR

#13 Oct 29, 2008
Well, we came out of the great depression okay after a while, if that is any kind of comfort.
Billy Joel

Lenni, PA

#14 Oct 29, 2008
Mike wrote:
This reminds me of the George Santayana quote, "Those who forget history are condemned to repeat it."
Why should I care about what some dead guy has to say?
jelly belly

Houston, TX

#15 Oct 29, 2008
i wonder what kind of parallels were drawn on oct 29, 2001... and where we'll be oct 29, 2009...
Self-Made Woman

Lenni, PA

#16 Oct 29, 2008
Buying stocks on borrowed money--who woulda thought that might be a bad idea??
Colleen

Portland, OR

#18 Oct 29, 2008
A scary time, indeed, mirroring today's situation--a horrible time to assume the presidency in this country...
BettyB

Laramie, WY

#19 Oct 29, 2008
It's just awful to think that some people may live through two Depressions.
Danielle Du Bois

New York, NY

#20 Oct 29, 2008
Greedy banks lending mortgages to struggling people from the nation's interior; hipsters into jazz; market peaking a year before extreme volatility...all the pieces parallel--except for the Fed stepping in this time around. Economists from Keynes to Friedman would agree the pending bailout was a fortuitous move.
kitty raper

United States

#21 Nov 12, 2008
ilove kittens tight butholes

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

The New Deal Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News The New Deal Goes South (Jul '13) Jul '13 Terry 1
News Wonkblog book club: "Fear Itself" (Jul '13) Jul '13 Holly 1
News 'New Deal' on hep C (Mar '13) Mar '13 Zellers pharmacy 1
News The Taliban vs. Teenage Girl, Richard Hell, The... (Mar '13) Mar '13 Alex 1
News Political Book Club: A Reading List (Mar '13) Mar '13 Dean 1
News Wynne Liberals plan to continue ONTC fire sale (Mar '13) Mar '13 Dean 1
News Book review: 'The Great Deformation: The Corrup... (Mar '13) Mar '13 Dean 1
More from around the web