Monterey Bay Blues Festival ends with quiet note

Full story: Monterey County Herald

The Neville Brothers close the main stage with Aaron Neville on vocals at the 24th Monterey Bay Blues Festival in Monterey on Sunday.

Comments

Showing posts 1 - 3 of3
CMarie

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 29, 2009

What is there not to love about the Neville Brothers? Aaron's voice was angelic. But, Mac McDonald is right. The crowd wasn't as enthusiast as it has been in the past. I think the festival line-up is tired. The Board was brave last year in getting new acts. They must have gotten feedback from their loyal older Bay Area fans that didn't like the changes. I loved the changes. There were a lot of highlights this year. Sunday evening's "Blues in the Schools" led by Dennis Murphy was one of them. The Festival needs new blood in their acts and on their Board. I will renew my season tickets next year, but I will be wary of the line-up. If it's the same old stuff, I'll sell the tickets. I attended the Santa Cruz Blues Festival Memorial Day Weekend and was blown away by all of the new talent mixed in with the old. I can only guess that their Board was willing to take more chances with their talent. Or, could it be that they can transcend the racial barrier easier than the Monterey Board can do? The music is the inspiration. The racial demographic should not determine who is talented and who deserves to be enjoyed. This post will not be popular with the "politically correct police", but it is the opinion of someone who has been with Monterey Festival from the beginning.
Stratfire 449

Salinas, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 3, 2009

Amen CMarie, well said...this bleary lineup had no draw for me aside from the Nevilles....bringing in Joe Bonamassa last year was the kind of booking this festival needs and he was a stone hit...C'mon Monterey....you can do better than this...and from what I hear, the numbers were down...perhaps that is what will get their attention...
Noah

Salinas, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 9, 2009

CMarie wrote:
I loved the changes. There were a lot of highlights this year. Sunday evening's "Blues in the Schools" led by Dennis Murphy was one of them. The Festival needs new blood in their acts and on their Board.
Thanks, im glad you enjoyed the blues in the schools show, i was one of the singers i hoped to make at least a little impact

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 1 - 3 of3
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent The Neville Brothers Discussions

Search the The Neville Brothers Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
VIDEO: Telluride to host Red, White and Blues c... (Jun '12) Jun '12 hi yu 1
Bayfront Blues Festival a day shorter, but not ... (Aug '09) Aug '09 DeadMoney 2
The Neville Brothers appearance at Monterey Bay... (Jun '09) Jun '09 CMarie 1
Festival riles City Park residents (Apr '08) Apr '08 Andrew 1
Funky Meters return to N.O., but still no sign ... (May '07) May '07 j2feathers 1
The Sweet Soul of Aaron Neville (Oct '06) Oct '06 Monique Revellese 1
Neville to Replace Ronstadt (Aug '06) Aug '06 daisy Bobb 2
•••
•••
•••
•••
•••
•••