Broward County Tuskegee Airman to rec...

Broward County Tuskegee Airman to receive Congressional Gold Medal

There are 31 comments on the South Florida Sun-Sentinel story from Mar 26, 2007, titled Broward County Tuskegee Airman to receive Congressional Gold Medal. In it, South Florida Sun-Sentinel reports that:

Retired Lt. Col. Leo Gray learned to fly a plane during World War II, when the U.S. military was segregated and war officials said blacks lacked the brains and courage to be airmen.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at South Florida Sun-Sentinel.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
MIke

Atlanta, GA

#30 Mar 27, 2007
WOW!
Heroes

East Berlin, CT

#31 Mar 27, 2007
Sick of It wrote:
every post except yours was intelligent and correct. These men do deserve recognition...but surely you are aware of the parameters that are required for the Medal of Honor. just being there is'nt enough. Read some history <quoted text>
These men, sir...deserve the Medal Of Honor, not for fighting in WWII...but for enduring the racism of their country and of their fellow AMERICANS....the same people they fought to defend and protect....sir.
Sista

United States

#32 Mar 27, 2007
Sounds to me like they were not just good enough but even "better" than their white counterparts. Lets put the past behind for now and celebrate them!
Harry the Infidel

Boca Raton, FL

#34 Mar 27, 2007
Its long overdue. Congratulations to all the men that served our country for our liberty and that of the civilized world. They are finally getting the recognition they deserved for so many years.
Tony

Boca Raton, FL

#36 Mar 27, 2007
I can't wait until the Tuskegee Airfield Museum is completed in Tuskegee, Alabama. It's worth the trip now, even more when completed.
Involved Broward Resident

West Palm Beach, FL

#37 Mar 27, 2007
Captain Arnold Tolbert wrote:
Thanks for shedding that light on the accomplishments of the Tuskeegee Airmen. I have been a commercial pilot with American Airlines for 20 years and I proudly stand on the shoulders of those brave and talented Black aviators.
Captain I have had you to come out to speak to some of my children at school and they were so proud to have met you. You are making the Tuskegee Airmen proud as well..Keep up the good work!
BILL

Auburn Hills, MI

#38 Mar 27, 2007
THANK YOU MR. GRAY FOR SERVING OUR COUNTRY. YOU ARE A HERO AND DESERVE MORE THAN THE MEDAL YOU WILL RECEIVE. GOD BLESS YOU SIR.
Phantom

United States

#39 Mar 27, 2007
About Time. Long past due. This is someone the homies should look up to, not the rappers! Lt.Col Gray OUTSTANDING.
Lou Kugell Connecticut

AOL

#40 Mar 27, 2007
Congratulations to Lt. Col. Gray--- Long overdue.
I soloed in 1958 and am an
airplane affectionato.You are one of my heros--I have a picture of the Tuskegee group under the glass on my desk. Thank you for your honorable service to our country.I think the only color that counts is the wild BLUE yonder
I would feel honored to hear from you should you read this comment.
Rev Marvin E Purser Jr

Miami, FL

#41 Mar 27, 2007
The only difference between a white hero and a black one is a very thin line of melanin from head to toe.

I am so glad we white boys finally joined the human race.

What a horrible insult, the wait and the denial.

Now we can sing: "Jesus loves the little children, all the children of the world; red and yellow, black and white, they are precious in his sight, Jesus loves the little children of the world

Instead of Jesus loves some of the children, some of the children of the world; Anglo-Saxon, pure and white, they are precious in his sight, Jesus loves some of the children of the world.

I wonder if there are still some of those prejudice people around and I wonder if they would, on their potential death beds, accept a pint of blood from the American Red Cross taken from the veins of a black man.

Their ancestors should have been arrested for bestiality for having children from slaves after assuming those same black women were "just animals."

We've come a long way, Baby!-Sad,"we melting pot freedom-loving Americans" chose to take the trip!

“Beyond all comprehension”

Since: Dec 06

The Moon

#42 Mar 28, 2007
Phantom wrote:
About Time. Long past due. This is someone the homies should look up to, not the rappers! Lt.Col Gray OUTSTANDING.
I agree. If some of the kids were cognizant of some of the things achieved by prior generations , they might be inspired like the Barrington Irving guy. I hope more inner city youth realize his dream.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

The Mustangs Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Mistake Costs Monte Vista (Nov '06) Nov '06 mvparent 1
mustangs (Nov '06) Nov '06 mvparent 1
mustangs (Nov '06) Nov '06 rob 1
football (Nov '06) Nov '06 eddie young johnson 1
More from around the web