Broward County Tuskegee Airman to rec...

Broward County Tuskegee Airman to receive Congressional Gold Medal

There are 31 comments on the South Florida Sun-Sentinel story from Mar 26, 2007, titled Broward County Tuskegee Airman to receive Congressional Gold Medal. In it, South Florida Sun-Sentinel reports that:

Retired Lt. Col. Leo Gray learned to fly a plane during World War II, when the U.S. military was segregated and war officials said blacks lacked the brains and courage to be airmen.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at South Florida Sun-Sentinel.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
JJJ

Miami, FL

#1 Mar 27, 2007
I was fortunate enough to meet Mr. Gray. He is a gentleman and he has great stories to tell. The world could use a few more Leo Gray's.

“Beyond all comprehension”

Since: Dec 06

The Moon

#2 Mar 27, 2007
Skin color means nothing. A fighter pilot is a fighter pilot. I'd love to listen to his stories.
A BLACK CONSERVATIVE

Henderson, NV

#3 Mar 27, 2007
I count myself as one of those lucky enough to meet Lt.Col. Gray. A gracious and classy man.This nation can be grateful that men like himm answered the call of duty.
APR

United States

#4 Mar 27, 2007
congratulations Lt Col Gray.... well done. It is about time!
Blade

Miami, FL

#5 Mar 27, 2007
Congratulation on a career and job well done Colonel Gray.
a soldiers mom

Pompano Beach, FL

#6 Mar 27, 2007
God Bless you, it's about time, it took a too long but congratulations just the same
ChurchLady

Capitol Heights, MD

#9 Mar 27, 2007
Long overdue!
Greg

United States

#10 Mar 27, 2007
WOW! Even now they won't give these heros their actual medals - only replicas. Why not put the replica in the museum and give them the real deal? Must be because people still don't trust them to be able to handle something of value. Pretty pathetic in this day and age. Way to go politicians.
A Wise Native

United States

#12 Mar 27, 2007
I agree. The recognition is long overdue. Thank you for your sacrifice.
Tom

Phoenix, AZ

#13 Mar 27, 2007
Why were these national heros not awarded THE CONGRESSIONAL MEDAL OF HONOR, which is a military award for extreme bravery in action? I rather think WWII qualifies...these heros certainly do.
Sick of It

Pompano Beach, FL

#14 Mar 27, 2007
every post except yours was intelligent and correct. These men do deserve recognition...but surely you are aware of the parameters that are required for the Medal of Honor. just being there is'nt enough. Read some history
Tom wrote:
Why were these national heros not awarded THE CONGRESSIONAL MEDAL OF HONOR, which is a military award for extreme bravery in action? I rather think WWII qualifies...these heros certainly do.
Captain Arnold Tolbert

Boca Raton, FL

#15 Mar 27, 2007
Thanks for shedding that light on the accomplishments of the Tuskeegee Airmen. I have been a commercial pilot with American Airlines for 20 years and I proudly stand on the shoulders of those brave and talented Black aviators.
Swamp Kat

Fort Lauderdale, FL

#16 Mar 27, 2007
I remember the great movie about them a few years ago.
Never new any of them lived down here. Sure would like to meet him and shake his hand. Has anyone ever thought about him speaking to school children?{Just an idea}
Kathi

United States

#17 Mar 27, 2007
Thank god they didn't listen to those White Devils.
CAVALIER

Fort Lauderdale, FL

#18 Mar 27, 2007
Brave indeed, to fight a war like that then having to come back home to racism. thank you
RACE

Miami, FL

#19 Mar 27, 2007
Colonel Gray....America salutes you!
CongoTom

Rutland, VT

#20 Mar 27, 2007
Amazing. 15 posts and not one racist rant! Congratulations SoFlo
Mixed Feelings

Hialeah, FL

#21 Mar 27, 2007
Yes, I am THRILLED that these retired pilots are finally getting their due but DAMN, that is such a long time. This man is 82. Was the government waiting for them to die b/f finally recognizing them???
Congratulations to all the pilots and soldiers who risked their lives right along w/ all the others only to come home to a racist society. The freedom they fought to give others wasn't even bestowed upon them. To endure all that and not be bitter ...Now, that's a REAL hero!!!!
ken

Miami, FL

#22 Mar 27, 2007
Flew over 15,000 sorties and never lost an allied bomber!!!! Wow, awesome guys!!!! Congrats!!
RED BARON

Fort Lauderdale, FL

#29 Mar 27, 2007
While my father (German infantry) was on the receiving end of the US bombing runs, I respect and congratulate Mr Gray and his colleagues on their marvelous accomplishments. It was one thing for them to serve our country with great courage and honor. It was entirely another to risk their lives at a time when our country turned their back on them and their families. I thank them all for their courage and determination to do what was right despite all odds.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

The Mustangs Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Mistake Costs Monte Vista (Nov '06) Nov '06 mvparent 1
mustangs (Nov '06) Nov '06 mvparent 1
mustangs (Nov '06) Nov '06 rob 1
football (Nov '06) Nov '06 eddie young johnson 1
More from around the web