Mavericks contest window open January-March

Full story: Santa Cruz Sentinel

The Mavericks Surf Contest lives on for another year. Contest Director Jeff Clark has announced that the official contest window will open on Jan.
Comments
1 - 18 of 18 Comments Last updated Dec 24, 2008
Black Hole

Fremont, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 22, 2008

Bring it on.
Toll_Free

Tehachapi, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 22, 2008

So, let's see...

It's a contest the fans can't come see, they want them to line up either at home or 50 or so miles away. Yeah, that's going to happen.

It's a contest with no set start time (as in the past, hasn't been a big detatchment for that). Makes it easy to plan around.

It's a contest with no set sponsors. Yeah, that's a good moneymaker.

Mavericks, see ya later. This will be the first of the last 5 at most. People don't really care about who can
catch the best wave, when their house and car are being foreclosed on.

--Toll_Free

“Pearls before swine”

Since: Mar 08

Santa Cruz, CA.

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 22, 2008

RESPONSE TO TOLL FREE: Hey man, you watch the contest on your computer! I've done it for the past few years and it was terrific. Interest in surfing has been steadily increasing so that there is worldwide interest in it. I don't see that going away any time soon.

As a sport, surfing is especially valuable as surfers compete against the waves and against their best rides rather than against other surfers in most cases. Mavericks brings out the best big wave riders, to wow us all. Note that NONE of them come from "Surf City USA" also called Huntington Beach. What's up with that?
Caelum Sinclair

Aptos, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 22, 2008

Toll_Free wrote:
So, let's see...
It's a contest the fans can't come see, they want them to line up either at home or 50 or so miles away. Yeah, that's going to happen.
It's a contest with no set start time (as in the past, hasn't been a big detatchment for that). Makes it easy to plan around.
Mavericks, see ya later. This will be the first of the last 5 at most. People don't really care about who can
--Toll_Free
Yeh. That's why there was no sports, music, movies or books during the 1930s - people just didn't want that kind of silly diversion.
the dog

San Jose, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 22, 2008

Toll Free is a dummy. A square turd, he has way to many corners and edges. He needs to go stand on the other side of the play area by himself.
Deep in the pocket

Newark, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 22, 2008

Toll_Free wrote:
So, let's see...
--Toll_Free
Who is this Barney
who cares

San Jose, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 22, 2008

Invitational?. What ever happened to sign up, surf heats and let the best man win. Not the best man invited.
slightly salty

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 22, 2008

yeah i agree it should be open to all over 18 who dare to surf it that day, just make em all sign a waiver, they prolly all do anyway.
drug testing

Santa Cruz, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 22, 2008

drug test at the harbor before you go out to your heat.
How did this happen

Mountain View, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 22, 2008

Zach Wormhoudt Santa Cruz.
Oh yea his mommy probably helped him.
_SC Pops_

Watsonville, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 22, 2008

How did this happen wrote:
Zach Wormhoudt Santa Cruz.
Oh yea his mommy probably helped him.
Are you SERIOUS? Zach has bigger balls than you can even dream about. He's one of the best local surfers around--the bigger the waves, the better he surfs.
slightly salty

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 23, 2008

elephantitus wrote:
By the way we just had another local get blown in half in Mosul, he was 25. Now those are men who are brave.
I am wondering if you can tell us who from here lost their life in Mosul recently. I checked the DOD casualty report and it does not show any locals so far. But it takes time for new deaths to show up there. Of course the brave folks putting their lives on the line every day in Iraq and Afghanistan deserve our respect, but that has nothing to do with the Mavericks contest, which is a sports activity. Even so, it's true that some people do tend to get carried away with the importance of that contest and with big wave surfing in general. There are many types of bravery, and many everyday acts of bravery go unrecognized.
tikis friend-karen

Santa Cruz, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 23, 2008

wow, chill people... let the surfers surf. it's incredible. if you don't want to watch or go, then don't, it's as easy as that. hope their waves are awesome ! enjoy. xoxo
black and blue heart

Union City, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 23, 2008

slightly salty wrote:
<quoted text>
There are many types of bravery, and many everyday acts of bravery go unrecognized.
Yeah. Try facing my wife down after a good bachelor party. Now THAT takes bravery!! Boo Ya
tikis friend-karen

Santa Cruz, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 23, 2008

black and blue? damn... good thing there's only one bachelor party theoretically.
black and blue heart

Union City, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 23, 2008

tikis friend-karen wrote:
black and blue?****... good thing there's only one bachelor party theoretically.
The one I was remembering was when my wife's sister got married. It's an event better discussed in Cops and Courts than here.

I know Maverick's in ways very few people know it. I'm not much into competition surfing, but if one is going to have a world-class event there's no better place. I'm glad they put together the 30-bone winner's purse.
coastsider

Palo Alto, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 23, 2008

Zach rips! Stoked for the Coastsiders Ion Banner and Tim West to get to surf in a contest in their home town. They both deserve it. Watch for Ben Andrews to go big.
Zachs large sack

Mountain View, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 24, 2008

Dude. Zachs my bro. He represents the W/S and is a killer big wave surfer. He is the epitome of local big wave riders. Go zach we all pullen for ya dude. Killer. Gnarly. Bitch'n. Stoked. Yea now. Valley GO home. Locals rule. Save the Surf Museum. Surf City or die.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent The Mavericks Discussions

Search the The Mavericks Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
Video: Where was John Kerry? (Jul '13) Jul '13 John Kerry Wind Surfer 2
Destination America Announces Grammy and The Ma... (Jul '13) Jul '13 RLong 1
Michael Guerra Band receives great reception at... (Jun '13) Jun '13 May 1
New Music We Love: David Bowie, Susan Boyle, Br... (May '13) May '13 tigger31086 1
Scoop: the Tonight Show with Jay Leno on NBC - ... (Feb '13) Feb '13 Sarah jane 1
EU ministers meet to solve Spain crisis (Jul '12) Jul '12 neobyzantine 1
2011 Dallas Mavericks Championship Replica Rings (Feb '12) Feb '12 MFA Exclusives 2
•••
•••
•••
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••