380 ACP Pistols: Ruger's New LCP Wins...

380 ACP Pistols: Ruger's New LCP Wins Against PPK, Taurus

There are 154 comments on the Gun Tests story from May 27, 2008, titled 380 ACP Pistols: Ruger's New LCP Wins Against PPK, Taurus. In it, Gun Tests reports that:

Have it all for $2 a month Access to our entire online library, monthly print reports, five downloadable buying guides, even save your favorite gun reviews in one place.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Gun Tests.

First Prev
of 8
Next Last
Ken

Lakeland, FL

#1 Nov 10, 2008
Ruger is pure junk, company does not stand behnd their product and just make excuses. Now a recall on the LCP 380
Ken

Lakeland, FL

#2 Nov 10, 2008
Warn people when they came out, but everyone was in a hurry to get one, now suffer

“American Sheepdog”

Since: Nov 07

Location hidden

#3 Nov 15, 2008
The Ruger LCP is undergoing a massive recall as of late October, early November.

Bersa has a much better .380 ACP gun. Lifetime warranty.

“American Sheepdog”

Location hidden

#4 Nov 15, 2008
Ken wrote:
Warn people when they came out, but everyone was in a hurry to get one, now suffer
Was gonna get one of those for my wife for her carry gun, but common sense kicked in and realizing it was a new model decided to wait. Got her a Smith and Wesson Model 60 J-Frame (.38/.357) instead. Much better gun.
terryg

Overland Park, KS

#5 Nov 24, 2008
The Ruger LCP is a great concealed carry pistol and is worth the wait. The factory deserves credit for making an improvement for safety. Go ahead and complain all you want and get some cheaper version of this gun. Or, bitch about the size of the caliber and talk all you want about the merits of the 9mm, 40, or 45. Stuff one of these larger calibers in your saddle or in your pocket and enjoy the comfort. While waiting for my two Rugers, I bought two stainless Sig P232's for target, home defense, and concealed carry. ALL the other pocket pistols, with the exception of the LCP, are, in my opinion, just second rate in comparison! Be grateful that the LCP is eventually coming and will be shipping in early December.
Memories from Maine

Windham, ME

#6 Nov 25, 2008
Sounds like factory spam to me.
terryg

Overland Park, KS

#7 Dec 1, 2008
I think the concealed carry pistol standard up in Maine is the .44 Mag. It can be carried in overalls, camo business suits, and even attached behind the antlers in THE PICK-UP TRUCK, or as they call, THE VEHICLE.

I'll stick with decent pocket pistols.
Gunner from Gettysburg

Harrisburg, PA

#8 Jan 12, 2009
Allow some break in time with the LCP. There were quite a few feed problems when I fired the first 50 rounds with the pistol coming straight out of the box. Then I did some lubing and fired another 100 rounds. It worked fine.

Because of its size, it makes for a great carry gun. That larger 9mm or .38 isn't sitting at home isn't much good if you don't have it with you when you need it. The LCP is small enough so that you will take it everywhere.

The .380 is not the best defensive caliber out there but with hollow points it should give you all the close range protection you could need.
Federalist

Stamford, CT

#9 Jan 16, 2009
I wanted to buy a pistol that could be hidden just about anywhere, so I started comparing the Ruger LCP and the Kel-Tec P3AT. After holding the two in my hand and reading loads of reviews, I bought the P3AT just before the LCP was recalled.....I've been to the range several times since then, fired about 12 boxes of ammo through the P3AT, and have not had a single malfunction of any kind. The pistol is accurate, inexpensive, easy to break down and most importantly, highly reliable. The P3AT is 11 ounces (loaded) and can be carried in your front pocket without creating *another* massive, visible bulge.

Another important detail - Kel-Tec is an American company and the P3AT is made on these American shores. They also offer lifetime warranties for all their firearms. You can't go wrong.

Highly recommended.
Federalist

Stamford, CT

#10 Jan 16, 2009
Gunner from Gettysburg wrote:
The .380 is not the best defensive caliber out there but with hollow points it should give you all the close range protection you could need.
True, but please remember the first rule of the gunfight: have a gun.

If you were to purchase either the Ruger LCP or the Kel-Tec P3AT, you'd have a gun that you could carry everywhere and not even know it was there.

Have a gun!

“Veritas vincit. Truth Conquers”

Since: Mar 07

Nunquam redono. Never give up

#11 Jan 16, 2009
Trin Tragula wrote:
The Ruger LCP is undergoing a massive recall as of late October, early November.
Bersa has a much better .380 ACP gun. Lifetime warranty.
I own a bersa .380 it has been a very good one never had any problems.

I do like my Charter .44 Bulldog it is close to the same size a bit heaver but conceals easily with a lot more punch.

For fun shooting my Glock 9mm is good.

“ALL AMERICAN”

Since: Aug 08

Long Beach, CA

#12 Jan 16, 2009
feedup wrote:
<quoted text>
I own a bersa .380 it has been a very good one never had any problems.
I do like my Charter .44 Bulldog it is close to the same size a bit heaver but conceals easily with a lot more punch.
For fun shooting my Glock 9mm is good.
380 is a gun made for girls
Marty

Wichita, KS

#13 Jan 16, 2009
It tooki me a while to get used to my PPK/S. Break in, get a feed problem fixed, then get used to the safety. Now, for me, it's 100% reliable. Dressed it up with faux-ivory grips, and I don't need a replacement.
As a side note, the new Ruger LCR (revolver) is more interesting than the LCP.

“Veritas vincit. Truth Conquers”

Since: Mar 07

Nunquam redono. Never give up

#14 Jan 16, 2009
gov-sucks wrote:
<quoted text>380 is a gun made for girls
As a matter of fact I purchased it for my wife.

“American Sheepdog”

Location hidden

#15 Jan 17, 2009
gov-sucks wrote:
<quoted text>380 is a gun made for girls
Really? And why is that?

“American Sheepdog”

Location hidden

#16 Jan 17, 2009
The attempts at trashing of the US Constitution has begun. An Obama Administration wishes to make it so that Presidential term limits are eliminated and Obama can be seated as "king" for life.... This is scary:

http://wnd.com/index.php...

“ALL AMERICAN”

Since: Aug 08

Long Beach, CA

#17 Jan 18, 2009
Trin Tragula wrote:
<quoted text>
Really? And why is that?
to small,no power

“American Sheepdog”

Location hidden

#18 Jan 18, 2009
gov-sucks wrote:
<quoted text>to small,no power
OK - let's test it. I can shoot some of my Corbon DPX .380 rounds into your skull. Are you willing to test this?

I carry a .45 with me all the time, but when I do carry my Bersa .380 with CorBon DPX when traveling light, I would trust my life to it. So do many others.

http://www.bersatalk.com
Sicilianu

Richmond, VA

#19 Jan 18, 2009
Trin Tragula wrote:
<quoted text>
OK - let's test it. I can shoot some of my Corbon DPX .380 rounds into your skull. Are you willing to test this?
I carry a .45 with me all the time, but when I do carry my Bersa .380 with CorBon DPX when traveling light, I would trust my life to it. So do many others.
http://www.bersatalk.com
Firstly Trin ... thanks for posting this link to Bersa! I have one too, and I really like it for a light carry as you say. Tell me more about he CorBon. I saw that you mentioned this round a few days ago but could not remember where. FPS? Grain? Why did you choose it. Thanks S.

“American Sheepdog”

Location hidden

#20 Jan 18, 2009
Sicilianu wrote:
<quoted text>
Firstly Trin ... thanks for posting this link to Bersa! I have one too, and I really like it for a light carry as you say. Tell me more about he CorBon. I saw that you mentioned this round a few days ago but could not remember where. FPS? Grain? Why did you choose it. Thanks S.
80 grain, 1050 fps.

Basically, it's a copper top bullet - no lead at all. It is a deep penetration round (thus the DPX designation). Instead of turning into a mushroom when it expands, it opens like a flower petal and makes a nice big hole.

https://www.dakotaammo.net/shop/product_info....

Here's a very good article specifically featuring the Bersa Thunder .380 and the DPX rounds for self defense:

http://gunner777.wordpress.com/2008/12/20/ber...

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 8
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

The Light Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Funds from bracelet sales to support search eff... (Jul '15) Oct '15 Just Go Away 7
News Taylor inherits Inkster students, unused school... (Sep '13) Sep '13 kev 3
News Peter Hook Takes Jab at New Order Rift, Covers ... (Sep '11) Sep '11 RacaecaR 1
News Anberlin and Circa Survive at the Newport (Jan '11) Jan '11 - UR1 - RIGHT NOW 1
News CB Follett chosen as Marin's new poet laureate (Jun '10) Jun '10 Don 3
News YMCA Tries To 'Light Up The C' In Name, Programs (May '10) May '10 Peterson 1
News Chalk Festival comes to Pasadena (Jun '09) Jun '09 Wow 2
More from around the web