Lemonheads' Dando sues GM over alleged song copy

Lemonheads founder Evan Dando is suing General Motors , saying the auto giant copied one of his songs for an ad. Full Story
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
LLLL

Lahr, Germany

#1 Jun 6, 2009
Uh... if the Lemonheads are seeking profits from the campaign, then it's safe to say that they are complete idiots or they have been living under a rock for the past few years. But, I suppose now that GM is owned just about by the U.S. Government, the taxpayers will have to pay for this B.S. Figures...
Union Label

Northbrook, IL

#2 Jun 6, 2009
LLLL wrote:
Uh... if the Lemonheads are seeking profits from the campaign, then it's safe to say that they are complete idiots or they have been living under a rock for the past few years. But, I suppose now that GM is owned just about by the U.S. Government, the taxpayers will have to pay for this B.S. Figures...
This is the only way I'd pay for a Lemonheads song; BTW - What ever happened to them? They dropped of the face of the earth rather quickly. Evan's tween fans must have grown out of their puppy love stage.
Jean

Prospect Heights, IL

#3 Jun 6, 2009
I'd forgotten about ED til now ... maybe he's broke & needs the money?
Bill Hicks

Mundelein, IL

#4 Jun 6, 2009
Can we charge Evan with impersonating a musician? What a mediocre hack this guy is.

I'll give him five bucks to buy a chord book so he can at least add one or two more to the four he already knows.
Your Creator

Chicago, IL

#5 Jun 6, 2009
Wow, thanks a bunch for giving us the phonetic pronunciation of "Dando." Until now there was just all manner of mass confusion about that.
Your Creator

Chicago, IL

#6 Jun 6, 2009
Jean wrote:
I'd forgotten about ED til now ... maybe he's broke & needs the money?
Possibly; the Lemonheads have stooped to playing at the Abbey Pub in about two weeks.
Michael Una

United States

#7 Jun 6, 2009
Aww man, everybody's ripping on Evan Dando. I'll stand up for him- the guy writes good, catchy songs.

Just because they don't play The Lemonheads on XRT anymore doesn't mean they're not out there making good music.
The Point Is

Brooklyn, NY

#8 Jun 6, 2009
he has a copyright on the song

why shouldn't he be compensated! It's his song and they didn't have permission to use it
an opinion

Algonquin, IL

#9 Jun 6, 2009
they will try and settle by giving him a car. Something out of inventory.
Jean

Prospect Heights, IL

#11 Jun 6, 2009
Your Creator wrote:
<quoted text>
Possibly; the Lemonheads have stooped to playing at the Abbey Pub in about two weeks.
Heh ... I didn't know they got back together. Thanks.
Proud Owner of GM

United States

#12 Jun 6, 2009
an opinion wrote:
they will try and settle by giving him a car. Something out of inventory.
The latest good news is yes, the car is available, the bad news is the warranty is only 2,000 miles or 3 red lights, whichever comes first.

Since: Jan 09

Rockford

#13 Jun 6, 2009
Union Label wrote:
<quoted text>
This is the only way I'd pay for a Lemonheads song; BTW - What ever happened to them? They dropped of the face of the earth rather quickly. Evan's tween fans must have grown out of their puppy love stage.
Rather quickly? The band formed in late 1986. Released three independent albums, Hate Your Friends (1987), Creator (1988), and Lick (1989). The band was signed to Atlantic in 1990 and released four more albums Lovey(1990), It's a Shame About Ray (1992), Come on Feel The Lemonheads(1993), Car Button Cloth(1996). Evan Dando disbanded The Lemonheads in 1997. I think an 11 year career is fairly successful for a band, don't you?
SDG

Chicago, IL

#14 Jun 7, 2009
Your Creator wrote:
<quoted text>
Stooped from what? I doubt you check the Abbey's schedule much if you think playing there is so shameful. Some of the greatest songwriters and musicians of the last 50 years have played there in my recent memory. Grow up.
SDG

Chicago, IL

#15 Jun 7, 2009
Kim 0806 wrote:
<quoted text>Rather quickly? The band formed in late 1986. Released three independent albums, Hate Your Friends (1987), Creator (1988), and Lick (1989). The band was signed to Atlantic in 1990 and released four more albums Lovey(1990), It's a Shame About Ray (1992), Come on Feel The Lemonheads(1993), Car Button Cloth(1996). Evan Dando disbanded The Lemonheads in 1997. I think an 11 year career is fairly successful for a band, don't you?
Thank you for this. And I have to go on record as saying that Dando was the nicest gentleman when I had the thankless job of interviewing him following the release of "It's a Shame About Ray." Sick of my job, I stopped him midway through and said, "You must get sick of talking to people like me." I couldn't have expected a nicer response from any of the other a$$holes I ever interviewed.
SDG

Chicago, IL

#16 Jun 7, 2009
LLLL wrote:
You need therapy. Do you see how you've gone to practically blaming Obama in 3 self-possessed steps? Calm down, have a cigarette or a doughnut or whatever calms you down, man.
SDG

Chicago, IL

#17 Jun 7, 2009
Bill Hicks wrote:
Can we charge Evan with impersonating a musician? What a mediocre hack this guy is.
I'll give him five bucks to buy a chord book so he can at least add one or two more to the four he already knows.
And how many memorable songs have you written, buffoon? "It's a Shame About Ray" is an effortless and breezy pop classic and will remain such forever.
Your Creator

Chicago, IL

#18 Jun 7, 2009
SDG wrote:
<quoted text> Stooped from what? I doubt you check the Abbey's schedule much if you think playing there is so shameful. Some of the greatest songwriters and musicians of the last 50 years have played there in my recent memory. Grow up.
Spare me, pal. I live right near the place and I've spent my fair share of time there, so I know who plays there and what goes on there. It's a nice little microvenue but it ain't nothin' special.

Stooped from what, you ask? From playing at actual clubs, which they could usually sell out back before people realized the Lemonheads were a miracle cure for insomnia.

You make it like the Abbey is some prestigious venue, as if an artist can say "wow, I've really made it!" after playing there. Yeah, some of the supposedly greatest songwriters have played there -- or the most washed-up at any rate. And so have a whole parade of screeching, talentless hacks who managed to scrape together a few bucks to rent the stage.

Since: Jan 09

Rockford

#19 Jun 7, 2009
Your Creator wrote:
<quoted text>
Spare me, pal. I live right near the place and I've spent my fair share of time there, so I know who plays there and what goes on there. It's a nice little microvenue but it ain't nothin' special.
Stooped from what, you ask? From playing at actual clubs, which they could usually sell out back before people realized the Lemonheads were a miracle cure for insomnia.
You make it like the Abbey is some prestigious venue, as if an artist can say "wow, I've really made it!" after playing there. Yeah, some of the supposedly greatest songwriters have played there -- or the most washed-up at any rate. And so have a whole parade of screeching, talentless hacks who managed to scrape together a few bucks to rent the stage.
You are a jerk. Lots of talented people have performed at the Abbey. When was the last time you had the nerve to write something from your heart and get up and perform in front of an audience?

There is an ebb and flow with the music industry. What is popular today may not be popular tomorrow. I applaud those who have the guts to be vulnerable and pursue their dreams wherever it may take them.
Bill Hicks

Mundelein, IL

#20 Jun 7, 2009
SDG wrote:
<quoted text> And how many memorable songs have you written, buffoon? "It's a Shame About Ray" is an effortless and breezy pop classic and will remain such forever.
Tons of songs. Some of them have chords other than G, C, D and Em!

Effortless is a good word to describe Mr. Dando's songwriting.
Your Creator

Chicago, IL

#22 Jun 7, 2009
Kim 0806 wrote:
<quoted text>You are a jerk. Lots of talented people have performed at the Abbey. When was the last time you had the nerve to write something from your heart and get up and perform in front of an audience?
You're right. There are a lot of people pouring their hearts out and I feel bad for having mocked their efforts.

Wait a minute -- no I don't. Shaddap! It would be an act of mercy if someone, anyone, would have the courage to tell a whole lot of the aspiring "artists" who saturate this town just how appallingly dreadful they are. Showing them praise they don't deserve does them no service.

Since you ask, it's been a long time since I performed onstage. You know why that is? Because I'm not a talented songwriter or performer. But at least I possess the introspection required to acknowledge that fact. Accordingly, I don't find it necessary to warble into a microphone all angst-like about how my privileged, parent-funded hipster life, like, totally sucks & stuff and hope the audience will give me a faint, polite clap as they secretly beg for sweet death. A whole bunch of aspiring "artists" out there who whose greatest act of compassion toward mankind would be to just SHUTTHEFUCKUP and go find out where their actual talents lie.

In all seriousness, kudos to places like the Abbey for giving both talented and awful "artists" a place to air their pipes. But don't expect me to pretend like playing there is some prestigious accomplishment,'k? Thanks.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

The Lemonheads Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Give thanks for the Valley's classic rock conce... Oct '14 Ace McMillan 2
Music Review: The Lemonheads - Hotel Sessions (Jan '12) Jan '12 awolgina 1
Da Kine (Jun '09) Jun '09 John Marshall 1
GM sued over alleged use of Lemonheads song (Jun '09) Jun '09 mal 1
Squeezing out a career (Feb '07) Feb '07 jjj 1
More from around the web