Land Trust adds to Watsonville wetlan...

Land Trust adds to Watsonville wetlands preservation

There are 19 comments on the Santa Cruz Sentinel story from Dec 31, 2009, titled Land Trust adds to Watsonville wetlands preservation. In it, Santa Cruz Sentinel reports that:

A 45-acre property that provides resting habitat for migratory birds and land for farming west of Highway 1 has been acquired by a conservation group.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Santa Cruz Sentinel.

Water Berry Ponzi Scheme

Santa Cruz, CA

#2 Dec 31, 2009
The Santa Cruz Land Trust is not being very gentle with the Earth.

http://www.santacruzsentinel.com/ci_11365399...

www.begentlewiththeearth.com

Respectfully submitted,
Douglas Deitch
ED
Monterey Bay Conservancy
Skeptic08

Kasilof, AK

#3 Dec 31, 2009
This is so wonderful, another property saved and another step to saving the sloughs. The bird watching is great so I hope everyone is getting a chance to see this complex of wetlands.

Since: May 08

Santa Cruz, CA

#4 Dec 31, 2009
Doug, instead of working to buy all the farmland in south county so that you can make a park out of it and let it go fallow, why don't you work on how to capture rainwater runoff which could be injected into aquifers? Seems like a winning solution to me, because the farmers can continue to use the land, whereas your idea seems like an economical failure.
Water Berry Ponzi Scheme

Santa Cruz, CA

#5 Dec 31, 2009
Xanthippe wrote:
Doug, instead of working to buy all the farmland in south county so that you can make a park out of it and let it go fallow, why don't you work on how to capture rainwater runoff which could be injected into aquifers? Seems like a winning solution to me, because the farmers can continue to use the land, whereas your idea seems like an economical failure.
X.,
Sorry you still don't get it. You need to study this issue in more depth. I suggest first watching "Our Inconvenient Truth"...it was shown on SC Community TV 3 times last week and will be rebroadcast...also, it will soon be posted on the SC Comunity TV website for viewing at your convenience very soon.
This indicates that you have been very successfully "dumbed down" by the Farm Bureau, Agri-Culture, "Santa Cruz Resource Conservation District", etc...
Your idea is impossible.
We can't possibly "inject" enough water to compensate for overpumping the aquifer 3 times or 200% it's sustainable yield yearly for berries to export all over the world....for how many decades?(We do grow 25% of the entire country's supply annually in little Pajaro (not "Salinas") Valley, you of course realize?
However, now it's too late for reasonable measures to cure the disaster....over the last 20-30 years the Pajaro/SqCWD basin has been irretrievably ruined and pumped down so 80% of the basin is permanently below sea level ALL YEAR ROUND AND WILL FOREVER BE SO!

I'm sorry you just can't seem to appreciate the gravity of the long term abuse of this water system and it's repercussions for us all...but you certainly will soon when you start receiving your new SCMU water bills, including your new charges for the desal plant water.
Water Berry Ponzi Scheme

Santa Cruz, CA

#6 Dec 31, 2009
...also, the land doesn't have to go "fallow".
The only requirement that we must meet is that well water pumping from all "ag wells" on these properties must be stopped.
That this is accomplished is all that is important.
Fallowing and purchasing the land is the best way holistically to accomplish this in my estimation.
Any other approach which achieves this same objective would also be entirely acceptable!
Let's hear any other ideas to accomplish this, as well.
Continuing to rent this land and pump the wells to grow berries to pay the SC Land Trust employees to "save our sloughs, wetlands, and bird habitats" is a complete, unmitigated, intentional and purposeful environmental fraud and constitutes gross and incompetent mismanagement and stewardship...and should be recognized as such.
My main question is what are the environmental "credentials" and other qualifications and backgrounds of Ms. Corwin and Mr. Slade of the private North County based SC Land Trust which qualify their environmental competence and indicate that these people have any idea what they are doing with the millions of dollars of our public and now scare environmental grants, funds, and other public monies they are receiving?(other than be a front organization for ag business and the Farm Bureau)

“On your left”

Since: May 08

Watsonville

#7 Dec 31, 2009
Go, Doug!
thirsty

Santa Cruz, CA

#8 Dec 31, 2009
So are they going to fallow the land or just support the status quo which is killing the aquifer?
planner

Santa Cruz, CA

#9 Dec 31, 2009
Skeptic08 wrote:
This is so wonderful, another property saved and another step to saving the sloughs. The bird watching is great so I hope everyone is getting a chance to see this complex of wetlands.
...Except existing codes and regulations are supposedly protecting this habitat already...So why do we need to spend $$$ to buy it to "protect" it if the same old land use is going to continue? I'm with Doug on this one...
Douglas Deitch

Santa Cruz, CA

#11 Dec 31, 2009
I'm waiting for your response and action, Bill Monning and Joe Simitian-both Coastal Conservancy board members, to my request to you on Feb 18, 2009, that this matter be reconsidered by the Coastal Conservancy based on my allegations contained in the above email to you.
Respectfully,
Douglas Deitch
ED/MBC
SC-Native

San Francisco, CA

#12 Dec 31, 2009
And now our tax dollars
will be used to maintain it!

No thanks! sell it and build housing!
Robert Stephens

AOL

#13 Dec 31, 2009
Doug I appreciate your comments..but what are you doing to help? Perhaps if you sold all your buildings and bought some farm land and fallowed it, then I would think you where doing something. Why aren't you doing this, if this is so important to you?

Also, all of the bioloigist and other empoyees involved in the federal and state agencies that provide funding to the land trust think the land trust is doing the right thing, so it is not just Terry and Stephen.
Douglas Deitch

Santa Cruz, CA

#14 Dec 31, 2009
Robert Stephens wrote:
Doug I appreciate your comments..but what are you doing to help? Perhaps if you sold all your buildings and bought some farm land and fallowed it, then I would think you where doing something. Why aren't you doing this, if this is so important to you?
Also, all of the bioloigist and other empoyees involved in the federal and state agencies that provide funding to the land trust think the land trust is doing the right thing, so it is not just Terry and Stephen.
Thanks for your comments and suggestions and your family's huge financial support of our environment here from Coast Dairies on down south.
Robert, I as a significant landowner in this very area,(1100 acres inherited from David Packard?), I would respectfully suggest that you also study this issue in more depth. It is your responsibility as a responsible steward.
I own one building, which is for sale, and not being a Packard heir, I'm afraid my resources are rather limited. We need another Coast Dairies, actually. However, I do work for free and pay all of my substantial expenses and very much in the way of aggravation and frustration with people who don't vote or take responsibility as informed and participatory citizens.
I'm sorry this offends you.
www.begentlewiththeearth.com
Mister Mean

San Francisco, CA

#15 Dec 31, 2009
Just another case of a large landowner getting a huge tax break (i.e. shifting taxes to the rest of us) in exchange for not developing land they never had the desire to develop in the first place.
Questioning

Atherton, CA

#16 Dec 31, 2009
I've read all the materials Doug D promotes and have one question for him I can't find the answer to. How much water is left in the aquifer and how much longer can it be overdrafted? I've talked to people who think this whole overdraft this is way overblown because there is plenty of water at lower level aquifers. I don't know, but seems to be an important question.
Skeptic08

Kasilof, AK

#17 Dec 31, 2009
There seems to be a confusion of issues, if there were no land conservation effort the whole Pajaro Valley would have been paved over long ago. In order to keep developement away the land needs permanent protection, not just zoning which can be changed. As for the soil erosion and the aquifer depletion that goes on, it is a testiment to the power of the ag lobby that they can continue to commit these crimes in the 21st century.
Douglas Deitch

Santa Cruz, CA

#18 Dec 31, 2009
Questioning wrote:
I've read all the materials Doug D promotes and have one question for him I can't find the answer to. How much water is left in the aquifer and how much longer can it be overdrafted? I've talked to people who think this whole overdraft this is way overblown because there is plenty of water at lower level aquifers. I don't know, but seems to be an important question.
Who are "the people" you are talking to? That's the first question I would have for you.
In respect to your question, as I earlier wrote, after decades of 200% overdrafting to grow berries and export the water these berries contained and otherwise required for their production, the basin has been pumped down so that 80% or so of the basin is below sea level all year long and will permanently remain so or worsen, unless pumping practices drastically change and diminish...
We don't use our ground water sustainably as the renewable resource it is and should be.
We mine and use it to it's exhaustion like oil...
and since we are right next to the coast, the sea and Monterey Bay pour continuously and inexorably right on in.
How badly?
THe late Marc Reisner, author of Cadillac Desert, speaking here at a water forum in Watsonville in 1998 to a packed house of farmers...said it was the worst in the world...and nothing has changed.
Mato Mawgaratz

Mountain View, CA

#19 Dec 31, 2009
Once again, the PVWMA has blown a chance to influence the amount of water being pumped in this critical West of Hwy. 1 area. Have some regard for the rest of the Pajaro Valley residents. Give yourselves up !
Douglas Deitch

Santa Cruz, CA

#20 Jan 1, 2010
ps...fyi
"Agri-Culture", the propaganda arm of the SC Farm Bureau and local ag biz (along w/ organizations like "Leadership Santa Cruz" and the "Shippers/Growers Union", etc) is slated soon to take over control and management of Coast Dairies Ranch from the Trust For Public Lands.
Expect more of the same mismanagement and incompetent stewardship, irresponsible water use, and environmental degradation on the North Coast.
SC Land Trusts Vision

Santa Cruz, CA

#22 Jan 1, 2010

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

The Land Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News The Malay Archipelago by Alfred Russel Wallace ... (Jan '13) Jan '13 Taaloo Clement 1
News Kota Kinabalu: Land below the wind (Nov '10) Aug '11 PelangiQ 142
More from around the web