Isn't It time: Kennedy Center honors ...

Isn't It time: Kennedy Center honors for The Grateful Dead

There are 2 comments on the Daily Kos story from Apr 6, 2013, titled Isn't It time: Kennedy Center honors for The Grateful Dead. In it, Daily Kos reports that:

This has been bothering me ever since I watched President Obama honor Led Zeppelin at Kennedy Center.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Daily Kos.

dfv

Camden, NY

#1 Apr 11, 2013
Not that the Dead ever needed the approval of The Establishment to validate their contribution to the music scene and the world of music, but it's ironic that, given their longevity and crazy number of live performances, devoted followers, and truly unique place in American music that they wouldn't be honored by now. It would be an exercise in stupidity to try to compare and argue which band is more worthy of the Kennedy Center Honor, taste in music being individual, and Zeppelin's contribution truly significant, but suffice to say that to ignore a band that toured extensively for thirty years with a repertoire both drawing from and contributing enormously to the fabric of American music is indicative of how irrelevant the Honors can be.
On a similar note, although I'm an enormous Stone's fan and pleased that these guys are still offering us their energy and music, it frustrates me to hear the over emphasis on their fifty years when they only offered tours once every so many years, while a band like the Dead toured extensively almost every year of their thirty together. It's like bragging on a fifty year anniversary with a spouse that you only had to live with for a few months every few years.

Since: Feb 11

Location hidden

#2 Apr 11, 2013
They won't do it! They know it will bore the shit out of people.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

The Grateful Dead Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
owsley belt buckle (Apr '08) Sep 1 Lee 70
News Naked activists parade in San Francisco's Haigh... Aug 27 Sammy 1
What Would Your Nickname Be At The Grateful Dea... Aug 27 herseydenvar 1
News The 20th annual Gathering of the Vibes music fe... Aug '16 Samuels Furnace Man 6
FRANCE on Shakedown LIVE??? Jun '16 Justin 1
News Hawaii: Kava conquers all during a mellow eveni... Apr '16 June Ann 1
News Keith Richards Takes Aim at Led Zeppelin and Th... (Oct '15) Mar '16 Crash 3
More from around the web