Somewhere, Jerry's smiling

Somewhere, Jerry's smiling

There are 63 comments on the Lowell Sun story from Jul 1, 2010, titled Somewhere, Jerry's smiling. In it, Lowell Sun reports that:

Arlette Rodriguez was hoping for a miracle. She raised her index finger in the air and swayed to the classic sounds of the Grateful Dead.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Lowell Sun.

Joke

Cheswick, PA

#22 Jul 1, 2010
perfect, now there are more people in Lowell that haven't showered in weeks other than the homeless, people without green cards, and Micky Ward.
Spinners Fan

New York, NY

#23 Jul 1, 2010
Maybe the city should have let local businesses know this concert was taking place last night. It brought in a ton of cash to Lowell and maybe would have brought in more if the city had let bars and restauarnts know to stock up and be ready. The Sun should have promoted this concert more as well..Read about it in the Globe before I read it in the Sun.
Fred

Westford, MA

#24 Jul 1, 2010
Thank you Lowell for a beautiful day!
Fred

Westford, MA

#25 Jul 1, 2010
Why all the hate expressed in these comments?

Hate is the the one thing I did *not* see yesterday. Just beautiful people coming together to share music they love.
Mrrrrrrrrrr

Lowell, MA

#26 Jul 1, 2010
Patrick wrote:
Yo, what up fellow DEADHEADS,
I meet a girl at the show last night whose name was Kaitlin. She was 19 and went to college in Philadelphia (she also had flowers in her hair). We pounded down a few beers before we made our way into the show. At intermission we smoked a blunt and bought more beers, but than we got separated.
I know it’s a shoot in the dark, but if Kaitlin is out there and she’s reading this, than you need to hit me up pronto so we can chill again. It was a bummer we didn’t exchange numbers when we had the chance.
Email me at [email protected]
is this guy for real? putting his email on this thing? hahaha. hey patrick, try match.com
Col_Forbin

North Springfield, VT

#27 Jul 1, 2010
Time for the meatstick,
Bury the meatstick,
Take out the meatstick time
Whoa, shocks my brain
Whoa, shocks my brain
Lucky Luckster

Lowell, MA

#28 Jul 1, 2010
All this chatter reminds me of the old line; "What did the Deadhead say when the drugs wore off?" "This music sucks!"
lol

Amherst, MA

#29 Jul 1, 2010
I had a great time at the show. Bunch of harmless people hanging out. Better than the typical gang violence on a friday night.
Col_Forbin

North Springfield, VT

#30 Jul 1, 2010
Yo Brah let me get a schwill off that Sammy Smith
JStraw

Grand Rapids, MI

#31 Jul 1, 2010
Good job, Andrea, for highlighting what is arguably one of the biggest blights on the scene: ticketless people bounding around looking for a handout. You treat it with a naive sense of benign whimsy. A "Miracle" ticket-seeker is someone looking for a freebie. These folks travel around the circuit, overcrowd the scene, and add little if anything to the experience. Classic example of a 'user' versus a 'contributor.'

There were ample tickets available at the box office for anyone looking to purchase a ticket, like the majority of working folks who don't live with this distorted, fantastical view of what the 60's must have been all about and that's how they think things should be now. The band charged for tickets then, they charge for tickets now. Vendors charge for food, beer, and souvenirs then, they do now. These same folks often expect to score free alcohol, drugs, food, whatever might be available, or may buy their own contraband and then score a 'miracle' so they can go in and live the dream.

The band has always pleaded with their constituency not to come to a venue without a ticket, it's been an ongoing mantra. They've made public declarations and issued flyers discouraging what you describe right out of the gate in your article. Is ignoring the wishes of the band that has given its fans so much for so many years really hip, far out, and cool?

If you can afford to roam the country from city to city, take your hand out of the air, put it in your wallet, pull out some cash, and buy a ticket. Otherwise, please stay home. I'm tired of bumping into you outside the show.

And Andrea, how about a review of the show? It's the music- not the cosmic musings of wannabe hippies- that make the scene special.

Since: Jul 08

chelmsford,ma

#32 Jul 1, 2010
I agree with Jack Straw. It's about the music, not some guy chatting on his cell phone walking around outside the venue with his finger in the air.

Had a great time with great people last night. The boys didn't let us down. Thank you, for a real good time...
MissElaineous

Montgomery, AL

#33 Jul 1, 2010
I had a great time last night!
Swamp Gas

Granby, CT

#34 Jul 1, 2010
Lucky Luckster wrote:
All this chatter reminds me of the old line; "What did the Deadhead say when the drugs wore off?" "This music sucks!"
ok
Stellablu122

United States

#35 Jul 1, 2010
Thanks for hosting us last night. The park and staff were great and we all had a grand time. Hope to go back next summer.Nice pics to go along with a good article. Go Red Sox!
WDW

Hollis, NH

#36 Jul 1, 2010
THERE WAS ONE ARREST WHEN A CONCERT GOER DID A "BELLY BOP" TO A COP DIRECTING TRAFFIC. SMART MOVE. I SAW IT LOOKED LIKE THE COP HASN'T LEFT HIS FEET IN A DECADE OR SO. ALL IN ALL NICE, PEACEFUL TIME. SMOKED TWO BONES AND HAD 6 BEERS ..........
Jason Stackhouse

Medford, MA

#37 Jul 1, 2010
I wonder how many drug arrests were made?
Jason Stackhouse

Medford, MA

#38 Jul 1, 2010
Col_Forbin wrote:
Time for the meatstick,
Bury the meatstick,
Take out the meatstick time
Whoa, shocks my brain
Whoa, shocks my brain
Take your Phish talk elsewhere....

At least quote some Dead lyrics?
Jason Stackhouse

Medford, MA

#39 Jul 1, 2010
The Rooster wrote:
The only thing worst worst than the Grateful Dead is Grateful Dead fans.
Or idiots that can't put a sentence together...
George Koumantzelis

Lowell, MA

#40 Jul 1, 2010
FURTHUR play in Jack Kerouac's home town - Lowell, Massachusetts - on June 30, 2010 on a beautiful summer day, with a cool breeze, no humidity, and 70 degree sunshine weather. Venus was up in the sky smiling down onto the stage in the outfield, as good vibrations of Not Fade Away wafted into the bleechers behind the dugouts where we all were seated in the sweet spot. Very HIGH Energy!... Read more here: http://www.lowellsun.com/ci_15418647 ... "Crazy Neal at the wheel on a bus to Never Ever Land !!! Coming around!...
jake speed

Mansfield, MA

#41 Jul 1, 2010
Great idea legalizing pot, just go to a dead concert and see all the wacked out commies contibuting to the betterment of society in general. yes a bunch of nonworking lay abouts doing nothing but smoking pot and sucking on ballons following some has beens around the country. At least some illegal aliens work.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

The Grateful Dead Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News 'Long Strange Trip' Director: Childhood Trauma ... Nov 13 Phyllis Schlafly ... 1
owsley belt buckle (Apr '08) Jul '17 Joe 75
News He Said, She Said: a Long Strange Tripa is Rose... Jun '17 Parden Pard 3
News Wake The Dead brings Celtic and Grateful Dead m... (Mar '17) Mar '17 Welles 1
News Thief Gets Away With Grateful Dead Leader's Toilet (Apr '06) Mar '17 Ripple Phart 11
News Naked activists parade in San Francisco's Haigh... (Aug '16) Feb '17 James Ridgeway 8
News Gathering of the Vibes will not take place in 2017 (Feb '17) Feb '17 America Gentleman... 4
More from around the web