City Council approves tax break for p...

City Council approves tax break for project at old Farah site

There are 37 comments on the El Paso Times story from Sep 16, 2008, titled City Council approves tax break for project at old Farah site. In it, El Paso Times reports that:

The City Council today agreed to pay up to $8 million to Paul Foster and his partners to raze the old Farah building, essentially paving the way for the construction of a shopping center at that site.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at El Paso Times.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
pancho anaya

El Paso, TX

#21 Sep 16, 2008
Popey wrote:
Read the "Bid Rigging Charges" that has made El Paso the corrupt city it is on the El Paso Time Business section:
http://www.topix.com/forum/source/el-paso-tim...
yea, "Melvin" is worried the cost of cement is going to cut into his profit margin when he builds 'the fountains' shopping center .
He still should be able to cut lots of corners, and throw up a 3rd rate development.
pancho anaya

El Paso, TX

#22 Sep 16, 2008
Binh Phuoc Bill wrote:
When the hell is the next mayoral election?
Hanging the S.O.B. by the scrotum would be impossible as he is probably an eunuch anyway. He looks like a cross between Elmer Fudd and the " What Me Worry" guy from MAD magazine.
What is the name going to be Crook's Highway Place?
At what point does this finally stop? All the grandiose conceived in a whorehouse projects, fees, taxes and other waste, corruption and pipeass smoke filled B.S.? Raise the bus fares - No Vote; Tax giveaway - No public votes? Stormwater Corruption- No vote; Don Onate - No Vote; Where's the Double "A" or MBL affilation now? Zoo Keepers that can't KEEP! An Engineer that approves sites and construction that only leads to more problems? ad infinitum !!
Cook is dumb, and has an IQ of about 47.

Any business deal he negotiates is very suspect, and not good for the city of El Paso
El Paso is going to shop it's way to a healthy economy, one crappy Payless store at a time --
-
Ain't no low-paying Mall jobs, or 10 year Tax Abatement going to get in our way !!!
Congrats Paul

El Paso, TX

#23 Sep 16, 2008
Way to go Foster! Thank you for putting your money into El Paso and making it an enjoyable place to live! It's about time someone took an interest in changing this city into a metropolitan city and not some rinky dink border town! Keep up the good work! Maybe now El Paso won't be laughed at all over the nation!
JACK

El Paso, TX

#24 Sep 16, 2008
_Arrrrrrr wrote:
the last week of summer something good happen in el paso almost, it's not a done deal the county comissioners court has to vote on it's $4 million tax break,well done job by mayor cook, it's 76 degrees fahrenheit in el paso very nice, but in other parts of el paso it's 176 degrees fahrenheit and the naysayers are boiling mad with insults it's like standing next to a restaurant dumpster on a hot hot hot el paso summer day just smelling that stinch coming from the naysay people how sweet it is.
EL PASO! your looking good.
Dear Mr. Arrrr,
Jack in the Box is now accepting applications for fry boyz at our new Fountains location.
Equal opportunity, no discrimination against homosexuals.
apply at www.jackinthebox.com

regards,
JACK
efw

El Paso, TX

#25 Sep 16, 2008
yep the city is paying Foster and his buddies and on top of that they are paying them 9% interest on our money. Can you believe that. We are paying 9%interest on our own money to Foster and crew.
Van-Zandt

Juárez, Mexico

#26 Sep 16, 2008
mena wrote:
<quoted text>
Check out Paul Foster CEO of Western Refining, stock price over the past Year, he has really s_crewed his Stock Holders :
September 2007 -$55/share.
August 2008 -$8/share.
http://bigcharts.marketwatch.com/quickchart/q ...
Foster is a LOUSY Businessman, no wonder he is RECEIVING a FREE hand-out !!!!!!!!!
hes just another Enron wannabe like Apodaca, Jones, Balsiger, Villalobos etc etc etc

“used to be elpasotxrox98... .”

Since: Apr 08

El Paso

#28 Sep 16, 2008
Thank god. This is really going to help El Paso. And in reality if you look at it, the only people against it are corperations from out-of-town like Bassett and Simon. Even the De La Vega are from Juarez. This is really going to benefit the city overall in the long run.

Kudos to City Council for listening and doing what is right for El Paso.

El Paso

#29 Sep 16, 2008
Van-Zandt wrote:
<quoted text>
hes just another Enron wannabe like Apodaca, Jones, Balsiger, Villalobos etc etc etc
Not even. This guy is actually trying to improve El Paso. Don't you know all the stuff he has done for the Sun City?

El Paso

#30 Sep 16, 2008
efw wrote:
yep the city is paying Foster and his buddies and on top of that they are paying them 9% interest on our money. Can you believe that. We are paying 9%interest on our own money to Foster and crew.
Which we will see again, several, several times over.

El Paso

#31 Sep 16, 2008
Joe wrote:
I cannot believe this.
Believe it. And it is great for El Paso. What do you care and how is it going to effect you in DFW?

El Paso

#32 Sep 16, 2008
Ugly Refinery Blight wrote:
''high-end landscaping ''
Foster doesn't care about the city, unless there's a $ to be made.
Otherwise, he'd put some decent Landscaping around his ugly oil refinery on I-10; as an environmental buffer zone.
Western Oil Refinery is the true Ugly BLIGHT along this section of I-10 !!
Wtf? So you don't think his donation of USD 50,000,000 to Texas Tech is caring? What does he get out of that. And what about his donation to UTEP? And he is leading the way into downtown revitalization unlike any other person. He is changing El Paso and is important to us if we like it or not.
Richard

AOL

#34 Sep 16, 2008
Many thanks to the forward thinking members of council that approved this tax break to allow bigger investment. Unfortunately, we still have the same old idiots of Quintana (The thief who will be in jail soon), Castro and Holguin. They are pitiful!
PZD

Juárez, Mexico

#35 Sep 17, 2008
elp guy wrote:
<quoted text>Not even. This guy is actually trying to improve El Paso. Don't you know all the stuff he has done for the Sun City?
Improve it? With a bunch of Jack in the Box's & other second class food places along with unattractive retail stores.
I would agree with you if I didnt have any class and or resources at all.
Joe

Pflugerville, TX

#36 Sep 17, 2008
elp guy wrote:
<quoted text>Believe it. And it is great for El Paso. What do you care and how is it going to effect you in DFW?
I own a home in EP and work on Mesa St. My work isp is in Dallas. Ever think of that one?

El Paso

#37 Sep 17, 2008
PZD wrote:
<quoted text>
Improve it? With a bunch of Jack in the Box's & other second class food places along with unattractive retail stores.
I would agree with you if I didnt have any class and or resources at all.
Lol. You have no idea what your talking about dude. He is TEARING DOWN the Jack in the Box Downtown to make way for a state-of-the art parking garage for the new business his renovated historic buildings will bring. Foster has donated USD 50,000,000 to Texas Tech and a lot to UTEP's new facilities. You have no idea who he is , do you.

El Paso

#38 Sep 17, 2008
Joe wrote:
<quoted text>
I own a home in EP and work on Mesa St. My work isp is in Dallas. Ever think of that one?
True. Then back what you say. Why shouldn't we get this new mall? It will pay for itself several times over over the course of the next decade if thats the problem
_Arrrrrrr

Moss Beach, CA

#39 Sep 17, 2008
JACK wrote:
<quoted text>
Dear Mr. Arrrr,
Jack in the Box is now accepting applications for fry boyz at our new Fountains location.
Equal opportunity, no discrimination against homosexuals.
apply at www.jackinthebox.com
regards,
JACK
good for you, how long have you worked at jack in the box and have been openly about your sexual orientation and preferances?
i hope you registered with the health department and they gave you a blood test before you get your food handlers card, it's esential for the well being of burger lovers.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

The Fountains Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Rutha s Chris Steak House Coming to El Paso Fou... (Nov '15) Nov '15 DC Dave 8
News Chuy's Mexican Restaurant opens first El Paso r... (Jul '15) Jul '15 Farting now 23
News Chuy's Mexican Restaurant looking to fill its n... (Jun '15) Jun '15 FajitaSharts 17
News $12M more to be spent on ramps near Cielo Vista... (Oct '14) Oct '14 Rudy Canoza 1
News Grimaldi's brick-oven pizza chain expanding to ... (Mar '14) Mar '14 noid 2
News Grimaldi's Pizzeria expands in Texas (Feb '14) Feb '14 Dean Wheeler 1
News Fountains at Farah shopping center wants your s... (May '13) Oct '13 JWRussell USRN 179
More from around the web