Council OKs $8 million to demolish Fa...

Council OKs $8 million to demolish Farah building

There are 255 comments on the El Paso Times story from Sep 16, 2008, titled Council OKs $8 million to demolish Farah building. In it, El Paso Times reports that:

Western Refining CEO Paul Foster and his Regency Centers partners will get up to $12 million in subsidized reimbursements from the city to raze the blighted Farah building and prepare the site for the ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at El Paso Times.

First Prev
of 13
Next Last
El Chuco

El Paso, TX

#1 Sep 17, 2008
Corruption wins again, taxpayers lose. this reeks of payback for the Medical center "donation". Thanks,in essence, to a hick mayor who buys the lie about 2500 jobs. Kudos to Developer's representative Emma Acosta, who's been oh so effective in championing the rights of the neighborhood residents near Three Legged Monkey and Wet Bar. NOT! Corporate welfare works to the benefit of one, and only one entity- corporations! Here's a suggestion Mayor Crook - why don't you put a Galleria style mall in your neighborhood for all the fabulously wealthy El Pasoans who live on the west side but want to observe "green" living. Typical NIMBY.
Not Blind

El Paso, TX

#2 Sep 17, 2008
Jeez Chuco, do the math, if you can, whether you want to call it $8 million or $12 million, the property taxes go up by $2.3 million every year. So in 4-6 years, guess what? They've not only paid the money back but they'll keep paying out an extra $2.3 million dollars (or more, just look at how much the property taxes keep going up and up) FOREVER.

That's what all you "don't give any tax breaks" people forget, the tax break does not last forever and once it's gone the property left over is worth more, EVEN IF IT SHUTS DOWN. Plus we're also getting rid of a blighted property with asbestos, lead paint and other environmental hazards.

Simon is whining about this even though they tried it once themselves and they make out better for having more stores there. Now instead of it just being Cielo Vista, Wal-Mart and Sam's you'll have a whole bunch of new stores. They're going to have to do something about the traffic (but this project is paying to do the study on it), but think about what kind of draw that'll be in the future (look at all the stuff around Sunland Park, that helps them, it doesn't hurt to have a lot more stores in the area).
Jerry K

El Paso, TX

#3 Sep 17, 2008
Not Blind - it is not a business deal as much as it is a principle that the City shouldn't be giving one-off tax breaks to anyone, expecially billionaires, however much their development will improve the area.
efw

El Paso, TX

#4 Sep 17, 2008
Of all the things that the City could use it's tax dollars for they choose a strip mall.
no name

El Paso, TX

#5 Sep 17, 2008
we don't need an up scale mall...we need other things in this city not a mall...thanks for nothing city council bunch off corrupt sob's
OGI Conservative Elitist

El Paso, TX

#6 Sep 17, 2008
Tax payers should not foot one cent for this project. I don't care what it is. This guy is a billionaire (no problem with that) but he should pony up the money not the tax payers. This is exactly why these left wing, tax and spend politicians need to go. Kudos to the ones who voted against it with the exception of Miss Lilly who voted against it for the wrong reason. Ms. Acosta you turned out to be exactly what I predicted, A bad idea for the tax payers. To not blind, I am sorry to say you are the kind of person that lets these people get away with this. Instead of paying back the money the first 4-6 years as you said how about the first 4-6 years that money is paid as tax revenue NOT PAYBACK MONEY.
De la Ve

Juárez, Mexico

#7 Sep 17, 2008
Its not corruption people! Stop complaining and start supporting your city!
Not Blind

El Paso, TX

#8 Sep 17, 2008
To Conservative Elitist

Yeah, that worked great the last time we did it. Simon asked for the tax break (but according to them it was ok when they did it, but not when someone LOCAL does it), "no tax break for you!" we told them. People used the same line you did, make them pay, don't give the rich people any money blah blah blah and what happened?

NOTHING!

The property sat there for 10 years, collecting LESS taxes, falling apart and looking like crap right next to the mall.

Good plan. Let's throw out idiotic partisan accusations at anyone who doesn't agree with your personal opinions. How about some name calling and sticking your fingers in your ears so you don't hear what you don't want to while we're at it?

To Jerry:

Eh, I can respect the general idea that you don't like it purely on principle, but some of us disagree. I think that investing some tax money into creating a significantly bigger revenue source that can conceivably benefit the city is a good thing. If you look at a lot of the rest of the complaints it's conspiracy nuts who think everyone who disagrees with them is crooked, and you have bitter people who have something against anyone who's made some money in their life.

If you look at Gustavo's blog, you'd see that the LOCAL companies that deal with properties were either ok with the deal or indifferent, it was mostly the OUT OF TOWN companies (like Simon) who had a problem with it. Funny isn't it? The people who make their money by being part of the community think it's either ok, or not a big deal, but the folks from other places (who have a vested interest in there being less competition) are the ones who don't want it. Of course Simon makes money by renting spaces not based on sales, the actual companies that we shop at usually do better with more stores nearby.
dcdude

Clarksville, MD

#9 Sep 17, 2008
I'm taken aback how city Rep.Acosta seems to view "the city" as a separate interest from that of the public when she said "We tried to come up with a win-win-win situation ... something that is good for the city, good for the public and good for the developers." As if there could be cases where the something that is good for the city may not necessarily be good for the public. Things that make you go hum!
dcdude

Clarksville, MD

#10 Sep 17, 2008
My family visited El Paso last month and there was not a whole lot of fun things to do. Especially for families with kids and teens. Any suggestions for next time?
Big Dick Daddy

Cedar Park, TX

#11 Sep 17, 2008
That's wonderful, help the rich with their construction project, while the poor get minimum wage jobs at the new center. I wonder how many will lose their jobs at Cielo, Sunland and Las Palmas because their sales quaotas will be down? Can Foster pay their unemployment claims?
Big Dick Daddy

Cedar Park, TX

#12 Sep 17, 2008
Not Blind wrote:
Jeez Chuco, do the math, if you can, whether you want to call it $8 million or $12 million, the property taxes go up by $2.3 million every year. So in 4-6 years, guess what? They've not only paid the money back but they'll keep paying out an extra $2.3 million dollars (or more, just look at how much the property taxes keep going up and up) FOREVER.
That's what all you "don't give any tax breaks" people forget, the tax break does not last forever and once it's gone the property left over is worth more, EVEN IF IT SHUTS DOWN. Plus we're also getting rid of a blighted property with asbestos, lead paint and other environmental hazards.
Simon is whining about this even though they tried it once themselves and they make out better for having more stores there. Now instead of it just being Cielo Vista, Wal-Mart and Sam's you'll have a whole bunch of new stores. They're going to have to do something about the traffic (but this project is paying to do the study on it), but think about what kind of draw that'll be in the future (look at all the stuff around Sunland Park, that helps them, it doesn't hurt to have a lot more stores in the area).
You do the math, Sir. You are claiming 2.3 mil in tax, that equates to almost 100M in value. that mall will not be worth 100m in value.
sorry. you math skills are poor, go back to community college.
Big Dick Daddy

Cedar Park, TX

#13 Sep 17, 2008
dcdude wrote:
My family visited El Paso last month and there was not a whole lot of fun things to do. Especially for families with kids and teens. Any suggestions for next time?
You should have visited the zoo, the muesems, the university, the state park, hueco tanks, the missions, the libraries, etc....
El Paso Citizen

AOL

#14 Sep 17, 2008
I knew it was going to be approved!
Paul Foster owns El Paso like a MAFIA king pin!
WE ALL KNOW - Several city reps are under his pay roll as well as Mayor Cook!!
PLEASE

Fort Huachuca, AZ

#15 Sep 17, 2008
Screw the corruption, build something that would finally put El Paso on the map for the right reasons. Build a Mills Mall or a Victoria Gardens, if either one of these were here El Paso would ROCK!
Baffled

Austin, TX

#16 Sep 17, 2008
More shopping malls is not what El Paso needs. With the poor economy and everything going up except the pay how is this going to benefit anyone here. Other than the zoo, the muesems, the university, the state park, hueco tanks, the missions, the libraries, etc....like Big Dick Daddy said we need more than that. You can only go to these places but eventually it gets to be not very interesting seeing the same thing over and over again. El Paso needs more entertainment especially for the younger society, like a big skate park, a skating rink something out of the ordinary in which
the whole family can enjoy and so can the tourists.
Bob

Plano, TX

#17 Sep 17, 2008
It's clear that Mayor Cook is in the pocket of the Foster Gang. Sticking it to the tax payers one more time.
Van-Zandt

Juárez, Mexico

#18 Sep 17, 2008
dcdude wrote:
Yup go to JUAREZ hahahah
RLoya

El Paso, TX

#19 Sep 17, 2008
Along with being the hottest, fattest and sweatest we will now also be known for the city with the most shopping malls and strip malls per capita.
Can I have a couple of million to put up a strip mall?
Jerry K

El Paso, TX

#20 Sep 17, 2008
I don't think anyone is in anyone else's pocket on this deal. It would be hard to do so when so much of the deal has been vetted in public. This isn't HACEP, after all. So get off the personal accusations. These are all - including Council - people of generally good will.

That said, the City's purse ought to be a level playing field, IMHO; it is not a good idea to give subsidies to developers for any reason unless the City itself is the developer. If the deal flies on its own merits, that is their reward. Let the City focus on helping them to expedite its way through the bureaucracy.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 13
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

The Fountains Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Rutha s Chris Steak House Coming to El Paso Fou... (Nov '15) Nov '15 DC Dave 8
News Chuy's Mexican Restaurant opens first El Paso r... (Jul '15) Jul '15 Farting now 23
News Chuy's Mexican Restaurant looking to fill its n... (Jun '15) Jun '15 FajitaSharts 17
News $12M more to be spent on ramps near Cielo Vista... (Oct '14) Oct '14 Rudy Canoza 1
News Grimaldi's brick-oven pizza chain expanding to ... (Mar '14) Mar '14 noid 2
News Grimaldi's Pizzeria expands in Texas (Feb '14) Feb '14 Dean Wheeler 1
News Fountains at Farah shopping center wants your s... (May '13) Oct '13 JWRussell USRN 179
More from around the web