Eagles' Henley, Heartbreakers' Campbell sue GOP assemblyman ove...

There are 13 comments on the LA Daily News story from Apr 17, 2009, titled Eagles' Henley, Heartbreakers' Campbell sue GOP assemblyman ove.... In it, LA Daily News reports that:

Mike Campbell, above, guitarist for Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers and co-writer of "The Boys of Summer," along with Eagles' drummer-singer Don Henley, is suing Assemblyman Chuck DeVore for using their hit song in a political online video.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at LA Daily News.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
BS Detector

Loma Linda, CA

#21 Apr 18, 2009
Taxpayer_Voter wrote:
<quoted text> Ted Nugent would object is a Dem used his songs, period. He wouldn't take their money either.
Perhaps.

So now one might ask, would a Democrat ever use a song associated with a known Republican?

the eye suggested "I'm sure it's happened somewhere...but since it's not all that newsworthy, the story is probably buried." Not flaming the eye for his observation or even disagreeing with it.

Yet Henley objecting to a Republican liking his music is, appatrently, newsworthy. Does that suggest an imbalance as to what constitutes 'news' and the bias of those who make that determination?
SAW

Diamond Bar, CA

#22 Apr 18, 2009
There would be no problem in either the Democratic or Republican camps if they respectively did the right thing, and they can--get permission from the individual artists for use of their music, whether it is parodied or not, and pay any copyrite fees that are legally required. If they don't want you using their music, then do not use it.
the eye

Arroyo Grande, CA

#23 Apr 18, 2009
BS Detector wrote:
<quoted text>
Perhaps.
So now one might ask, would a Democrat ever use a song associated with a known Republican?
the eye suggested "I'm sure it's happened somewhere...but since it's not all that newsworthy, the story is probably buried." Not flaming the eye for his observation or even disagreeing with it.
Yet Henley objecting to a Republican liking his music is, appatrently, newsworthy. Does that suggest an imbalance as to what constitutes 'news' and the bias of those who make that determination?
I think it only makes the news when there is actual litigation involved, which seems to be the case here.

According to the story, it wasn't so much that Henley objected to the congressman "liking" the song, but that he broke the copyright law by using it for the online video.
Meme2

Glendale, AZ

#24 Apr 18, 2009
the eye wrote:
<quoted text>
Nor do you, so what's your point?
Are you assuming that just because it hasn't been in the news that it hasn't happened...ever?
You just made our point for us. If it didn't make the news then it didn't happen.
the eye

Arroyo Grande, CA

#25 Apr 18, 2009
Meme2 wrote:
<quoted text>
You just made our point for us. If it didn't make the news then it didn't happen.
Whaaaaaaat?

You're saying: "IF IT DIDN'T MAKE THE NEWS THEN IT DIDN'T HAPPEN"?

Just because the news didn't tell you that the sun came up, did it not happen?

I don't understand your "logic".
Meme2

Glendale, AZ

#26 Apr 18, 2009
But you see, we all KNOW that the sun WILL come up. ;-)
BS Detector

Loma Linda, CA

#27 Apr 18, 2009
Meme2 wrote:
But you see, we all KNOW that the sun WILL come up. ;-)
So if we all KNOW you're an idiot, it's not news? Okay, I'll concede that one.
Robert Barrett

Georgetown, TX

#28 Apr 18, 2009
I am very disappointed in Mr. DeVore's handling of this case in referring to Don Henley as a "liberal" using "goon" tactics when Mr. Henley is simply protecting his intellectual property. Don Henley is an American Icon in my mind. Mr. DeVore is a politician riding on the tax payer's dollar.
Based on his poor "Holier than thou" attitude I DEEPLY hope he loses the Senate seat, as well as this lawsuit.$150,000 is CHEAP - it SHOULD have been in the millions in my honest opinion based upon what Mr. DeVore stands to gain by getting elected using the talent of an American Icon such as Don Henley - and then thumbing his nose at Don Henley and referring to him as a Liberal using "goon" tactics.
This ladies and gentleman is the caliber of our U.S. Government - with automatic pay raises and TRILLIONS in debt. Now they think they can do ANYTHING they please with ANYONE'S work. First they take our money in taxes - now they take our intellectual property and think they are talented? I do not think so.
JackZ

Kingston, PA

#29 Apr 18, 2009
Robert Barrett wrote:
I am very disappointed in Mr. DeVore's handling of this case in referring to Don Henley as a "liberal" using "goon" tactics
Stunning demonstration of no reading comprehension skills. "Liberal" referred to a publication, not Henley. "Legal goons" referred to Henley's lawyers, which is only mildly derogatory when compared to how many refer to lawyers, particularly ones who go after something as harmless as a youtube parody that happened to use Henley's tune (not the song).
George J Lujan

La Palma, CA

#30 Apr 19, 2009
DeVore subsequently responded to Henley's and Campbell's complaint that it is an assault on DeVore's First Amendment rights, and that defense is simply mistaken. In the first place, DeVore has the right to say anything he wants, and that right remains whether or not he appropriates, without payment or permission, Henley's and Campbell's intellectual property. Secondly, DeVore's response is both disappointing and alarming for at least three reasons:(1) It indicates DeVore's failure to adequately understand either the First Amendment or U.S. copyright law; (2) that a legislator lacks this understanding and, apparently, did not seek adequate legal counsel before coming up with such a flimsy defense that is also provably wrong, makes one wonder about his suitability to serve as a congressman, let alone seek the office of senator; and (3) to the extent we seek to curb the misappropriation of intellectual properties at home and abroad, shouldn't the media examine DeVore's voting record on intellectual property legislation. Regarding this last point, will we find ineptitude then or hypocrisy now? Henley and Campbell have every right to either allow, without comment, candidates they support to use their material or to seek legal redress to enforce their rights. I wish them luck.
Red-W-Blue

United States

#31 Apr 21, 2009
Chuck DeVore loves the FREE PUBLICITY! Senator Boxer is getting help back to Marin County and retire; from Don Henley! To make light that Babs' senate seat up for grabs is a bad omen! This story is all over the web and giving creativity a new name; Californians for Chuck DeVore U.S Senate! THANKS FOR A CHOICE, Don Henley!
Red-W-Blue

United States

#32 Apr 21, 2009
Robert Barrett wrote:
I am very disappointed in Mr. DeVore's handling of this case in referring to Don Henley as a "liberal" using "goon" tactics when Mr. Henley is simply protecting his intellectual property. Don Henley is an American Icon in my mind. Mr. DeVore is a politician riding on the tax payer's dollar.
Based on his poor "Holier than thou" attitude I DEEPLY hope he loses the Senate seat, as well as this lawsuit.$150,000 is CHEAP - it SHOULD have been in the millions in my honest opinion based upon what Mr. DeVore stands to gain by getting elected using the talent of an American Icon such as Don Henley - and then thumbing his nose at Don Henley and referring to him as a Liberal using "goon" tactics.
This ladies and gentleman is the caliber of our U.S. Government - with automatic pay raises and TRILLIONS in debt. Now they think they can do ANYTHING they please with ANYONE'S work. First they take our money in taxes - now they take our intellectual property and think they are talented? I do not think so.
The rules have been broken and the examples are out there; DEMOCRATS do not like the imperial agenda questioned! His Royal Highness Prince Donald; has no clothes!
Red-W-Blue

United States

#33 Apr 21, 2009
RosaL wrote:
It's called stealling dilbeck, using a song without it's writer's permission. I hope Don and Mike Get every penny. And Taxskater: thieving is what thieves do. Says a lot about your candidate and Rethugs in general.
The Repug creed:$$ uber alles!
This is silly! Who cares what Don Heneley,THINKS! It's her supreme highness our gracious and beloved senator that is the target! Who did Senator Clinton replace? What does the fmr Secretary of State, THINK? How did Senator Boxer greet her in the her senate comformation hearings, anybody remember?????????? RICE WAS FRIED!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

The Eagles Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News randy-travis Dec '14 sdyghs 1
News TDIM - Don Henley Turns 67 - 22nd July (Jul '14) Jul '14 John Avinash Rae 1
Best thing the Eagles ever did! (Jun '14) Jun '14 JoeWalshington 1
Tickets (May '14) May '14 Jill 1
News New Orleans music 'Hot Picks' for Sunday, Feb. ... (Feb '14) Feb '14 tburn84310 1
News About Dan Fogelberg (Aug '08) Jan '14 lexa55 16
News 2009 Harley-Davidson Street Glide Review (Dec '08) Jan '14 Dave 45
More from around the web